Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amramsey View Post
    I use the spindrift for my ridge runner in the deep winter. I also have the 2QZQ UQP which works ok. I picked up a couple UQP for my kids Hennesey hammocks in the last couple weeks from Little Shop of Hammocks (http://www.littleshopofhammocks.com/product/uqp/) and they are fantastic. A different design than the 2QZQ and I much prefer it. I was at a scout camp last weekend and the wind was blowing like crazy. There weren't trees around so the kids were stuck in tents... I had my Hammeck stand though just in case. I also happened to have the Little Shop of Hammocks UQP protectors with our gear. The LSOH UQP wasn't listed as being for the Ridgerunner specifically, but it actually fits perfectly. The shock cords fit across the spreader bars and the ability to tighten the UQP in the center meant that I was able to make it an exact fit.

I took a photo as I was packing up. The UQP (in camo) looks form-fitted. I'm going to be picking up another one for myself. I was extremely impressed. The design of it gives a lot more flexibility when compared to the 2QZQ.

Attachment 137599
    PM sent.
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    PM sent.
    Donna
    Thanks Donna. Just clarifying my original message : the 2QZQ UQP that I have is not the bridge hammock version that they make! It is the gathered end version, which I use my my gathered end hammocks and it works well. I have no experience with the bridge version that 2QZQ makes.

I can only imagine that it is as nicely made as the rest of the gear they make and fits the ridgerunner perfectly.

Hammock
    WB BB xlc
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JrB greylock3
    Suspension
    Webb and buckle
    2QzQ is where i got mine, and I love it. But lookout you may order more than just a "UQP".

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    A bit surprised that people need uqp.

Winter socks like dutch ware's would seem to be beneficial from 55° and down. So your uqp is for 55° to 70°?

I just assumed large tarps were the preferred solution to protecting summer strength uq.

I know not all climates are the same. But I'm just interested in knowing how often these uqp get used, which months etc?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    I am impressed with Donna's workwomanship. I know a few other vendors have UQP, however, I am prejudice toward Donna. I do have one, it is older, from Warbonnet, my UQP is built specifically for the RidgeRunner, not the poncho design that is now offered.

I use my UQP on both types of hammock, I do have one that is specific to bridge hammocks, but I use the protectors that were designed for the gathered ends on my bridge also. I am careful about using the non breathable QP, if I use it on the wrong hang I get way too much condensation, so I am selective with that UP,

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post
    ...my UQP is built specifically for the RidgeRunner, not the poncho design that is now offered.
    We are glad you are finding your UQPs to be of great service to enjoying the great outdoors! Just to clarify...we do not offer a poncho design. We have the Gathered end style UQP, and a Bridge style. The Bridge is designed to be used on a Bridge and also a Gathered end hammock.
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony c View Post

Winter socks like dutch ware's would seem to be beneficial from 55° and down. So your uqp is for 55° to 70°?

I just assumed large tarps were the preferred solution to protecting summer strength uq.

I know not all climates are the same. But I'm just interested in knowing how often these uqp get used, which months etc?

Under Quilt Protectors - do exactly that, protect. Especially in windy, rainy conditions. Unlike socks, they do not enclose you. Many folks like to go "topless" all year long. Also, some hammocks come with over covers and this combined w/ an under quilt protector provide the same effective protection as a sock. So those would be two examples of UQP uses that are not season dependent.

Last night I was out in 60º weather, misty, rainy, not much wind, didn't need an overcover or sock, didn't use my UQP and normally I would have. Ended up with condensation on my under quilt and hammock, which could have been avoided w/ by the use of the UQP. This is especially a pain as I have another trip in a couple days and it was just more gear, beyond a couple tarps, for me to fuss with, getting them dry before repacking. Same holds true when hiking. Makes packing away quilts and hammocks a bit easier because they don't get nearly as much condensation and the UQP goes in the outside pocket of the pack.

Sleeping without an overcover in those 25-35º days, weather permitting is great stuff. Very crisp. But if the ground is covered with snow or slush, again a UQP is handy and in my case, preferred because the UQP stays secured and my over cover can be zipped shut or not as I like.

The other thing is that an UQP can be used as a gear hammock if you like. Plenty of times in nasty weather, I'll just drop my pack and clothes into the UQP which then essentially becomes a gear hammock sitting on the ground on top of my piece of tyvek. Still protecting everything and keeping gear dry.

So for me I prefer the modular approach of an over cover and UQP , using the UQP often and the over cover as desired. Honestly, the overcover is used to extend my sleeping time a little bit, keeping that pesky sun at bay, a little privacy and when windy or cold, protection. But on a non windy, clear cold day, love going without that overcover but having it handy if I need it.

YMMV, HYOH
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Oh yeah, my UQP is also from 2QZQ
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    I Got my bridge UQP preowned like new here on the Forums It is a 2QZQ by Donna. Keeps the WBRR free of splash water and mud and definitely adds several degrees of warmth trapping some air and fending off some wind as well.
    It weighs next to nothing and I leave it on in the summer when using pads in the WBRR and stuff it right along with the hammock. Quick and simple to remove as well. I like it. Very useful.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony c View Post

i use my UQP when it will be windy or cold or both. I have a top cover on my hammock so the sock would be overkill....also the UQP is significantly less expensive than a sock (mine was like $35). It packs up super small and does a great job at preventing wind and splashing water from getting to your UQ

edit: I got my UQP from 2QZQ as well...freakin awesome people

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast