Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie

Leaving camp set up?

Getting ready to do a bit of backpacking and peak climbing in Adirondacks . I've hammock camped out of a car, and out of a canoe. This is the first backpacking scenario with hammock and I am looking forward to it.

When I tent camped we would backpack in, set up camp and during the day leave camp set up. Secure food and scented items outside camp but otherwise leave tent set up, pads out, bags unrolled, etc. The tent would keep everything dry. Day hiking could mean you are away from camp for 10 hours or so.

I do not think I see a reason to change this practice with hammocks. Leave tarp up, hammock, bug sock and under quilt up. Secure loose items in backpack and hang from tree with rain cover on or stash under hammock under tarp.

I feel the sleeping bag inside hammock under tarp is a bit more open though, exposed. Is the more common practice to bag these items up and do set up again on return? More worried about weather than security - I think.

And if hurricane Matt stays away, the chance of precip is 20%. So some but not expecting an all day soaker.

Thanks
    Last edited by stryder; 10-05-2016 at 09:37.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I wouldn't be too concerned about weather, as long as you've got things set up correctly and aren't leaving gear out and about. If your hammock is set up so that you aren't worried you'll get wet while you sleep if it rains, then nothing should have problems in that regard if you're not in the hammock and it rains. Just make sure that your gear is tucked well under your tarp, or if you trust your pack's rain cover, go that route (or hang it at the head end of your hammock from the suspension).

I'm personally more concerned with potential security then weather. I've got a lot of money invested in equipment (as many of us do), and I'm not 100% comfortable with leaving it all set up and on display if no one is going to be in camp for an extended period of time. That's not to say that I haven't gone to a group hang, and headed out for a day hike leaving my gear all set up and un-tended ... however there were always enough people in camp that if someone were to come and unhook my hammock and try to walk off, I'm confident someone present would question it. I suppose it's just a mindset - but even in the backcountry I'm not sure how I'd feel about leaving hundreds of dollars worth of gear without anyone to keep an eye on it, while I went off for the day.

YMMV.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    YMMV.
    Thank you. I should mention there are two hammocks and our tarp is a Noah 12, so pretty good coverage.

Good point about security - A pack with a cover over it is less likely to spot than having everything set up (tarp is bright green). Kind of looking forward to that helping ME find camp. This is back country camping - I have to select a land mark on the trail and then be 150' off it if camping in a non-established site. And in an establish site if I pack everything up it makes things that much easier to walk away with.

Maybe compromise and leave tarp up and stash all else.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I always take down my hammock and tarp. Perhaps I am overly protective but, having heard tales of theft, I keep my hammock gear close. I also want to minimize the opportunity for someone with misguided authority to tell me hanging my hammock is not allowed.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DH Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter dream
    Insulation
    850 down+body fat
    Suspension
    Woopeeeee
    Images
    Been camping for 40 years and I've never had any issues with my gear walking away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
    * Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It would have to be a VERY long dayhike for me to take everything down. Actually, I wouldn't even bother to day hike at that point. Just set up in a new spot!

Usually after I set up it's late enough that I'm just wandering away for maybe 1 hour, within a mile or less. Everything stays up but I take valuables (car key, phone, wallet).

I'm always well off the trail so I feel rather safe.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    If you are in non-established, low traffic campsites, I think you would be fine. This is assuming that, as mentioned before, your set up to stay dry and out of the wind while you sleep. you could maybe toss your quilts in stuff sacks and drop them in your hammock, so they aren't as exposed.

I have a couple thoughts regarding the security theft issue. First, is I have never had any issues, nor do I know anyone who has experienced theft in the backcountry. This my limited experience only, but this includes leaving backpacking set ups for multiple days while rock climbing, leaving ski gear outside of back country huts, etc. Most people who are in the same area as you are doing the same types of things as you and have their own gear, and not many people are keen on taking the time to pack up someone else gear and add it to their own load. Again, solely based on my personal experience. Second, is that your hammock set up is probably less likely to be stolen than a conventional/tent set up would be. People know about tents, they are familiar, people know how they are put together, how to use one etc. A hammock set up is something a little more uncommon, with good number of distinct pieces that all work together and require some decent knowledge to use properly. Most thieves are looking for a quick and easy, not complex and unfamiliar.

Enjoy the trip!

Potential theft wise - You should have no issues leaving your gear set up, especially if you are off trail in a non-established site. I have never had an issue in the Adirondacks with someone disturbing my gear.
    Weatherwise - I would have similar concerns, especially wind. My advice is to watch your forecast and know it going into it. Personally, if it was windy etc. I would drop and carry the hammock and quilts, and leave my suspension and tarp. It would make for a quick set up upon return to camp, and your gear would be safe and potentially dry

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I wouldn't even bother to day hike at that point. Just set up in a new spot!
    Yes, wise move. In this scenario the 'day hike' involves several peaks, about 5000' of ascent. Preferably done with a lighter load.

I like the idea of loading stuff into the hammock. Less loose gear about. And security is not my primary concern. I have done this a few times leaving tent camps set up. You don't leave your $piffy highly portable stove out in the open, but otherwise so far so good.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm not a big fan of leaving hundreds of dollars of gear alone.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast