Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Looking to Buy.Thats why I'm here

If You Had $800 bucks.

Budget is $800 or less ..
    Watch a jillion videos..Looks Like a Warbonnet for the Hammock, so I need Under, Top, and Tarp..any suggestions.
    30 degrees is my guess..Thx Guys/Gals,

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Warbonnet Superfly, Hammock Gear Burrow/Incubator 20's (or Phoenix) for some breathing room. With a BB or XLC figured in you'd be close to around your budget.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    Knowing what I now know, I would make some of my gear and use the 'savings' (money not yet spent) on items that are better purchased given my abilities. I factor in my time as part of the cost of DIY, in addition to my abilities. YMMV

DIY for me: Hammock, bugnet, slings/suspension, stuff sacks
    Purchase: Tarp, quilts

This isn't to say that I would not purchase a hammock, but rather that if I am thinking about making my money go as far as possible, I would try to maximize the quality of those things I would purchase.

ETA:
    I have a sewing mach..er, thread injector so that does not factor into my cost decision
    RBTR Netless Hammock kit: $22.80 and up (depends on fabric), 1-2 hours, unless you have cats helping. Add 2-3 hours in that case. Costs more if you put a quarter into a swear jar for each curse word, again due to feline assistance. Many colors to choose from. Makes a single layer, 11 ft., gathered-end hammock.
    RBTR bottom-entry bugnet kit: $24.48 and up (depends on fabric), 1-2 hours.
    RBTR amsteel 25 ft: $5.50. Less than 1 hour to make two whoopies. Many colors to choose from.
    RBTR Gutterman thread: $1 with purchase of hammock kit.
    RBTR mil-spec 1" webbing 2x10 ft: $9 total. About 10 minutes to sew loops into one end of each for use as tree slings
    Stuff sacks: scrap from hammock can be used to make several. Or, buy a DIY kit that will make several for $10. About 10-20 minutes each.

Total: $72.78 and up, depending on fabric. Time is about 5-6 hours, even for a newb like me who hadn't used a sewing machine much in the past. That leaves about $727 (at most) for the purchase of other items. That is one sweet quilt set plus tarp, plus other bling.
    Last edited by Chemguy; 10-06-2016 at 15:16.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    If you're going WB. Here's what I would get ...

WB XLC - $195
    WB XL Wookie 20 - $250
    WB Superfly - $140
    EE Revelation 20 - $255

$840

If you can wait till black friday, you'll get all this way cheaper. Most vendors run discounts.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjacker View Post
    If you can wait till black friday, you'll get all this way cheaper. Most vendors run discounts.
    Since I don't need quilts or a tarp until next backpacking season, this is what I'm waiting on

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemguy View Post
    Knowing what I now know, I would make some of my gear and use the 'savings' (money not yet spent) on items that are better purchased given my abilities. I factor in my time as part of the cost of DIY, in addition to my abilities. YMMV

DIY for me: Hammock, bugnet, slings/suspension, stuff sacks
    Purchase: Tarp, quilts

This isn't to say that I would not purchase a hammock, but rather that if I am thinking about making my money go as far as possible, I would try to maximize the quality of those things I would purchase.
    +1

On a relatively tight budget, Chemguy is right on the money (pun intended). His DIY options are "low hanging fruit" as far as skills go, and a DIY gathered end may not have all the bells and whistles of some of the higher end models but they're comfortable and will serve you well. Toss in a Fronkey bugnet, some inexpensive straps and DIY some whoopies and you're hanging for less than $100 in most cases.

Tarps and quilts are not as easy to make and require skill and practice to get right, so use your budgetary discretion to make wise purchases in those areas.

Hammock
    Looking to Buy.Thats why I'm here
    I'm thinking on the Blackbird 1.7..I have a Nemo Cosmo 25 L insulated pad and a Nemo Strato loft sleeping bag, They work together,would that work as a good under quilt and buy just a top quilt?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Panama City? I might save the dollars and opt for a 40* quilt set. I have been very happy with my HammockGear Incubators and Burrows though they are the only quilts I have ever tried.

I have tried a few tarps, Warbonnet SuperFly is hands down my favorite. Prefer it over the HG Cuben Fiber stnd.

I have 2 Warbonnet Blackbirds (previous design). I prefer my Wilderness logics Lite Owl however, I can get buy without bug protection for more months of the year than I need it. At 5'10'ish the standard Blackbird suits me fine. Were I any taller, I'd certainly lean toward the XLC.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    By Black Friday I will have tested my wooki in colder temps but it is promising so far - if all reviews by that time remain positive I think that would be the best UQ (assuming it covers temps you plan to use it well)

I love the Hudson River top quilt as it can double as an underquilt for added flexibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    If I was going with the Warbonnet Blackbird I would also get the Wooki underquilt since that is supposed to be dialed in together. I also love my superfly tarp. You can always use a sleeping bag you may already have instead of a topquilt for now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast