Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Talking First down UQ, Winter Nest just arrived

I just got my JRB Winter Nest in the mail today, its filled with 800 FP activ-dry down. This being my first down UQ ( or down anything for that matter), I figured I'd ask for some tips and advise from anyone that's had this UQ, or wants to chime in with general down UQ info that might help me along. Its been raining here for a few days and looks like it won't stop until at least Monday. Its off and on though, so Im hoping I can get at least one night with it this weekend on my HH Expedition. Beings that I don't have an UQP and there is a chance of showers, what conditions should I stay away from? I do have the Typhoon fly that has kept my Snugpak UQ dry so far when I pitch it tight and with the doors on for blowing rain. I can always hang it on my inside hammock if its too wet to hang outside. So, what say you oh wise HF members? Anything anyone wants to pass along to make my first down experience most enjoyable?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I say try it out. Years ago before I had not one piece of down, I thought it was fragile, weak and just all talk. Then I tried it and now I have down quilts, boots, jackets, etc. I never get anything wet.

With that tarp you should be fine. Even if you get some drizzle on it, the fabric will hold back the water. You'd really have to get a sideways soaking to wet it out. Heck, at that point most or all of your gear would be getting wet. If you ever tried washing a down product in a bathtub, you know what I mean.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    The temps aren't going to be cold tonight but with the wind it should be in the 40's. I figure I might be a little warm with it but I'm dying to try it out as long as I can keep it dry. I guess that's my main worry since I've not had down before : learning and knowing when its too wet, or worrying that its too wet but its really not. I always hear about keeping down dry and so on, its got me worried that every drop of rain is gonna turn it into a big sloppy dripping bag of feathers lol. I know that's an extreme analogy, but you get my drift lol.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I understand. Overkill on a UQ won't be so noticeable. Even 40-50° with that quilt is fine. A top quilt would be another story, at least for me.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    OK, despite the high wind I decided to give it a shot tonight. I got my HH Typhoon fly pitched as tight as a could considering how windy it is, got the doors on and got the nest on with ease. I watched the how to video on the JRB site a few times and once I figured out what to do I got it on fairly quickly. Once it was all snugged up properly, I decided to forgo attaching the bottom slits together BC of how windy it is. I put my Snugpak TQ and pillow in and climbed in myself just now. After I got situated and layed back for the first time with it on I could almost immediately feel the warmth under me! Its about 57° right now with a stiff 18mph wind. Im only wearing UnderArmour shorts, synthetic boxers and a cotton T and I'm vary warm. I can feel the heat radiating back into me and the TQ. So far, I think I'm n love I can't wait for some cold temps and snow t really test the 5° rating!!! This thing rocks! Idk how I can ever use my Snugpak UQ again lol. I def see why down is the gold standard.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    A quick review for anyone interested : The difference beween the Winter Nest and my SNUGPAK UQ was night and day. Besides the obvious almost 30° difference in temp rating, I felt warmer on top also. I could feel my warmth radiate back up into the TQ and me as soon as I laid down. The nest was vary easy to hang and since its made pretty much for my hammock, I didn't have to worry about it being too tight under me or having gaps. It fit perfectly on my Expedition and with a 20mph wind I didn't feel one draft or cold spot. Having a down UQ now I feel like I will be more confident when it gets colder compared to stacking my 2 synthetic quilts. Even tho it only got down to about 50° last night I was much warmer all over than if I had my Snugpak UQ. Can't wait to try it out when the temps really drop.

• + New Posts