Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

Question Dutch Options for Whoopie-less Suspension Cinch Bugs vs Dutch Buckle vs Spiders..

Looking for a Dutch solution / experience w/ alternatives to whoopie sling adjustment.

I have a Dutch Whoopie hook suspension w/ 5' tree huggers & Whoopie sling/hook that I marlin spike or larkshead to the strap. Problem is w/ the whoopie it's too long for a lot of the tree spacings I come across.

Looking for a quick adjust strap/hugger system that can be adjusted w/ the continuous loop of the hammock still attached directly to the bug, buckle, spider.

Comparison of benefits / adjustability of each?

Dutch Cinch Bugs -- appear from the video like they may be easily adjustable on the strap w/ the hammock still attached (w/ UQ/TQ on hammock)?
    vs
    Dutch Buckle -- appear to maybe slightly harder to adjust w/ hammock loaded and attached?

vs
    Spider?

Straps:
    Any of the above on normal poly straps vs on Poly/Dynema straps?

Your experience appreciated.

Mark

I decided to go with the cinch bug suspension over whoopie slings because it appeared faster to deploy, quicker to adjust and would be able to hang in shorts distances. I can attest that it is very easy to adjust with the hammock attached, but as for the other points I have to add that I don't have whoopie slings to compare them too, but I can't imagine I'd trade the slight weight savings for the ease of use/setup/adjustment of the cinch bugs.

Could always do without hardware and get you some 12-15 foot straps and use the becket hitch. Easily adjustable with no minimum hang distance really other then the trees width apart.

I have Whoopie hook suspension and a set of Spiders. I like both and the Spiders work in shorter spans and are much less to fiddle with. The more I use the Spiders the more I like them over the Whoopie hooks.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you want simple you cannot beat the strap and buckle.

FWIW made a couple of whoopies a few years back. No problem making them, no problem using them, no idea why anyone would want to deal with the fiddle factor when straps are so much easier. If I was totally weight obsessed I would use rope and the knot Hennessy teaches. I am not amused when I have to un jam a knot and that one works.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    Could always do without hardware and get you some 12-15 foot straps and use the becket hitch. Easily adjustable with no minimum hang distance really other then the trees width apart.
    +1 can't get any simpler than this☺

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Cinch bugs ftw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    There's also the Strap Anchors from Butt In A Sling. I use those with Kevlar straps -- no problems at all, very easy to adjust while attached to the hammock. (Most of my tree options are too close for whoopies... in fact I recently got some shorter Kevlar straps, as the 12' ones I started with dangle on the ground fairly often.)

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    For clarification, Weighted = After the suspension has been pulled taught by a body in the hammock and since removed as opposed to just the hammock/insulation weight.

Pretty much across the board I consider that one must first unweight the hammock from the straps when readjusting buckles.

• Current outdoor favorite: Ti-cinch buckles on 12' dyneema/poly w/adutchable. Fairly easy to adjust after having been weighted. I larks head cl's with spliced on double whoopie hook's.
    • Cinch bugs. Received a pair just this week and used for the past couple of nights indoor only. Super easy to adjust while setting up and equally easy to readjust after having been weighted. This may have just become our go-to buckle. Will have to try on dyneema/poly next. Unlike the ti-cinch buckle, the cinch bug does not rely on a whoopie hook/cl to be a true easy/quick disconnect. Yes I know you can just pull the straps out, I choose not to.
    • Spiders: Meh. In a nutshell, I find the minuscule weight savings to pale in comparison to the hassle factor in using these. Weighted, either the whoopie or cl squishes the strap and makes this thing a bear to readjust. It's just the nature of the beast. For hanging single where one may choose to be less fussy, these may be ok, but I still don't like them. Dealing with two of these side by side in the dark is simply more frustration then I'm willing to accept. In all fairness, I've tried these with both Dutch's early and newest poly straps, but not yet the dyneema/poly.
    • I've never used Dutch Buckles so can't comment.

My wife and I hang indoors full time. While our outdoor experience is limited, we have used cinch bugs on poly, spiders on poly, ti-cinch buckles on poly and dyneema/poly, whoopie (hook) slings and loopie slings, 4' & 5' 3.3 kevlar huggers with Dutch clips, 12' 2.2 kevlar, poly and dyneema/poly straps w/adutchables, cogs on 7/64 and 1/8 amsteel, and finally hammock anchors on 7/64.

Outdoors, our intent has been to backpack but this year we seem to be doing mostly backyard and car camping (group hangs). We hang double under one tarp using a spreader bar, and this changes priorities/needs compared to hanging single or indoors. For me, at the head end, speed and ease of adjustment become more important than saving every last gram. I prefer to keep the spreader bar level, which may mean several adjustments after the hammocks have been weighted. I often find that one strap slips on the tree more than the other, furthering my desire to readjust. At the foot end we can use almost anything, as I find the need to fine tune much less critical.

One other thing that influences our choices is our height. Being only 5' 4" presents issues that tall folks don't have to deal with, at least not on a regular basis. The adjustability features of adutchables vs dutch clips is not needed for buckle type suspension, but since I have a bunch of them I use them. I like the versatility. Only my kevlar huggers have sewn on clips.

For the foot end outdoors my current favorite is 12' 2.2 kevlar w/adutchables, using a jbend directly to the hammock cl. Generally, once I set the jbend, I fine tune with the adutchable if needed. I double up the strap loop in the jbend which makes it less likely for the soft kevlar to pull through and also keeps the strap off the ground.

Footnote on cinch bugs:
    We got these primarily to reduce wear and tear by whoopie hooks on my wife's indoor cl's. Her hammock gets moved daily from it's hanging position. In the morning, she unhooks it from her whoopies and hooks it to mine. This process is reversed at night. The so frequent on/off of the whoopie hooks takes a toll on the cl's, eventually causing some fraying. I recently replaced her foot end after 8 months or so of this activity. While cl's are inexpensive and easy enough to replace, it looks to me like the cinch bug hooks will give the cl's a bit of an easier life. I could be mistaken. My primary concern here is not the cost of the cl's, but rather having my wife potentially hit the floor due to overlooked fraying or sheer laziness on my part to replace them at the first sign of distress. This is NOT a diss on whoopie hooks!

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Just to point out, the Dutch buckle is the only one you listed that has no stated weight limit which to me speaks to durability regardless of your personal weight. They all seem similar in ease and I'm not that fanatical on a few grams here or there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast