WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I use the cheap foam ones. They reduce the noise well enough while still enabling some sound to get through so my hearing doesn't feel too deprived. Too much reduction is uncomfortable for me.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can't wear them as the voices in my head cannot escape.
    Shuggo
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    I have the foam kind but I can't even remember to use them when I'm bush-hogging!
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    I've been using the Mack's silicone ones for years. They say on the package not to stick them into your ear canal itself, but that's what I do and it creates a serious seal that keeps out more noise than any other earplugs I've used.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144"x60"
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks
    I use two kinds of earplugs. Radians (DIY) custom molded, and 3M E.A.R. Classic foam.

The radians are great because they go in quickly, fit perfectly every time, and are very cheap compared to disposable plugs. They are very comfortable under a motorcycle helmet (my primary use), and while sleeping on my back. I would not recommend them if you sleep on your side.

The 3M E.A.R. classics are superior at noise blocking, and overall comfort, with the added bonus that they do a great job of cleaning out your ears. I can get two uses out of one pair while motorcycling, but 1 or two more if I'm just sleeping in them. after that they start to lose their resiliency. The downside is that they take a few seconds longer to insert correctly, and they are more expensive over time. These are by far, the best disposable plugs I have tried (and I've tried A LOT of them).

When I worked nights, I wore the 3Ms to bed. Now I just keep a few pairs in my MC gear in case the Radians get uncomfortable in my helmet (which they rarely do).

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    The first time I used ear plugs, was when I discovered the little campground at the bottom of Rich Mtn. on a motorcycle trip.

After I'd jumped in the hammock to turn in & had dozed off, a train came through blowing his horn just across the road. After a 2nd one came through later on, I was glad I had my ear plugs. After that & until morning, trains came through about every 3 hours.

As for earplugs on the trail? Not for me... I like to listen to all the sounds in the woods while I'm going to sleep.

+1 for the Mack's.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    As for earplugs on the trail? Not for me... I like to listen to all the sounds in the woods while I'm going to sleep.
    After about 3 hours of whippoorwills going at it you might change your mind!

I don't know what the heck they're doing all night, but it can be maddening.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    The first time I used ear plugs, was when I discovered the little campground at the bottom of Rich Mtn. on a motorcycle trip.

After I'd jumped in the hammock to turn in & had dozed off, a train came through blowing his horn just across the road. After a 2nd one came through later on, I was glad I had my ear plugs. After that & until morning, trains came through about every 3 hours.

Reminds me of my night in Rockwood on the Great Allegheny Passage. Train was across the river but it shook the ground, trees I was hanging on, and even my hammock. Earplugs helped but still woke every couple hours.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234