Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Shopping for a new tarp - do I NEED doors?

I currently have a Kelty Noah 12 but I'm looking for something lighter. I'm pretty much deciding on either the WB Superfly or the HG Cuben Fiber. I'm just not sure I want (or need?) doors if I go for the cuben fiber tarp. I figure if I need doors I'll just take the Kelty. Does this make sense? I just spent a week on the Superior Hiking Trail where it rained for 3 days straight. I only folded the "doors" in on one night. Otherwise, I had plenty of coverage to keep my dry.

Since using the Kelty Noah 12 footer quite a bit, I'm a fan of having that extra length covering the hammock. Unfortunately, it appears the Superfly is only an 11' ridgeline. I could at least custom order the HG cuben fiber tarp with a 12' ridgeline.

Are there any similar tarps to the Superfly at 12'? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the cuben fiber tarp?

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you hang in wet cold weather then I would recommend doors. Also check out http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ Winter Haven if you need a tarp fast and great quality.
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/213

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    +1 for SLD. Just give Jared your credit card number. Anything you order from him for a tarp will be wonderful.

I hadn't seen that particular tarp during my research. Thanks. However, I don't think I would be losing that much weight from my current tarp. It also seems quite similar.

I've been hanging for just a couple years and I still haven't figured out if I want one tarp to rule them all or if I want a small quiver of tarps from which I'll pull for certain situations.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brady1 View Post
    I hadn't seen that particular tarp during my research. Thanks. However, I don't think I would be losing that much weight from my current tarp. It also seems quite similar.

I've been hanging for just a couple years and I still haven't figured out if I want one tarp to rule them all or if I want a small quiver of tarps from which I'll pull for certain situations.
    The SLD tarp is a lot lighter than the Kelty. Is that what you were comparing the SLD to?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    The SLD tarp is a lot lighter than the Kelty. Is that what you were comparing the SLD to?
    I concur and ask the same question regarding comparison, since I have the SLD winter haven 12 and a Kelty 12. The SLD is also a different shape than the Kelty.

Yes, that's what I was comparing it to. My apologies if it's much lighter than it seemed at first. Do you guys have any experience with this tarp? How much does it weigh? Or should I just give SLD a call?

First of all, here's a link to the SLD thread that combined all of the others. I have been very satisfied with my SLD winter haven tarp (among other things I have from Jared) . Mine weighs 21 ounces, with guyline's but no ridgeline or stakes. He's fast too!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=129307

Added this photo of my winter haven compared to the same size trail haven, also from simply lightdesigns.

Last edited by michigandave; 10-08-2016 at 12:48.

Wow... That's an impressive amount of links. It seems I have some more homework to do. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brady1 View Post
    Since using the Kelty Noah 12 footer quite a bit, I'm a fan of having that extra length covering the hammock. Unfortunately, it appears the Superfly is only an 11' ridgeline. I could at least custom order the HG cuben fiber tarp with a 12' ridgeline.

Are there any similar tarps to the Superfly at 12'? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the cuben fiber tarp?

Thoughts?
    I don't personally think an additional foot of ridgeline length is necessary if you have doors. If I didn't own an 11 ft. long HG Winter Palace, I'd get a Superfly.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast