Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oh gosh I'd love to go hammocking....but....

There's not a single campsite within a 3-hour range that has anything open. There is a preserve nearby that could be available for backpacking in and setting up a site, but even that is 2 hours away. Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do to get around it? Book a camp 4-months in advance?

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    Move out of Texas an option? ������

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Most every place I camp at is at least a 2 hour drive away. Add 2 to 3 hours to that if hiking is involved. That's what I'm used to dealing with if I wanna get out, and I'm totally fine with that. Unfortunately, many of those places will be closed once the snow starts coming down. In which case, there's only a handful of places to resort to at that point. The drive time will remain the same, but locations will be in lower elevations that I typically don't care to camp at.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    I'm not familiar with how the park system is set up in Texas, but in many states camping takes place at a variety of locations, including city, county, state and national parks. Federal lands also sometimes allow dispersed camping. Have you searched the "Hangouts, Campouts and Trip Planning" section of this forum to see if others may have identified locations in your area?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    While there may be closer camping and hiking, I've never driven less than 1.5 hours to get anywhere decent, and that's here in Jersey!

The great thing is that almost nobody in the Northeast camps in cold weather, so pretty soon the forests will be deserted. For that matter, very few camp in rainy weather, so if the forecast is bad, you'll probably have the woods to yourself.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Hex
    Insulation
    C Pepper, Wht Clou
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm in the DFW area and there are lakes and parks nearby that have camping. It's not the kind of camping you find in most other places but it beats staring at the t.v.another night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow, reading this makes me realize how blessed I am to live 3 miles from Wade Mountain Nature Preserve and 6 miles to Monte Sano State Park and many the many trails of the Land Trust of North Alabama. Move to these parts and you are within 2 hours of some of the best trails in the nation.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    HA! Two or three hours? I live northwest of Chicago (nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live here) and if I want to get outdoors where I'm not on top of a highway or backed up to a giant parking lot it's a good six to seven hour drive.

Sure we have campgrounds within a couple/few hours but they all have tiny sites, are very well worn and packed with people most of whom are there to get blind stinking drunk.

The ONLY way to camp around here without having to spend a day driving is to go when the weather is horrible (like below 40 and at least raining if not snowing). At least then the drunken fools aren't there.

Hoping beyond hope my company finally transfers me to corporate....Johnson City East Tennessee!!!! Can see the mountains from the office window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    walkabout fly
    Insulation
    OV 20 UQ or PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I agree that you should look at county stuff, you might be surprised what could be nearer than you know.

I am fortunate to live 2 miles from an AT trail head so I literally walk up the mountain and I'm on the trail. There are other loops around, within an hour to two hours of drive time. Some are state and others are county.

Keep looking, see if there are some local hiking clubs that might have familiarity with a number of trails.

Good luck as you search.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    I live in Southern Ca, while there are spots 1.5 hour drive if you want solid water supplies throughout a 3-4 day backpacking trip I have to drive 6+ hours to head up to the Sierras! It is all worth it once you make it there!!!

I need to find some winter trails!

The drive is the down side....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast