Tarp
    MWG Monsterfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin,Flight
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Anybody use a "Lazy Slug"?

Hello All,
    Now that the weather has started to cool. And the Blazing sun here in Ohio has cooled some. It is time to start thinking of Hammock Camping again. I was out visiting a hang over the weekend and thought of my set up and what occurred. Rain, it started 10 minutes after I pulled out of the driveway. Well I managed to get my tarp set up first then my hammock but it was a slow process. Then came one of the more experienced hangers in the group. he pulled out his tarp in a set of skins. Up it went . Then he brought out everything else in a "Lazy Slug" by Wilderness logics. And he attached it to the two trees and pulled it up on each end and bam, he was set up. It was slick to watch.

But I have a question for any of you slug users. How much do they compress down in your pack? I realize the tarp, hammock under quilt and top quilt will all take up room in the back pack. I am just wondering if the space sacrificed by bundling it all together is worth the time and effort gained by using a lazy slug?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Alaskan Hanger

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Well, I had a Lazy Slug, until it went up in flames. I liked it a lot, in most ways better than my Hennessey SnakeSkins.
    I found the Lazy Slug to be ungainly in a pack. You have everything in the Slug, the slug is large, wide and long, if i folded or rolled each item it would require less space and be neater. Where my Slug really shines is when things are wet or I need to break camp fast. I am able to bug out in record time. I found the Slugs to be difficult for me to compress.
    Problem is each user has their own ideas on what the want from their gear. Quality of the Slug is great, compression, not

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    The lazy slug is good if you need to bug out fast but you won't want to keep your gear all compressed in it all the time, maybe for moving from one site to another but not for prolong storage.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Hmm, I didn't know what a "lazy slug" was until I saw this thread. I like the idea, but because I've been trying to keep my pack weight as light as possible, I 'm not sure I'd carry one. On the other hand if you could find a way to make it dual use, for instance could it also work as an underquilt protector that would be interesting. Similar concept, I made a hammock with a zippered bugnet and sometimes I would leave the top quilt inside, zip it all up, and stow it in my pack as a single unit. Worked well, but I quit using that hammock.

Good luck, let us know if you become a Slug user and how you like it.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Its great for keeping all your stuff wrapped up while you're away from camp. In general, it makes it way easier to deploy and pack up, but the sil version traps air so that packing in your pack is a bit of a PITA, though you can learn how to get it compressed without too much work. I'd get the mesh version so you don't have to worry about that. While the sil version should be waterproof, I wouldn't leave my down out in the rain like that for water to find a way, so its always under a tarp anyway. If you're like me and throwing your quilts in the bottom of your pack to let other gear compress into them instead of packed into the hard ball of a compression sack, then you won't mind packing the LS package like that, and it will make setup and breakdown so much easier.

Well, until you get home and want to hang stuff up and have to go through and segregate it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    I usually have my hammock, TQ, and UQ all "rolled" up together into a single component, then compressed inside the bottom of my pack. I don't compact them separately. They're also deployed in the same manner.
    My tarp is in skins.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I played with my Lazy Slug in the woods today.I like it,generally speaking,because I am lazy and like to keep the underquilt and WBBB attached with the TQ inside the hammock.The LS is plenty big enough to cover it all and tighten down on everything.It does feel "inflated" when you get ready to put it back in the pack.Next time I will try loosening the end drawstrings a bit to give the air a way to get out.

Hammock
    handkerchief
    Tarp
    wax paper
    Insulation
    pocket lint
    Suspension
    dental floss
    That's an interesting piece of equipment. This is the first I've heard of it as well, but I'm intrigued. I can also see how it would be useful on a longer trip but not necessarily for prolonged storage.

Hammock
    WBXLC, Chameleon, RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, Pole Mod
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, AHE, LLCP
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    I'm trying the lazy slug when hanging on my boat. Stuff in large dry pack. I expect it to be quick take down and setup. Should be a plus keeping everything dry vs folding quilts/hammock individually.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I use a set of nylons I stole from the old lady:<) Just run a stich up the crotch and cut in half.There big enough to bundle my TQ,UQ,hammock and my Dutch winter sock then I stuff that into a small event compression sack from sea to summit. I usually use this set up when it's raining and I don't plan on using my hammock as a chair.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts