Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Never dealt with bird droppings, but I did have a misting of maple sap this summer. Luckily it wiped off easy with a damp towel. I think you could just wait to clean at home rather than pack extra water.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    No tarp poop after 4.5 years with me. Much of the time I never even use a tarp, so things could get messy if my flying friends ever target me.

I guess if I did, I think I could clean it up with "one square" given the small load size
    Last edited by OneClick; 09-30-2016 at 11:35.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG WB
    Images
    I never had it happen in the woods. Only in a campground. Was the ground covered in poop under the tree? I have one tree in the backyard that the birds all stay in and anything under it gets pooped on. I would never hang there. I assume this was not backpacking based on what you said. If I was in the woods and had it happen I would use whatever leaves and dew I found to get most of it off then some tp to finish it up.

Images
    Garden hose, backyard, during gear cleanup time post hike.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp/Door
    Insulation
    Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    KevlarBecketHitch
    Great question! Never thought about it since it ha never occurred to me. But I can imagine that this can be quite a nuisance. Can a tarp help with such a situation???

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Never had it happen but I carry a small towel in my pack all the time (about 1.5'x2.5') and I'm sure getting it damp and wiping it off would work fine. Haven't dealt with bird droppings but I have dealt with sap, etc.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB/WBSF
    Insulation
    LYNX/WOOKIE
    Suspension
    Dutch strap/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    So true. This reminds me of when I was on Whiteblaze looking for a solo tent and a few keys folks would ask me, "why do you want to sleep on the ground?" !!

But sounds like his camping in limited, and I know even in very forested N.Ga, these campgrounds tend to be cleared of trees, or the trees are unhealthy, or too large (widowmakers), or are simply strict about adherance to camping on tent pads.
    That's what a good turtledog stand is for.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    as for free camping in Texas...yeah I know..it sucks, but you do have a few options for free, dispersed camping along the Lone Star Trail in Sam Houston National Forest.
    Thanks. While I can save $15+, Sam Houston is nearly 3 hours away from me, so I'd only go once or twice a year. Time is expensive nowadays..

Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Why do you want to sleep in a tent in the summer time?
    No trees above me => no bird droppings.
    Electric campsites => fans.
    No trees at some campsites => tent required.

I've lived in New England for a few years and have camped in the Rockies once. So, saying that I envy campsites north of Texas would be an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Normally here in Florida there is enough dew on the tarp in the AM that a handful of Spanish Moss or Grass will just wipe the droppings off. Part of sharing the woods with the animals.
    Sleeping in is normal for me. As a matter of fact, I stayed up with friends until 5am and slept in until 11am on my last trip. There's also no moss and very little grass in Central Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    If you have a RR, ... I presume its double layer?

I'm not getting the bust part as it relates to your new hobby and the cleaning of gear at your apt and/or taking along extra water for cleaning in the field.

Happens nearly every time out that some bird takes target practice, but its nothing I've ever given a second thought to.
    Yes, my Ridgerunner is double-layer. I've just discovered issues with condensation during cold weather, so I'll need to research the temperatures at which this begins to occurr...

When the benefits become less than 60%, I begin to question whether my quest is even worthwhile.. Time is valuable to me. Though not terribly comfortable, I've spent many nights on my livingroom's carpet (plus rug), so an air pad probably won't be so bad..

Since I'm often at campsites, I suspect birds stick around for the scraps. I just happen to be underneath their favorite perches. What can I say, I am lazy with cleaning since it isn't very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    No tarp poop after 4.5 years with me.
    How lucky!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeechGirl View Post
    I never had it happen in the woods. Only in a campground. Was the ground covered in poop under the tree?
    If there were bird droppings, I couldn't tell. Once my backpacking gear purchased and my body recovers, I'll try my luck in more primative areas (don't get me started about backpacking in Texas; it's like playing ice hockey here...). Less work when I get home would be a real treat.
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 10-02-2016 at 06:37.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Tarps are waterproof, so clean up is generally a quick wipe with a damp cloth. A small amount of water is all that is needed.
    If the droppings are dried, they will usually flake off. Clean up in the field is best, while the tarp is deployed.
    $hit happens...
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Let it dry and it should fall right off. A quick flick from the underside of the tarp should eliminate any spots that don't come off. Works for me, anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast