Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Here's an interesting discussion based on skimming the first two posts. Hope you didn't sleep through your math classes..

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/33188/

Hammock
    Just bought an ENO Doublenest set
    Tarp
    ENO
    Insulation
    Closed Cell Foam
    Suspension
    Eno Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    Here's an interesting discussion based on skimming the first two posts. Hope you didn't sleep through your math classes..

Did not sleep through math class, however these formulas talked me into a square corner while looking at a circle.
    Any day in the Bush is better than a day at work!

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Yes. A calculator and the manufacturer's website is all you need.

The difference in down-filled ounce between the 20°F and 0°F. Divide that by 4. That's approximately how many ounces are needed for each 5°F.
    Use this math, along with quilt's total square footage to determine decimal ounce per sqft required. (divide by 20 instead of 4; that's how many decimal ounces are needed for 1°F based on total sqft of manufacturer's quilt)

Use this math to convert the temperature.

Perform first math calculation to the converted numbers. Knowing the figures for the first math allows for +/-temperate adjustments.

If original and converted numbers provided analogous results, then you're in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calait View Post
    Did not sleep through math class, however these formulas talked me into a square corner while looking at a circle.
    Combine both calculations for your needs.

Err on the side of caution and go 5-10°F warmer, or start a thread in BPL forum for agreement on your calculation since BPL seems more detailed in that respect.

The math part sounds fun. The DIY, not so much...

I can double check your math if you want. I just lack experience in this DIY and its field test.. You should start a new thread if that's the case.
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 10-25-2016 at 03:28.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images

This $12 sleeping pad and my Kelty Cosmic 20° has taken me down to 25° and I've stayed toasty. Now, I also had a light packable down jacket on and a proper base layer, but it worked. I've been lucky with condensation I guess. I pull the whole bag over my head when it's that cold and haven't woken up wet yet.

That said, an underquilt is 100% on my list. The pad is pretty annoying, but $12 vs $100+ when just starting out and buying everything else...

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Nice! Why didn't I think of this formula? :-P

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Irregularpulse View Post
    This $12 sleeping pad and my Kelty Cosmic 20° has taken me down to 25° and I've stayed toasty. Now, I also had a light packable down jacket on and a proper base layer, but it worked. I've been lucky with condensation I guess. I pull the whole bag over my head when it's that cold and haven't woken up wet yet.

That said, an underquilt is 100% on my list. The pad is pretty annoying, but $12 vs $100+ when just starting out and buying everything else...

Great point. I picked up two yoga mats that size at 5 below. Yup,$5 each and my wife won't hang, gets real dizzy easily. Thinking a 2"x2" zig zag and duct taping the two together and maybe a fleece with elastic straps sewn to one edge. That would be good for a few nights right now down in the 30's.

I'm working on an UQ DIY with milkweed ovum. I collected about 30 lbs of ovum and it's near equivalent to down.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...JACKET-MITTENS

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234