Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy

UQ water proofing?

Okay, searched the forum and if its there, I apologize because I missed it.

I just finished making my "costco underquilt", I'll spare the details as it has been beaten to death on every backpacking site out there (which was immensly helpful since I needed an UQ ASAP and for cheap).

Question is, should I be adding one of those waterproofing sprays to the exterior side (the under under part) of it? Would using one of these products cause moisture buildup inside the quilt, or damage the down? Perhaps it's better to let it be as it is so it can get wet, and subsequently dry itself?

I have a Hennessy hammock (if it matters), and use the stock tarp which has kept be sufficiently dry on rainy nights.

Thanks kids!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    No, you want it to be breathable. You pass a lot of moisture in vapor form through the quilt as you sleep. Folks typically use a separate underquilt protector (UQP) as an outside water resistant layer. Given good site selection, you shouldn't have a problem with the stock tarp, but an UQP would be a worthwhile investment.

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html

Scroll down on that page for the UQPs.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB ORM/WL 15 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Second the UQP. If you don't want to buy one, they are easy enough to DIY.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Forgive my ignorance, but assuming you're using a tarp, why would a UQP ever be necessary?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardDavies View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but assuming you're using a tarp, why would a UQP ever be necessary?

Too small of a tarp, meaning your hammock hangs below the sides of it, will not block the wind that will pull the heat out of your UQ. Splashing rain can also get your UQ wet.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    As goobie said, many people don't have 4-season tarps with doors and are subject to blowing precipitation. I use a 4-season tarp with doors and don't need a UQP. My UQ has never gotten wet (though I was once in a snowstorm where the winds left a couple of inches of snow on top of my TQ).

I think it all depends on where you camp and what kind of blowing precipitation you experience. Here in the Northeast, I live two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and there's a swamp and a river behind me. The winds are brutal, shifting all the time with gusts up to 30 mph. Even a mild rain could thoroughly soak my UQ if I had a skimpy tarp and no UQP. Mountainous areas can also have unpredictable, shifting winds.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    As goobie said, many people don't have 4-season tarps with doors and are subject to blowing precipitation. I use a 4-season tarp with doors and don't need a UQP. My UQ has never gotten wet (though I was once in a snowstorm where the winds left a couple of inches of snow on top of my TQ).

I think it all depends on where you camp and what kind of blowing precipitation you experience. Here in the Northeast, I live two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and there's a swamp and a river behind me. The winds are brutal, shifting all the time with gusts up to 30 mph. Even a mild rain could thoroughly soak my UQ if I had a skimpy tarp and no UQP. Mountainous areas can also have unpredictable, shifting winds.
    Interesting. In such conditions it would seem to me that the best solution would be to just use a larger tarp to ensure adequate protection. Then your entire hammock is protected instead of just the UQ.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Double the cost and bigger TARPS wheigh more if you are concerned about weight
    In the shadows

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Interesting. In such conditions it would seem to me that the best solution would be to just use a larger tarp to ensure adequate protection. Then your entire hammock is protected instead of just the UQ.
    Yeah, I have just such a tarp. Made it from 1.6 Silpoly. 11' long by 14' wide. Using an external pole mod it sets up 7' high, 5 1/2' in the middle with 4' high walls that go all the way to the ground. With the doors closed I don't need a UQP in driving rain or a blizzard. Of course, it weighs 3 1/2 lbs. Only made it for car camping / group hangs. Would never think of carrying it on my back! There's the rub. The more coverage you want from a tarp, the more it weighs and the more it costs.

My 2QZQ UQP and my HG CF Standard Tarp with doors has kept me dry in some pretty wet conditions. The combination is light enough for these nearly 70 year old bones to carry. However, I covet the Surfr's Winter Palace. Some day!

Spray on waterproofing (aka DWR or Durable Water Repellent treatment) that is meant for outdoor fabrics will not effect the breathability of your UQ. For instance, most breathable waterproof outdoor fabrics come pre-treated with a DWR. The two most common DWR's are made by NixWax and Grangers and you won't go wrong with either.

You can also turn your Costco down into hydrophobic/waterproof down by using NixWax's wash-in "Down Proof". Several of the big sleeping bag manufacturers use NixWax down treatment in their hydrophobic down products.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast