Hammock
    GTSBP until DIY
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter12 UL
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I had an idea about adding "Faux Baffles" to a Costco UQ in order to add a differential between the top and bottom layers, as well as create a baffle of sorts, and it seems that GadgetUK437 had the same idea, but was a little more gung-ho about it and actually created one. You can follow his progress here: Costco Differential Cut 3/4 UQ with Faux Baffles.

As far as the top quilt, ripping out all of the vertical seams from the blanket definitely causes way more loft, and makes the blanket swell up like it was stung by a bee. I'm hoping that it gets me into the 40's with appropriate clothing and maybe a fleece sleeping bag liner if needed.
    "No one saw me come or go, they only know me by where I have been." -c0de-

Eagle Scout - 2000

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by gfstanley View Post
    I have a modular UQ system that consists of 2 throws. One throw has the seams ripped and the suspension running through folded over channels on the long edges. The second throw is folded in half and snaps into the other throw to give me 3 layers underneath me. I also have a TQ that is seam ripped with a snapped footbox. I have used these, combined with proper clothes, to comfortably get me down to the low 30s a few times.
    Begging your pardon, but would there be any chance you might be able to show a picture or two of your system? I had the same idea for my setup, but I'm new enough to this that I can't quite get the right picture in my head of how it would all work. If not, no worries!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Does anyone see more down loss when seam ripping? When I sleep wearing a black tshirt or bottoms with a non-seam ripped Costco TQ I wake up looking like I slept with a sheep dog. There's tiny bits of down all over me.

I wouldn't go below 50 with them.
    no. in fact, after I ripped seams I hand washed then dried the blanket in my tumble dryer with tennis balls to reloft it and had maybe 4 or 5 plumes of down on my lint trap. I was extraordinarily impressed with the down tightness of this fabric...

Hammock
    GTSBP until DIY
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter12 UL
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I agree. The only down I encountered was from cutting out channels to relocate to another part of my TQ for an extension and footbox. Other than that, any down that attempted to escape during my seam ripping marathon, I merely grabbed through the blanket and pulled back into the channel.
    "No one saw me come or go, they only know me by where I have been." -c0de-

Eagle Scout - 2000

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyton3 View Post
    Begging your pardon, but would there be any chance you might be able to show a picture or two of your system? I had the same idea for my setup, but I'm new enough to this that I can't quite get the right picture in my head of how it would all work. If not, no worries!
    Here is the write up from my build https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ular-UQ-system

I have since cut off the red & green tabs and made channels for shock cord through the lengthwise sides to pull the UQ up around my sides and channels for shock cord through the head & foot ends to prevent drafts. I used just the single layer on a 4-day/3-night trip to Grayson Highlands this summer and it worked very well.

I have a trip planned for Nov. 4-6 and will use the triple layer UQ then.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123