Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question UQ protector

Today I'm receiving my JRB Winter Nest with 800fp Activ-Dry down, and I'm debating on whether or not I should get the UQP as well. I'll be using the Nest mainly on my HH Expedition w/ Typhoon fly but will also use it on my Equip double sometimes. When Ive hung at home and it has rained, the Typhoon has kept my Snugpak UQ dry so far. I do get a lot of blowing rain though. So, is the UQP nessesary with a down UQ or just for added protection at times when its going to be really wet? If I do get one, will it marry itself to my bottom entry like the Nest, or do I just push it aside and get in like I do with my Snugpak UQ? I like the embossed argon 90 in dark olive if I do get one I think. Sorry so many questions, this is my first down quilt , I wanna make sure its gonna last and I take proper care of it. Thanks, any tips or advise is greatly appreciated.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    I'd say with the typhoon you don't really need one. Ymmv
    In the shadows

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    The UQP also blocks some breeze even with a tarp hung low, there always seems to be a little air movement. I use my UQP just to add those few degrees of warmth.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I bought the nest used, but noticed that on the JRB site they sell a dwr treatment. It doesn't say anywhere if the quilts come already treated tho. I'm not sure how long ago the first owner bought the UQ, or if he reapplied the dwr and how long ago if so. It is activ-dri down so that should help keep dew or fog from soaking it right away right? I'm just not sure if I should reapply the dwr and get an UQP since I do get a lot of wind and moisture, in both blowing rain and heavy fog/ dew since I live on the water or just do one or the other? Its an expensive quilt and my first down piece of gear as well so
    I wanna protect it at all costs. The typhoon has done a good job keeping my synthetic quilts dry so far tho. I'm proly just being paranoid lol
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    I get that same feeling I did get a used uqp. And a dutch winter sock. I don't want to end up freezing with wet quilts! Its a weight to comfort thing I think if my tarp had doors I'd have bought neither and I probably could a got a winter palace for the extra costs but I like my setup and I'll like it more if I never get wet.
    In the shadows

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Do you need to have one? Probably not. Is it nice to have? I think so. I have one but don't always take it with me. I do tend to take it more in the cooler seasons and when expecting rain and high winds. I tend to like to hang my tarp higher and it is nice to have the UQP help cut the wind off of my UQ. I do notice a difference when using it. They do not weigh much or take up hardly any space in a pack. You will just have to decide are those few ounces worth it to carry.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I paid $300 something for my HG incubator so for the little bit of weight the UCP is I like the comfort of knowing that my underquilt is protected.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    I love my DIY UQ protector never leave home without it. Easy to make. I integrated my UQ suspension into it using lineloc 3s and mitten hooks. The UQ & UQ protector remove as one. This makes it easy to insert into the winter sock or bug net. Now I don't have to climb into them to connect my UQ suspension.
    I sewed several pocket onto it and ran a bit of shock cord in the middle to snug it up. There's channels running on all sides with cord lock for adjustability. At the very end I have about 8" of heavy shock cord attached to a Titanium Spring Clip which connects the hammock continuous loop ends.

• + New Posts