DIY Netless (11'2'')
    Tarp
    Winter12 silpoly
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/Biner

DIY Underquilt Questions

So I want to make an underquilt...and I know there are numerous threads on this topic, but I want my own to answer all the questions I have at once. I need an UQ that can go down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit, lighter than 3 pounds and a half pounds, and won't take up my entire tax return. That led me to Climashield APEX at the 10 oz weight. From what I've seen it doesn't compress as well as the lighter forms of the APEX compared to an equivalent UQ of down, but I've never seen photos of the two side by side. Also will a 10oz version keep me warm down to that temperature? Am I better off just getting a Warbonnet Wooki XL or a HammockGear Incubator 0? My Hammock is a DIY using 1.6oz HyperD XL fabric so the wider Wooki XL may be nice...assuming that's what the XL stands for.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    The XL in the Wookie refers to the length not the width. It fits a Blackbird XLC.

I can't help you on the climashield 10 info but I find it strange that you start out by saying you want to make your own synthetic UQ and then ask if you'd be better off purchasing a premium down UQ. You're comparing $60 to $300. Only you know if it's worth it to you, given your budget and diy skills.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I have a winter Arrowhead New River in long. I believe it's Apex 7.5, it's definitely warm, but it's also very big. It compresses quite a bit, but it's not the same as down.

If you can spend $300, then a down UQ will be great. If you want to spend under $100, then go DIY.

It comes down to what you are willing to spend.

The wooki XL is made specifically for a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, it's not a guarantee it will fit your DIY hammock.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    That synthetic quilt is going to be REALLY bulky. My DIY summer underquilt made from 1/2" climashield packs down to about the same size as my 0* down underquilt. My 40* synthetic underquilt is definitely bigger than my 0* down one, by quite a bit. I would guess the 0* climashield quilt would probably be the same size as a set of 0* under and top quilts, combined.
    If you have enough space in your pack for that much bulk, it might work for you. I'd much rather take my 0* down quilt on a winter trip, though. It's not just the quilt, but you have to carry so much other winter gear. Down jackets, fleece shirts, hats, gloves, etc.
    Also - don't rely on the charts to be reliable. My DIY underquilt was supposed to be rated to 30* or so, using 6 ounce climashield. On 40 degree nights, its cool. I wouldn't want it to be my only insulation at 30 degrees!
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    DIY Netless (11'2'')
    Tarp
    Winter12 silpoly
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    The XL in the Wookie refers to the length not the width. It fits a Blackbird XLC.

I can't help you on the climashield 10 info but I find it strange that you start out by saying you want to make your own synthetic UQ and then ask if you'd be better off purchasing a premium down UQ. You're comparing $60 to $300. Only you know if it's worth it to you, given your budget and diy skills.
    Didn't know the XL meant length not width. Good to know would still probably need XL since my Hammock is 11'. That would be an email to Brandon though. Also. That's $60 for the lightest Climashield and cheapest material. With a 1.1oz Ripstop bottom with a .66oz MEMBRANE top with the 10oz you're looking $130 then add on S&H...so twice as much for the down. And I'm wondering how the 10oz compares to down (weight, packability, effectiveness). I know it's heavier than down, people say it's way more packable than other synthetics but not as packable as down, yet I never see photos of the two side by side. I also don't know how low the 10oz will go in temperatures with just one layer. So that's why I'm comparing $130 to $300.

Hammock
    DIY Netless (11'2'')
    Tarp
    Winter12 silpoly
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    That synthetic quilt is going to be REALLY bulky. My DIY summer underquilt made from 1/2" climashield packs down to about the same size as my 0* down underquilt. My 40* synthetic underquilt is definitely bigger than my 0* down one, by quite a bit. I would guess the 0* climashield quilt would probably be the same size as a set of 0* under and top quilts, combined.
    If you have enough space in your pack for that much bulk, it might work for you. I'd much rather take my 0* down quilt on a winter trip, though. It's not just the quilt, but you have to carry so much other winter gear. Down jackets, fleece shirts, hats, gloves, etc.
    Also - don't rely on the charts to be reliable. My DIY underquilt was supposed to be rated to 30* or so, using 6 ounce climashield. On 40 degree nights, its cool. I wouldn't want it to be my only insulation at 30 degrees!
    Yep this is the info I was looking for for the most part. I barely have the space for the bulk of a synthetic 0* sleeping bag let alone two. Never seen down packed up close so wasn't sure how effective it would be or if it was really worth the money. RBTR says the 5oz is good down to 30* with the 7.5oz being good down to 10*. I'm a kinda hot sleeper so that may be true for myself and not you.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Because of my wet and unpredictable climate, I'm a dedicated synthetic quilt user. While I've had down sleeping bags and clothing items in the past, I have chosen currently to have no down hammock gear (except for one LLG pillow, which I love). My quilts made with Climashield Apex 7.5 (or even 2 layers of CS 3.6) are definitely warm, but that's the point at which they really start to get bulky to carry, making volume in your backpack a premium. While I find all my other synthetic quilts (filled with insulation weighing 2.5 to 7.5 oz/sq yd) to be functional and practical for my camping needs, I don't personally think Climashield Apex 10.0 performs well enough for how bulky and heavy it is. If I were trying to go below a comfort rating of about 20F, I'd suck it up d go with down out of pure practicality...

• + New Posts