COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling

Hammock Camping Project

Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions for folks of the forum. I'm doing a project for school and would like to get input from the members here on HF.

First. What got you into hammock camping? (Was it cost, comfort, lightweight aspect, ...)

Second. What does being in the outdoors mean to you or what do you get from being outdoors? (Escape from a long work week, contentment, relaxation, ...)

I thank you all in advance and happy hanging!!

Chad

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Age 67, retired, lifetime of tent camping, stumbled upon Hammock Forums, learned a lot, got some gear, loved the restful sleep in a hammock compared to tenting, fantastic gang on HF, excellent products and service from cottage industry vendors, lots of fun sharing at hammock hangs, and I enjoy playing with the gear... Only downside is high quality gear is not cheap, but good gear retains it's value on resale market.

I have always been most content while outdoors. Enjoy hiking, camping, just being in the woods or on the water, plus I see very little value in crowds of people and all the background noise and bustle.
    T

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Sounds like and interesting project.

I fell into hammocks by mistake. I ordered a FiveJoy hammock off of Amazon and really liked the whole hanging experience of hanging. Can't remember exactly how I found Hammock Forums (I'm sure it was a google search), but from then on my camping bug took a serious change of direction. I have been camping since I was young, but with getting older I no longer enjoyed laying on the ground. It hurts and is just plain uncomfortable. I had gone down the road of tent and cot or folding lounge chair. While better than the ground, it was still a PITA. Enter the revelation that folks were not only camping with hammocks, but camping very comfortably and I was hooked. My DIY bug had also been fed a fresh dose of adrenaline and here i am.

To pointedly answer your question, the initial reason was comfort. The DIY aspect really does drive me with this hobby. I'm always looking for another project or reason to place an order with Dutch/RSTBR. Being outdoors is everything you mentioned. Escaping (work and family), relaxation and my contentment comes from using the gear that I have made myself. Each project holds intimate details for me. The rewards and mistakes are proudly put on display.

The unexpected finding of comradery from the members of HF as well as the relationships I have developed with members who live locally has been a blessing. Often I am the only one I know that has any interest in my passions. My wife doesn't get it, but she understands. It's nice to have a group of local hangers to physically get away with. A time to camp and check out each others gear, a time to relax and have fun with a group of like minded folks.

Hope this helps, good luck with that project.

Big E
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling
    Thanks Tumbleweed and BigE, I appreciate it.

Keep 'em coming folks!!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    What got you into hammock camping? (Was it cost, comfort, lightweight aspect, ...)
    I am more comfortable sleeping in a hammock than any inflatable pad in a tent. Also, I can be warmer in a hammock than tent for winter camping. Since I just started hammocking in April 2016, I'm still learning a ton and now making my own gear. I've taught myself to sew and next weekend will learn how to splice rope.

What does being in the outdoors mean to you or what do you get from being outdoors? (Escape from a long work week, contentment, relaxation, ...) Yes, to all those! I love to learn and try new things. So, visiting new parks and forests satisfies my adventurous spirit. I grew up in the country and live in a city. Getting back outdoors is like a return to my childhood. I also like to be independent so getting outdoors and learning how to make fire, deal with animals, poop in the woods, and cook over fire makes me feel like a rockstar! My co-worker said if the zombie apocalypse happens, he is sticking with me! (That makes me giggle with delight because I will have no problem sacrificing him to the zombies if it means I will survive)
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    .... (That makes me giggle with delight because I will have no problem sacrificing him to the zombies if it means I will survive)
    LOL!! I love this Karla!

Thanks for the great comments everyone!! Keep 'em rolling!!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Many years ago, bought a Grand Trunk Traveler hammock from REI outlet for like $18...thought it would nice to have. Brought it on a camping trip for lounging. Set it up, grabbed a book and read. It started to rain. Grabbed a Wally World blue tarp out of my gear box and rigged it up above my hammock. Went back to reading and eventually fell asleep.

When I woke up I thought about sleeping in it overnight....did some research when I got home and never went back to a tent. I even sleep in a hammock at home most nights. (Been married 20 years so it's a good excuse to sleep in my own space in the basement).

Being outdoors....it's a change of pace, requires different thinking skills for everything from cooking to entertainment to working around the elements etc. It's also an opportunity to see other parts of the world around me and a time to relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First. What got you into hammock camping? (Was it cost, comfort, lightweight aspect, ...)
    I first slept in a hammock in 1979 with the boy scouts. I don't know if it was an adult leader or a boy that put the idea out but several boys in the troop slept in hammocks during summer trips. The hammocks were all the kind that look like fish nets. We did it to stay cooler on the hot weather.

Now as an old guy I sleep in the hammock largely for comfort.

Second. What does being in the outdoors mean to you or what do you get from being outdoors? (Escape from a long work week, contentment, relaxation, ...)

I get several things. Relaxation and an escape from constant information overload. I love cell phones, the internet and 500 channels on the tv, but it is nice to turn it off sometimes.
    I think it is fun. I like to have the feeling that, I can live comfortably without all the conveniences that are found in my house.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Started camping again after I retired but quickly discovered that I was not 21 any more. My back/knees would not allow for me to sleep on the ground and due to some medical issues I have limited mobility. Got a Hennessy Hammock with a classic (bottom) opening, fell in love and been camping ever since.

I camp because it helps me keep my head on straight. I live in metro DC area with too much traffic, too many buildings, and way too many people. Time in the woods allows me to "reset" and my family likes me a lot better when I spend time outside.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I also got into hammock camping partially by accident. Last time I went camping in a tent and slept on the ground was a miserable experience, back in 2009. Sore hips, aching back, etc. Completely unrelated, my wife bought me a woven gathered end hammock for the backyard for christmas that year (which I never even got around to using, oddly enough). It came with poor instructions and really no hardware to hang it with, so I was looking online with a google search to the effect of "What knot do I use to hang my hammock". I ended up coming across Hammock Forums, and found the solution to the problem that I was only half aware I had - that I wanted to get back to camping but didn't want to sleep on the ground anymore. The fact that there are so many options, and that it's a veritable playground for those that like to tinker and are gear heads kept me interested, and pushed me along. The community I met (HF members) at my first group hang sealed the deal, even though my first hang experience was less than optimal - that just spurred me on to keep learning how to fix it.

Short answer - comfort, and I found the technical aspects fun and actually enjoyed the learning curve, as that made it seem like I somehow earned the right to sleep in comfort.

I camp/spend time in the outdoors for many of the reasons you listed - to get away, to clear my head, but largely because it's a social thing as well. In many ways I go camping for the same reason that many people go to the bar/pub weekly or monthly to watch any given sporting event - to get together with likeminded people who share the same hobby and be social, get out of the house, and decompress.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast