Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

Question Options - shorter suspension - Strap / Whoopie Sling was too long

I've got a Dutch Whoopie Hook Suspension w/ 5ft huggers I ran into a situation where all the available trees were plenty wide for the hammock and Noah 12 tarp, but the Whoopie Hook suspension was too long to get the right hang angle and only after fiddling around to get everything as short as possible did I even remotely get the fixed SRL free slack snugged up a bit. It was still loose. My Marlin Spike of the hugger to attache the loop of the whoopie at the tree was right against the tree to the point that I tied it and had to fight to get the strap into the dutch clip to get the spike essentially butted up against the tree and clip. The whoopie was just too long for the tree spacing.
    - Recommendations?
    - Dutch Cinch bugs vs Dutch Buckle ? vs ? -- The whoopie slings are great, quick to adjust, but just too long, these, whichever is quicker/easier to adjust might fit the bill?

What do you recommend to carry when there's plenty of tree spacing for the tarp and hammock, but the whoopie section is just too long? I'd like something that's quick to adjust, like a whoopie, but need something shorter and still quick adjusting.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev / HG Inc
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps

Options - shorter suspension - Strap / Whoopie Sling was too long

Have not tried this myself, but if you have continuous loops on your hammock maybe try to attach them directly to your MSH on one side and not use the whoopie at all. You will still have a whoopie on the other side for adjustment.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    I use Dutch's cinch bugs with either a 12 foot or 15 foot strap (I forget which). These hook right to the continuous loops on my hammock. With this setup I can hang an 11' hammock with trees just a little wider than that, and all the way out to over 40' apart - although you have to get the straps a lot higher for that.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by Other Guy View Post
    Have not tried this myself, but if you have continuous loops on hammock maybe try to attach them directly to your MSH on one side and not use the whoopie at all.
    Not a bad idea, but to keep the hammock centered, the whoopies I have, even on one end would be too long to have the hammock hang right AND be centered. I'd like something that can be adjusted faster on each end w/ o dropping the hammock than the marlin spike. Your recommendation would work in a pinch when your stuck in the woods w/ no other options.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Arrowhead Equipment cinch buckle kit. While I do have one hammock that still has whoopies on it, all of my other ones I have switched to AE cinch buckles. Super easy to use, adds very minimal length (great for short spans), never had them slip even with no half hitch backup, and not too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never seen a marlin spike hitch on a Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension, and I'm not sure what it accomplishes.

I use the second method: whoopie hook connects to continuous loop with no Dutch clip involved.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've never seen a marlin spike hitch on a Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension, and I'm not sure what it accomplishes.

I use the second method: whoopie hook connects to continuous loop with no Dutch clip involved.
    My Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension came with huggers not attached to the sling. I attached the hugger strap to the whoopie sling with a marlin spike and toggle and put the fixed end loop of the whoopie over the toggle. The bury portion of the whoopie is just too long for what I ran into.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Us5Camp; 09-28-2016 at 11:40.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    My Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension came with huggers not attached to the sling. I attached the hugger strap to the whoopie sling with a marlin spike and toggle and put the fixed end loop of the whoopie over the toggle.
    The last whoopie hook suspension I ordered also came with the whoopie hook suspension not attached to the tree huggers. I just larksheaded them onto the sling since that's how Dutch suggests doing it. As he shows in the video, you can double wrap the tree huggers around the tree to shorten the suspension. One time I had a really short distance between trees and had to bypass a whoopie hook entirely, placing an MSH on the tree hugger and hanging the continuous loop on that.

It's pretty rare that I ever encounter that situation - it's only happened once in the four years I've been using the whoopie hook suspension.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-28-2016 at 11:53.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    I've got a Dutch Whoopie Hook Suspension w/ 5ft huggers I ran into a situation where all the available trees were plenty wide for the hammock and Noah 12 tarp, but the Whoopie Hook suspension was too long to get the right hang angle and only after fiddling around to get everything as short as possible did I even remotely get the fixed SRL free slack snugged up a bit. It was still loose. My Marlin Spike of the hugger to attache the loop of the whoopie at the tree was right against the tree to the point that I tied it and had to fight to get the strap into the dutch clip to get the spike essentially butted up against the tree and clip. The whoopie was just too long for the tree spacing.
    - Recommendations?
    - Dutch Cinch bugs vs Dutch Buckle ? vs ? -- The whoopie slings are great, quick to adjust, but just too long, these, whichever is quicker/easier to adjust might fit the bill?

What do you recommend to carry when there's plenty of tree spacing for the tarp and hammock, but the whoopie section is just too long? I'd like something that's quick to adjust, like a whoopie, but need something shorter and still quick adjusting.
    Wondering if the Cinch Bugs may be my solution?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tl7L4PWw-0

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    We have BIG trees here in the Pacific Northwest, so I love my Dutch Cinch Bugs (on 8-foot straps) and use them in conjunction with 6-foot whoopies slings. I also carry 24" or 36" Amsteel dog bones. I can get around a tree over 3 feet in diameter -- on each end! -- and still have plenty of suspension left to span distances in excess of 20 feet at a good "hangle" -- all without excessive weight or bulk.

The dog bones are strong, light, inexpensive, and very handy; for short hang spans, one can skip the whoopies and get a surprising amount of adjustment just by doubling the dog bones back upon themselves..For example, a simple 24" dog bone can fold to add 4", 6", 8" or 12" to your suspension length. Two- to four-inch increments of adjustment is about the same precision you get using Atlas Straps.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 09-28-2016 at 12:13.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast