Hammock
    Custom Dutchware
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator 20/SD TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was in the same boat as you at the beginning of this year. I had a dutch hammock and the kelty 12. I live in Minnesota and frequently hang in Mille Lacs Kathio, the BWCA, and SHT. I ended up ripping my kelty in a dry run of my setup the week before a BWCA trip and was in a serious bind to get a nice tarp and get it quickly. The only place that I found that was able to get me a custom tarp on such short notice was Wilderness Logics. Marty hooked me up big. I got a 12 ft Old Man Winter and it's absolutely amazing. The 11 foot is probably all you need, but I went for the 12 foot because I like the luxury. My buddy also has the same 11 foot dutch hammock and uses the Superfly. Obviously, his is a bit lighter because he has less fabric on his tarp. That said, I love my tarp and given the opportunity to buy any tarp, I'd go back to it. It's cheaper than cuben fiber, still very light, and super customizable (perhaps the most customizable on the market). When I feel like glamping, I have a pole mod that makes it absolutely huge inside. On top of that, the OMW comes with two loops on the inside that you use to pull your hammock up against the far wall. If you combine that with a porch mode configuration off the opposite side, you have an incredible amount of room to set up your chair if you bring one (I bring my Helinox One when I can afford the weight). In poor weather, my friends and I all sit under my configuration. That's 4 large men comfortably fitting under my tarp with my hammock present. It's quite amazing. Also, the doors are amazing and I'll never buy a tarp without them. I've experienced rain in a driving wind and not having doors is simply not an option. The "doors" on the Kelty simply cannot compare to a tarp that is actually designed to have doors. Mine actually hit the ground at an appropriate angle and keep the fabric taught... something I have not been able to achieve with the Kelty.20160904_100032[122].jpg

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Why would that have any bearing on your decision? I personally don't understand why people fold the ends inward - I've always folded my doors outward. Seems like six of one, a half dozen of the other. I see no advantage to folding the doors inward; therefore, I don't.

The Kelty Noah 12 is 35 ounces, so dropping a pound is pretty easy, even if you go with a Superfly at 19 ounces.

My first CF tarp was the HG Standard. I didn't have it long because I kept getting wet from blowing rain. I upgraded to the Winter Palace and haven't gotten wet once since. The extra width is worth the price.

I fail to see any advantage to a 12' ridgeline, just more weight. I'm not sure what magical properties a 12' ridgeline holds for you, but it better be a pretty important point.

An 11 ft. Winter Palace is 8.6 ounces - I've been using mine with a Dutch hammock for three or four years and have never gotten wet. I just don't see how an extra foot of ridgeline helps, other than increasing the minimum distance between trees you'll require.
    not an issue if using doors but a longer tarp ridgeline lets you suspend your tarp higher. I've got a UGQ Silpoly Hanger 12' tarp. it's only 1.5oz heavier than the 11' but it lets me stand almost upright and still gives excellent rain coverage to an 11' hammock...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    not an issue if using doors but a longer tarp ridgeline lets you suspend your tarp higher. I've got a UGQ Silpoly Hanger 12' tarp. it's only 1.5oz heavier than the 11' but it lets me stand almost upright and still gives excellent rain coverage to an 11' hammock...
    That's a good point. Last weekend I set my 11' Mamajamba up higher than usual. I knew it wasn't going to rain but I put it up just in case there was a good frost. When I stood back and looked at it, I realized it would be great if it was just a little bigger, turning it into more of a "roof" than a tarp. Not as good for blocking wind, though. And I don't ever plan on setting my hammock up between trees spaced 12'. 14' is pretty much my minimum for comfort in the hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That's a good point. Last weekend I set my 11' Mamajamba up higher than usual. I knew it wasn't going to rain but I put it up just in case there was a good frost. When I stood back and looked at it, I realized it would be great if it was just a little bigger, turning it into more of a "roof" than a tarp. Not as good for blocking wind, though. And I don't ever plan on setting my hammock up between trees spaced 12'. 14' is pretty much my minimum for comfort in the hammock.
    yeah, I didn't mean it's a substitute for doors in blowing rain and snow but when the weather allows, which for me is 90+ % of the time.

even on my AT hike when I got caught in a pretty strong gale blowing right down the ridgeline from head to toe, I did pretty well by putting the end of my hammock through the head hole of my poncho and pulling the neck cord tight. draped across my hammock ridgeline, it made kind of reverse windsock and kept the wind and rain off me.

where I like a bigger tarp to suspend up higher above the hammock is when I am settled into a campsite for awhile and have the tarp in "porch mode" at least some of the time. this makes a versatile day shelter, even if it's raining...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    yeah, I didn't mean it's a substitute for doors in blowing rain and snow but when the weather allows, which for me is 90+ % of the time.

even on my AT hike when I got caught in a pretty strong gale blowing right down the ridgeline from head to toe, I did pretty well by putting the end of my hammock through the head hole of my poncho and pulling the neck cord tight. draped across my hammock ridgeline, it made kind of reverse windsock and kept the wind and rain off me.

where I like a bigger tarp to suspend up higher above the hammock is when I am settled into a campsite for awhile and have the tarp in "porch mode" at least some of the time. this makes a versatile day shelter, even if it's raining...
    I love porch mode. I do that 95% of the time even in the winter. Good air flow, less condensation, good view!

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I love porch mode. I do that 95% of the time even in the winter. Good air flow, less condensation, good view!
    and it keeps me from tripping over my darn guy lines...

Hammock
    Clark TX-250, WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Vertex, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Doors are a smart choice unless you are in that class of ultra light camper that dries tooth paste into one time use dots to save weight. I'd still be careful though. Spend enough time in the woods or any trail for that matter and you'll need it. Some just go with huge tarps....I like my Superfly...haven't unused the doors yet....but I know they are there and I don't mind the extra pack weight or space. Its negligible.
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln.

Hammock
    Pares
    Tarp
    Nubé
    Suspension
    EZSlings
    There's another option if you'd rather not go with a 12' tarp...

Here's what I've been using https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ammock-shelter
    The StratosFly has an asymmetric design and supports a 12' hammock with enclosed ends and has a min tree span set up distance of 115 inches.

IMG_7420 small.jpg

Good job on the photo 👏

Fred

Hammock
    Dutchware Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG hex tarp
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Am I the only one who doesn't like tarp doors?

I had a HG cuben fiber tarp with doors and I found it to be kind of annoying to deploy and stow the doors. Eventually I just left them rolled up all of the time, just like I always leave the sunroof of my car closed.

The few times I did use the doors, I never found them to make any difference in temperature or make me any warmer. I don't think that's really their purpose, either. That's what my underquilt is for.

I recently downgraded to a HG hex tarp and have camped through many storms and even rain+40mph winds last weekend and was fine. I'm much happier with this tarp than I was with the other one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast