warbonnet with winter top cover question

Im thinking of buying the warbonnet XLC with the winter top cover. Will that eliminate the need for a tarp, can I use it in bad weather (Rain)?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    No.. You will still need a tarp. The overcover is for holding some temp inside for cold weather. It is breathable and not waterproof.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    As mentioned, it does not replace a tarp. It is good for retaining a bit of warmth inside the hammock during cold/windy conditions. I use mine anytime it is going to be freezing or below, or it is supposed to be windy and relatively cold. Works great.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    My .02... Warmth is relative to each individual so YMMV/HYOH. I almost NEVER use mine. Only when its <15° or so. There are lots of ways to get/stay warm that don't kill your view and cause condensation. I was excited about it when I got my XLC but I found that it just doesn't get used. I am considering getting a second XLC and I wont be getting a top cover. Just something to consider.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    My .02... Warmth is relative to each individual so YMMV/HYOH. I almost NEVER use mine. Only when its <15° or so. There are lots of ways to get/stay warm that don't kill your view and cause condensation. I was excited about it when I got my XLC but I found that it just doesn't get used. I am considering getting a second XLC and I wont be getting a top cover. Just something to consider.
    Interesting. That is about where I decide to not use my hammock covers or I open them 50-100% because nothing breaths well enough to stop your breath from condensing on everything that is near you, underside of tarp included. Any winter Shug video with no cover and his breath bib will show us that.

I use a covered hammock almost all the time these days but it is not so much for the added warmth.
    The cover like an intigrated bug net helps keep things in the hammock. Gloves, extra socks, stocking caps, top quilts, etc.
    Nothing worse than your 60 dollar down hat comes off your head while sleeping falls on the ground and blows away.

The cover also does a great job of blocking the wind in any season you hang and keeping crap from blowing in, leaves sticks and don't forget it blocks the sun so you can sleep in in the morning if you choose
    provided you did not camp with tenters who always seem to get up before the sun comes up, I have no idea why, haha

Anyway that's my 2 cents. I love hammock top covers.

16490750063_bb9851430a_o.jpg16119875091_da2bacd76c_o.jpg

One can always pull the TC back if you enjoy star gazing.
    16121782545_1d3696bf29_o.jpg

And when I need a little more protection I will unzip/remove the winter cover and go with the full WB sock.

24112945361_49c3685e79_o.jpg

hth,
    click images for larger picts.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I just wish the top cover had a vent. This is the reason I think I need to learn to sew.

• + New Posts