Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 uq
    Suspension
    straps & rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You can patch it with duct or gorilla tape though........
    Shug
    My hiking buddy poked a hole in his cuben standard with doors last year in the Winds (which we repaired with duct tape). He sent it off to HG and they repaired it. Then he poked a hole on the other side this year on our trip to the Sawtooths (which we repaired again with duct tape). Actually it was the wind that caused the damage both times, not him. Fortunately, since we used duct tape last year, I made a last minute purchase at the camp store there at Redfish Lake lodge and bought a roll just in case because he forgot his other roll. Maybe if I hadn't bought the tape, we wouldn't have needed it LOL??? Those spreader bars can wreak havoc on cuben fiber in a hurry.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by ScooterB View Post
    My hiking buddy poked a hole in his cuben standard with doors last year in the Winds (which we repaired with duct tape). He sent it off to HG and they repaired it. Then he poked a hole on the other side this year on our trip to the Sawtooths (which we repaired again with duct tape). Actually it was the wind that caused the damage both times, not him. Fortunately, since we used duct tape last year, I made a last minute purchase at the camp store there at Redfish Lake lodge and bought a roll just in case because he forgot his other roll. Maybe if I hadn't bought the tape, we wouldn't have needed it LOL??? Those spreader bars can wreak havoc on cuben fiber in a hurry.
    Only if you don't take precautions to avoid it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Those spreader bars can wreak havoc on cuben fiber in a hurry.
    I've definitely heard that. Need to put something soft on the ends of the spreader bars so it doesn't happen.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Netty Hammeck
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 uq
    Suspension
    straps & rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've definitely heard that. Need to put something soft on the ends of the spreader bars so it doesn't happen.
    Agreed... another use for the duct tape this trip. Anybody got any good suggestions for covering the points to protect the tarp that work really well?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Just wondering......what are the hassles involved with a Cuben tarp?
    Just keep scrolling through this thread. Hassles are having to be much more aware of the delicate nature (spreader bars can wreak havoc), needing to keep duct tape for potential holes, and as previously mentioned, but still very true, they are much louder in the rain and do let a lot of morning sun in, especially in Fall/Winter when leaf cover is gone (if you sleep light, this can be a huge one). The only real advantage is weight savings, I can't think of any other, except maybe a tauter pitch, but I just put shock cord loops with dutch flyz on my silnylon tarps to help with tautness. I understand the draw to cuben, I had a couple myself. I am a recovering gram counter these days, I started seriously looking at all the weight savings I had done and realized it was just negligible for me. I added back in everything I wanted, and quit trying to shave a gram or ounce here or there, and my base weight went from 10.5# to about 14#, that's adding in the extra weight of a cloudburst, buckle straps instead of whoopies, stock spreader bars instead of hiking poles, and switching from a GG Mariposa to a custom McHale pack, and more. It is just what works better for me, it had nothing to do with the $$, I put that into the custom pack and it carries more comfortably with more weight than the UL packs do with less. As always, hike your own hike...happy hanging.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia Kaha View Post
    ...I am a recovering gram counter these days, I started seriously looking at all the weight savings I had done and realized it was just negligible for me. I added back in everything I wanted, and quit trying to shave a gram or ounce here or there, and my base weight went from 10.5# to about 14#, that's adding in the extra weight of a cloudburst, buckle straps instead of whoopies, stock spreader bars instead of hiking poles, and switching from a GG Mariposa to a custom McHale pack, and more. It is just what works better for me, it had nothing to do with the $$, I put that into the custom pack and it carries more comfortably with more weight than the UL packs do with less. As always, hike your own hike...happy hanging.
    Thanks for posting this. I'm new to hammock camping, but a gear addict of sorts, and I keep fighting off the feelings of "did I buy the right X or should I have bought Y?" The more I get out there and learn, the more I'll know what's right for me.

For example, I'm learning that I'm not the type who will try to go truly UL. I like my little camp chair (25 ounces). So I'll go UL where I can, to make room and weight for my camp chair. I've revised my cookset down, for example. I wasn't using everything in it. That'll save weight/space by not bringing things that are unnecessary for me--saved 9 ounces, whoop-de-do, right?

But I think more importantly for me, I'm also learning to love the simplicity and ease of carefully thought-out gear, which will make this a good experience--in my way. My way: Stroll through the woods, set up camp easily, ENJOY!!! Others may like things that I don't bring, or find them necessary for them, and that's great! Or they may choose to carry a heavier or lighter whatever because that's their jam. And I'll learn from them and perhaps change what I have/carry. Anyhow, this is what makes this site useful--all the different experiences that people share. Thank you!!

PS: After all that, I just sprung for a cuben tarp with doors from Hammock Gear. LOL. Needed something with doors, so after comparing the costs of Grizz Beaks to add to my hex tarp, or other non-cuben tarps with doors, I figured here's a way to add a good tool to my toolbox--lighter tarp for when I carry more cold-weather gear. And, frankly, I just liked the look of the dang thing (camo). I now have all the tarps I need--a warm weather one and a cold weather one. I will repeat that to myself often!

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    The other positive about CF is it absolutely and completely waterproof and doesn't stretch when it rains, like silnylon. Stretch may be less of an issue with tarps than tents (confined space) but I love the waterproof aspect

Just wondering...how did the wind poke a hole in your buddys cuben tarp?

Also, you can buy cuben tape to make the repairs yourself. Lighter than carrying duct tape and the repair is permanent, without having to send it in.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for all the great info guys!! You've given me a lot to think about!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DH/DIY
    Insulation
    WB wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopie
    You can use cable shrink tube over the ends and poke hole only on the inside. Then the tip on the spreader bar is not that sharp or can catch anything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast