Question Underquilt Suspension

1002161622.jpg

I am working on redoing a homemade underquilt, that is made from a recycled down army sleeping bag. My question is, what kind of suspension should I use for this? Its 10 pounds so far, and my friend who started working on it, had it rigged up with channel suspension using shock cord. Its too heavy for the shock cord.

I am taking some additional bulk off and redoing the side and end cording channels, but it will still be hefty. Suggestions on how to get this puppy suspended correctly.

Thanks!!

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    If the quilt is already 10 pounds you probably are not concerned too much about weight. Maybe try some heavier shock cord. 1/4" or larger. It should hold it and perform the same function. I would worry more about compressing the down because a lack of a differential of the top and bottom layers of the quilt.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    If the quilt is already 10 pounds you probably are not concerned too much about weight. Maybe try some heavier shock cord. 1/4" or larger. It should hold it and perform the same function. I would worry more about compressing the down because a lack of a differential of the top and bottom layers of the quilt.
    Not sure what you mean here? I had to completely redo the suspension because the quilt was sagging really bad, due to the weight. You think a heavier duty shock cord will work?

Also, there is no compression of the down. Its very fluffy. It actually kept me quite warm last night, as I tested it out. The problem I had, is the suspension was so tight, it cramped my hammock space and made it uncomfortable. So when I redo the suspension, I want to make sure the weight is supported, but not compromising comfort or hang.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge runner or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Super
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch bro
    What if you ran amsteel or lash-it/zing-it through the channels instead? With a little heavy shock cord on the ends to hold it on the hammock and give it the stretch needed?

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by GardenJen View Post
    Not sure what you mean here? I had to completely redo the suspension because the quilt was sagging really bad, due to the weight. You think a heavier duty shock cord will work?

Also, there is no compression of the down. Its very fluffy. It actually kept me quite warm last night, as I tested it out. The problem I had, is the suspension was so tight, it cramped my hammock space and made it uncomfortable. So when I redo the suspension, I want to make sure the weight is supported, but not compromising comfort or hang.
    I was assuming that you were using a standard 1/8" shock cord. The weight of the quilt was more than the shock could effectively handle and needed to be tightened enough that when you get in it was very tight. The heavier shock cord will allow you to set the position of the quilt where it should be but without over tightening the cord and compressing the quilt to the bottom of the hammock.
    Underquilts typically have a differential cut so that the insulation is not compressed when tight against the hammock. Sleeping bags do not have this feature and when put under the hammock they can become compressed and the loft of the down lost.

I made some assumptions. If they are in accurate then ignore the suggestions. Maybe some pictures of the instalation would help clarify the issues.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    I was assuming that you were using a standard 1/8" shock cord. The weight of the quilt was more than the shock could effectively handle and needed to be tightened enough that when you get in it was very tight. The heavier shock cord will allow you to set the position of the quilt where it should be but without over tightening the cord and compressing the quilt to the bottom of the hammock.
    Underquilts typically have a differential cut so that the insulation is not compressed when tight against the hammock. Sleeping bags do not have this feature and when put under the hammock they can become compressed and the loft of the down lost.

I made some assumptions. If they are in accurate then ignore the suggestions. Maybe some pictures of the instalation would help clarify the issues.

Thanks for clarification. I can't show you a picture of installation, because the underquilt is currently under reconstruction. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mahaney View Post
    What if you ran amsteel or lash-it/zing-it through the channels instead? With a little heavy shock cord on the ends to hold it on the hammock and give it the stretch needed?
    I was thinking that as well. However With my recent discovery at how quick those can saw through things, do you think it will be ok for this application? Or, should I use something with more bulk, like Amsteel?

Thoughts?

• + New Posts