Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle

6oz Climashield TQ/UQ

One down one to go! I ordered 2 of the 6oz climashield underquilt kits from makeyourgear.com. One of the quilts I will use as a full length UQ and the other as a TQ.

Underquilt is done:
    20160926_215317.jpg
    20160926_215329.jpg
    20160926_215337.jpg
    Last edited by jabraso; 09-27-2016 at 19:39.

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    I'm about to do the same thing more or less. I'll be using 2 layers of 6 oz and a layer of 3.6. I wanted to go though RSBTR but they wanted almost 110$ to ship what I needed. Im going through Dutch getting nearly the same items for 32$ S&H.
    This will be for serious winter camping and really have no idea what Temps it'll get to so only one way to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyst Död View Post
    I'm about to do the same thing more or less. I'll be using 2 layers of 6 oz and a layer of 3.6. I wanted to go though RSBTR but they wanted almost 110$ to ship what I needed. Im going through Dutch getting nearly the same items for 32$ S&H.
    This will be for serious winter camping and really have no idea what Temps it'll get to so only one way to find out.
    What's your bill of materials? RSBR normally charges $11.50 flat for insulation, I can't see $110 to ship some Climashield. Dutch is usually just as reasonable on shipping if not more so, $32 would ship enough material to outfit a Boy Scout troop. If you're including materials in those estimates, something still seems off as you can't buy two layers of 6oz and a layer of 3.6oz CS in enough quantity to make one quilt for $32, much less two quilts. I'm just wondering if you're comparing apples to apples.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    Nice looking UQ. I used the same kit and really like it. I think it will make a good TQ and its on my list. I am going to use some OutDoor Ink for the top layer.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    What's your bill of materials? RSBR normally charges $11.50 flat for insulation, I can't see $110 to ship some Climashield. Dutch is usually just as reasonable on shipping if not more so, $32 would ship enough material to outfit a Boy Scout troop. If you're including materials in those estimates, something still seems off as you can't buy two layers of 6oz and a layer of 3.6oz CS in enough quantity to make one quilt for $32, much less two quilts. I'm just wondering if you're comparing apples to apples.
    I just now checked on RSBTR's website using Apex 10 as my guinea pig to get the shipping up to $110. It's 25 YARDS to get shipping that high. Something is definitely not adding up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    Nice looking UQ. I used the same kit and really like it. I think it will make a good TQ and its on my list. I am going to use some OutDoor Ink for the top layer.
    Thanks

Sorry to hijack your thread, but was hoping you could answer a few questions related to your quilt. I'm brand new to hammock camping (in the process of making my own bridge hammock) and stumbled across this quilt kit on makeyourgear.com as well. What weight Climashield would I need for a May-Sept quilt in the North East (40+)?

what would be the weight comparison for a down quilt rated for the same temps?

Your quilt looks great, which has tempted me even more to DIY this one vs. dealing with down/baffles. I've been using a synthetic sleeping bag (High Peak Latitude 20) for tent camping for the past 10 years and loved it, so I almost prefer synthetic.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by _YEM_ View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but was hoping you could answer a few questions related to your quilt. I'm brand new to hammock camping (in the process of making my own bridge hammock) and stumbled across this quilt kit on makeyourgear.com as well. What weight Climashield would I need for a May-Sept quilt in the North East (40+)? what would be the weight comparison for a down quilt rated for the same temps?
    Climashield Apex 3.6 oz is typically comfort-rated for 40 degrees F, but if you can stand the extra bulk and a few ounces, some CS 5.0 (30F) might be a more versatile single quilt with some safety margin. I've made one of each.

A CS 3.6 synthetic quilt that is 80" X 50" will have an area of about 3.7 square yards, so built with 1.1 oz shells it will weigh at least 22 ounces finished out.

Climashield has a thermal resistance rating, or CLO, of 0.82/ounces, which you can use to compare to the insulation of down quilts, which will vary greatly with fill and construction.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by _YEM_ View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but was hoping you could answer a few questions related to your quilt. I'm brand new to hammock camping (in the process of making my own bridge hammock) and stumbled across this quilt kit on makeyourgear.com as well. What weight Climashield would I need for a May-Sept quilt in the North East (40+)?

what would be the weight comparison for a down quilt rated for the same temps?

Your quilt looks great, which has tempted me even more to DIY this one vs. dealing with down/baffles. I've been using a synthetic sleeping bag (High Peak Latitude 20) for tent camping for the past 10 years and loved it, so I almost prefer synthetic.
    I don't have any experience with down quilts. I've taken this 6 oz climashield quilt down just below 30* with no issues. I was expecting colder temps into the mid 20*s so I was wearing extra base layers and was too warm until after 1am. Woke up with a good frost in the morning and a good amount of condensation from my breath on my topquilt (also 6 oz climashield) but no loss in warmth.

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    I did end up going through RSBTR. Something was screwy with my phone. I got 5 yards of climashield 10, 3 yards of calendered HyperD and 3 uncalendered. Was about 190 plus shipping. I also bought a walking foot to try and add to the arsenal of sewing accessories.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast