11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I can drive my truck to within a few hundred feet, on my property. I can use my sled in good snow too. Mostly down hill yeee haaww. Temps above 25*F for sure. I'll stay home otherwise. There are 250 acres of state land near by that is land locked. Nobody permits access. I can canoe in from the back though. People think I'm nut's canoeing in the winter, but I manage to stay inside the canoe all summer just fine.

I love wool. I read somewhere and not sure how true it is, that polartec fleece is an industrial equivalent. How true is that?

I have always worn multiple layers. 18 years of large modern dairy farm work.

Hammock
    Just bought an ENO Doublenest set
    Tarp
    ENO
    Insulation
    Closed Cell Foam
    Suspension
    Eno Suspension
    Thanks for your input, I have done some small testings in the backyard, however I need to make a better hanging space, I have a porch post and a soft wood tree to hang from. Considering what is best for my hanging in the yard, then I do mostly use a conveyance of a kayak to my campsites.
    Any day in the Bush is better than a day at work!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL, DIY inprogress
    Tarp
    In the works
    Insulation
    Warm weather ;)
    Suspension
    stock wb webbing
    I use a matt but it is cold outside of it

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Calait View Post
    Currently I have closed cell foam, a 30* bag and a 50* bag, planning to rig the 30*bag as an underquilt as it is a multi temp bag. I plan to go next month for a hang in East central Texas, any ideas. Question 2: do the winter tarps with doors assist in keeping some heat?
    For warmth, that close cell foam pad will to the trick, as explained in the Shug post and video. You'll find an under quilt more comfortable but the pad will work.

As are as tarps and warmth go, they don't hold heat in, but if you are blocking out the airflow with your doors, it will reduce some of the wind chill effect.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    The pad works fine and dandy until you slide off of it and get cold and then wake up.That has been my personal experience.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I bought an underquilt and have a theory:
    I don't think anyone really know how much better an underquilt will work until they sleep in a hammock with an underquilt, once they have used one they will understand!

I'm sure you could use a Costco down packable throw (twenty bucks) to make an underquilt, but I'm not that much of a DIYer, so I just bought an underquilt from Hammock Gear.
    I would make the point that a good underquilt can be used for many years so the cost is not as bad as it might seem when looking at the initial purchase price. Having said that, I have bought two now, one for warmer weather (Incubator 40) and one for colder weather (Incubator 20), but I still expect to get many years out of each so I don't regard the cost as being all that bad.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    I can drive my truck to within a few hundred feet, on my property. I can use my sled in good snow too. Mostly down hill yeee haaww. Temps above 25*F for sure. I'll stay home otherwise. There are 250 acres of state land near by that is land locked. Nobody permits access. I can canoe in from the back though. People think I'm nut's canoeing in the winter, but I manage to stay inside the canoe all summer just fine.

I love wool. I read somewhere and not sure how true it is, that polartec fleece is an industrial equivalent. How true is that?

I have always worn multiple layers. 18 years of large modern dairy farm work.
    Down to about 30* Climashield 5 will do well. I have made 4 uq out of it. It is a reasonable inexpensive option. If I remember correctly 5 yards will make a nice uq and tq. So if you are planning on ordering 3 I would order the extra 2 and make both quilts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW - I would agree that Polartec Fleece is the industrial equivalent of wool in many ways. It's not as stretchy but significantly less weight in the heavier thicknesses. I am not sure about durability as in the effects of long wear or many washings but that is not usually a problem in outdoor gear. OTOH nothing eats holes in it and it is less prone to snagging.

If you put a polatec layer between your CCF pad and your body it will not compress and will mostly solve condensation problems. I use a bag with light nylon on one side and polartec on the other to hold a pad.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Just bought an ENO Doublenest set
    Tarp
    ENO
    Insulation
    Closed Cell Foam
    Suspension
    Eno Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    To answer your question about how much down insulation you may need in an UQ project:

Hammock Gear uses 8 oz of 850 fill power goose down in its 3/4 length Phoenix 20 UQ. That should give you a rough estimate of how much down you need for your project. For comparison, their full length 20 degree UQ, the Incubator 20 uses 12 oz of down in the standard length.

You may find Dream Hammock's Down Fill Calculator handy for your project. http://www.dream-hammock.com/DownFillCalculator.html
    Is there a place to do a temperature conversion? I need a setup for the lowest 20 degrees, mostly I need 40 quilts, though it does get into the 20s where I currently live in Central Texas.
    Last edited by Calait; 10-23-2016 at 18:07.
    Any day in the Bush is better than a day at work!

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Calait View Post
    Is there a place to do a temperature conversion? I need a setup for the lowest 20 degrees, mostly I need 40 quilts, though it does get into the 20s where I currently live in Central Texas.
    Yes. A calculator and the manufacturer's website is all you need.

The difference in down-filled ounce between the 20°F and 0°F. Divide that by 4. That's approximately how many ounces are needed for each 5°F.

EDIT:
    Missed that calculator... If you can't find one, you can always do the math for an approximation.

Fill in the specs from a known manufacturer and ensure the ounce matches. I believe the loft height is what gives it the warmth factor.
    Now, change only the fill power to get the ounces required. Change the dimensions as needed.

Play with the numbers from several manufacturers to make sure your math is correct. I messed with these numbers to determine which comforter fill weight (fill power was 700...) I needed for my home comforter, where a/c and heater are used.. Spending $400+ online can be tricky..
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 10-24-2016 at 17:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast