Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Yeah, that's what I was wondering too. Further complicating my decision... I'm basing the length off of folding in the ends (doors?) of the Kelty tarp. I would like a bit more ridgeline length for coverage of my (Dutch) hammock. If I'm going to drop a lot of dough on a new tarp, I would like to drop more than a pound once it's all said and done. If money were no object, I would get the Winter Palace. I am really liking the standard HG cuben fiber tarp with the doors. I saw where that one was available with a 12' ridgeline...

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    I went with the hg hex. Will there be a night here and there I think a door would a been nice? Will there be countless more nights the doors are never deployed? I think more of the latter. I wouldn't mind the weight of a winter place but the hex is half the cost and dutch stocks them. If I decide in the future I need them I will try harder in site selection and put my dutch winter sock on. I got a cf tarp, winter sock and used 2qzq uqp for less then a cf with doors. But it is heavier. Still lighter then my hh asym. Till I can trust in my hang I will carry it all. But I have no regrets.
    In the shadows

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brady1 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was wondering too. Further complicating my decision... I'm basing the length off of folding in the ends (doors?) of the Kelty tarp.
    Why would that have any bearing on your decision? I personally don't understand why people fold the ends inward - I've always folded my doors outward. Seems like six of one, a half dozen of the other. I see no advantage to folding the doors inward; therefore, I don't.

If I'm going to drop a lot of dough on a new tarp, I would like to drop more than a pound once it's all said and done.
    The Kelty Noah 12 is 35 ounces, so dropping a pound is pretty easy, even if you go with a Superfly at 19 ounces.

If money were no object, I would get the Winter Palace. I am really liking the standard HG cuben fiber tarp with the doors. I saw where that one was available with a 12' ridgeline...
    My first CF tarp was the HG Standard. I didn't have it long because I kept getting wet from blowing rain. I upgraded to the Winter Palace and haven't gotten wet once since. The extra width is worth the price.

I fail to see any advantage to a 12' ridgeline, just more weight. I'm not sure what magical properties a 12' ridgeline holds for you, but it better be a pretty important point.

An 11 ft. Winter Palace is 8.6 ounces - I've been using mine with a Dutch hammock for three or four years and have never gotten wet. I just don't see how an extra foot of ridgeline helps, other than increasing the minimum distance between trees you'll require.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 10-08-2016 at 20:47.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

My biggest tarp is 11 feet and has doors. I take it every time i go out. It's nice for the added wind protection if needed and for privacy. The smaller tarp (no doors, not as long) is mostly for when I bring a friend at this point. I sometimes think about taking the smaller one for the weight savings, but usually end up with the winter tarp. That being said, I have used the smaller doorless tarp in cold weather and in hail and was ok.

I see an advantage with a 12 foot ridgeline on my SLD winter tarp: I like the extra space of gives me when I use my 10 foot hammock. For winter trips, it gives me a place to stash my pulk and other gear. Combined with a knee wall along the perimeter made of snow, I can button up things pretty good for a cold Michigan winter night. It also gives me plenty of extra room for changing out clothes.

That being said, I recently purchased a HG CF standard 11 with doors. I only have a half dozen nights out with it so far and I'll probably use it through December then switch back to my SLD for snow season. First impression: love it!
    Last edited by michigandave; 10-08-2016 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I see an advantage with a 12 foot ridgeline on my SLD winter tarp: I like the extra space of gives me when I use my 10 foot hammock. For winter trips, it gives me a place to stash my pulk and other gear. Combined with a knee wall along the perimeter made of snow, I can button up things pretty good for a cold Michigan winter night. It also gives me plenty of extra room for changing out clothes.

That being said, I recently purchased a HG CF standard 11 with doors. I only have a half dozen nights out with it so far and I'll probably use it through December then switch back to my SLD for snow season. First impression: love it!
    This.

I just prefer that extra space that additional foot allows you. I usually hang my backpack off of the hammock suspension and I like having a little more space to mess around with there. Plus, I hang my boots off of the other end. If it does happen to rain in the middle of the night, the extra length is a bit of insurance.

@SilvrSurfr - On the doors thing, I meant the ends of the Kelty tarp, not actual doors. When I fold the ends over--to use them as doors--I don't have much length to play with. Does that make sense? Since we have the same hammock, and you have had good luck with the Winter Palace, I'm a little intrigued by that one.

I don't have doors but I also try to not be out in bad weather. If I get caught in a situation where I need doors I'm sure I'll regret everything.

Hammock
    Blackbird+Bonefire
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    LocoL/EE/Katabatic
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Here is another tarp worth considering. It's only 11' 4" but it got doors, extra width and it only weighs 12.8 oz! http://www.hummingbirdhammocks.com/pelican

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vladdtoo View Post
    Here is another tarp worth considering. It's only 11' 4" but it got doors, extra width and it only weighs 12.8 oz! http://www.hummingbirdhammocks.com/pelican
    That tarp has only been out a week or two. I wouldn't want to be the first one on the block to buy one. It's also expensive!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, WL XXL TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Got an Injector?

I currently have a Kelty Noah 12 but I'm looking for something lighter. I'm pretty much deciding on either the WB Superfly or the HG Cuben Fiber. I'm just not sure I want (or need?) doors if I go for the cuben fiber tarp. I figure if I need doors I'll just take the Kelty. Does this make sense? I just spent a week on the Superior Hiking Trail where it rained for 3 days straight. I only folded the "doors" in on one night. Otherwise, I had plenty of coverage to keep my dry.

Since using the Kelty Noah 12 footer quite a bit, I'm a fan of having that extra length covering the hammock. Unfortunately, it appears the Superfly is only an 11' ridgeline. I could at least custom order the HG cuben fiber tarp with a 12' ridgeline.

Are there any similar tarps to the Superfly at 12'? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the cuben fiber tarp?

Thoughts?
    I love my DIY. If it's hot I pull the doors in, but I like knowing they are there in case a storm brews. If I hadn't bought this I would probably go with a Superfly. I got a WBRR from Brandon and it's first rate.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/c...ane-hex12-tarp

That said, if you can afford the CF why the heck not?

Doors Closed.jpgDoors Open.jpg
    Last edited by MinnetonkaBoater; 10-10-2016 at 16:47. Reason: add pics

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast