ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

Hanging With a Dog

Those of you who hike with smaller (less than 25lbs) dogs, what do you do about sleeping arrangements for your furry friend -- particularly in cold weather? I have an ENO Singlenest, if that makes a difference.

My brother and I are preparing to hike the Alabama portion of the Pinhoti Trail in February. We will likely have temperatures around freezing most nights. My vet has cleared my dog to go, and has given me some tips for keeping her healthy and happy for the hike, but sleeping is still got me puzzled.

Thanks!

Hanging With a Dog

I know this is heresy to most here, but when I was hiking with my 25 lb Sheltie, I brought a tent.

Firstly, he would be miserable in a hammock with me.

Second, I didn't like the idea of him sleeping under the hammock because I wasn't fond of him sleeping on the ground, and if I fell on him, there was a very real possibility that he could be injured or killed.

In the end, I sacrificed a bit of comfort so he could be more comfortable and safe - he had his own pad or blanket that he slept on. Also, snuggling with my dog was awesome, and extra warm!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by chefkeith View Post
    I know this is heresy to most here, but when I was hiking with my 25 lb Sheltie, I brought a tent.

Firstly, he would be miserable in a hammock with me.

Second, I didn't like the idea of him sleeping under the hammock because I wasn't fond of him sleeping on the ground, and if I fell on him, there was a very real possibility that he could be injured or killed.

In the end, I sacrificed a bit of comfort so he could be more comfortable and safe - he had his own pad or blanket that he slept on. Also, snuggling with my dog was awesome, and extra warm!
    Talk about "taking one for the team".... Lots of dog people here on the forums that camp/hike with their fur children. I would search the forums, lots of ideas on how to make this happen safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You could always get a pet tent to take with you.
    http://imaginelovinglife.com/best-ba...-dog-shelters/

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Practice before you go.

I take my beagle, and we have done some cold temps but not sure they were at freezing. My dog knows the hammock means warmth so she is always ready to get in.

My dog sleeps in the hammock with me, and so far I'd say we both sleep well. There are the occasional times when she stands up on my chest when she hears a coyote in the distance, but I just roll with it and figure that is part of the experience.

I share some thoughts in the first 7 min of this video...

https://youtu.be/DgvKcS_iiok

Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Talk about "taking one for the team".... Lots of dog people here on the forums that camp/hike with their fur children. I would search the forums, lots of ideas on how to make this happen safely.

For sure. My dog is going on 13, and had a disfigured leg when I adopted him, so he doesn't hike anymore. For my next dog, I'm sure I'll figure something out!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Friar View Post
    Those of you who hike with smaller (less than 25lbs) dogs, what do you do about sleeping arrangements for your furry friend -- particularly in cold weather? I have an ENO Singlenest, if that makes a difference.

My brother and I are preparing to hike the Alabama portion of the Pinhoti Trail in February. We will likely have temperatures around freezing most nights. My vet has cleared my dog to go, and has given me some tips for keeping her healthy and happy for the hike, but sleeping is still got me puzzled.

Thanks!
    I made this a few years ago and may give you some ideas. Also, what kind of dog is it?

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Practice before you go.

I take my beagle, and we have done some cold temps but not sure they were at freezing. My dog knows the hammock means warmth so she is always ready to get in.

My dog sleeps in the hammock with me, and so far I'd say we both sleep well. There are the occasional times when she stands up on my chest when she hears a coyote in the distance, but I just roll with it and figure that is part of the experience.

I share some thoughts in the first 7 min of this video...

https://youtu.be/DgvKcS_iiok
    Paul, your video was a Huge hit in my house. Lacie had us all in stitches. Appreciate you sharing this with us and I'm going to try you "dog run" solution. Thanks!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I made this a few years ago and may give you some ideas. Also, what kind of dog is it?

Fronkey
    Dude! Welcome back! I was just searching for you bugnet/dog cave solution... glad to see you back on the Forums!

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    handkerchief
    Tarp
    wax paper
    Insulation
    pocket lint
    Suspension
    dental floss
    I must have it a lot easier than most with my dog as she sleeps comfortably with me inside my hammock. It must be noted however, that she is a chihuahua - miniature pinscher mix and tops the scales at a whopping 10 pounds so she doesn't take up too much space. I also use a wide 11' hammock so there is also plenty of room for both of us to sleep side by side, but we've had a lot of practice and most of the time she is laying across my chest or lap with little to no problem. I may be a little more tolerant of her shenanigans though as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast