Hammock
    WB XLC and RR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    W. Logics and UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Great project! My answers are going to be pretty similar to others: 1. Quality of sleep. I am a long time tent camper. As I got older, I was spending more and more money on padding and insulation. Finding something that is light enough to back pack with and big enough for me (6'5" 230) was difficult and getting expensive. A friend of mine mentioned that he started using a hammock and that I should try it. I was smart enough to do my research on insulation and suspension and have came up with a set up that works for me. I have found that my sleep apnea is not as big of an issue in the hammock as it is sleeping flat on the ground, so that has been an added bonus. What does being outside mean? Peace and tranquility. I have am a biology teacher and football coach and both of those can be stressful. I get outside to be away from all of that. I have gotten into photography and that has been an added bonus.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    1) Comfort. I secretly wished my son would quit scouts so that I wouldn't have to push myself up off the ground in the morning.
    2a) Peace. In the woods I can leave my plans and worries behind and just be in the moment.
    2b) Service. I mostly camp with Scouts and, while seldom peaceful, I am proud to help them become good men by learning to care for themselves and others

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Hexon WIDE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY 6oz CS/Argon
    Suspension
    Cinch w/Dutch Clip
    As I youth I was raised in a National Forest. We spent all our time in the woods.
    We occasionally used cheap netted hammocks "pea pod style" on hikes.
    I have since taken my own kids out in the woods as much as possible. In their teens now we have been backpacking. I looked into hammocks because I figured they must be light, simple, and cheap...WRONG!
    However, before I figured out the price and learning curve ? I slept in one...game changer...camping hammocks give me a better nights sleep than my $4000.00 mattress. If my wife would not leave me over it I would sleep in it every night. I have extensive joint damage, arthritis, and severe sleep apnea. In bed I cannot sleep on my back (apnea) and cannot sleep on either side very long (joint pain) so I wake up sore and hurting.
    In my hammock I sleep on my back, without moving much at all, and wake up refreshed. Assuming I am car camping and have my battery to power my CPAP. Otherwise, I wake up less miserable than sleeping on the ground. Hoping to get approved for a "Dental Appliance" so I can enjoy backpacking more.
    I do not miss a tent, I like being out in the open so I can see and hear everything.
    I like being in the woods. I love being in the wild.
    "Never mistake motion for action."
    -Ernest Hemingway

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    I got into hammock camping when I started taking my kids car camping. I had an old military surplus hammock I would hang outside the tent to relax and read in after the kids went to sleep in the tent. I decided to try and sleep in it one night and i was hooked after that. Eventhough the hammock was small (8 ft by 4 ft maybe) it was way better than sleeping on the ground. The older I get the less I like being on a hard surface to sleep. After sleeping in my tiny hammock in fair weather for a few years I started to research hammock camping. A full sized hammock with a bug net and a tarp and I gave up on tents all together. For me the comfort is everything. The weight savings and ease of setup, and packability are a few bonuses, but I would still sleep in a hammock even if it were heavier and bulkier. In fact I try to sleep in my hammock at least once every couple of weeks.

Being outdoors is a release for me. When I go for a day hike or a camping trip I can unplug from my problems. Like when I go surfing. The only worries i have are the immediate ones. Turn, paddle, pop up, surf. In the water or in the woods I leave everything else behind. Hike, watch my footing, look for animals or interesting things. Set up camp eat relax. Listen to the sound a of nature and check out the stars. I can forget my job, bills, daughters college tuituon, etc for just a little bit. Being able to dump all that stuff for a while recharges my mental batteries and allows me to continue. I grew up in the suburbs and lived in the city as a young man, but always felt a need to get back to nature once in a while. Focussing on survival once in a while puts everything else in perspective for me.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    WBXLC, Chameleon, RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, Pole Mod
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, AHE, LLCP
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    I wanted a way to stay on my small skiff. The hammock is the answer. Hanging on the water is awesome!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cuben fiber
    Suspension
    whoppie slings/MSH
    Was hiking in the Amazon - hammock was the only option because ground was wet and too many things crawling and slithering on the ground. Ended up being so comfortable I couldn't go back to tents when I went hiking in the US.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    1) Shug

2) Peace

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    In 2010 my son and I got stuck in a crummy campsite. The tent we had was old and had poor ventilation. The tent leaked, too, so we had to put a tarp over it in the thunderstorms that poured all night. It was hot and stuffy. At sun up we got up and found that our ccf pads were the only thing that saved us from sleeping in a pool of water. We called the trip 2 days early. That was the last straw.

After years of hip pointers , sore back and shoulders, roots and rocks poking my kidneys, etc. I looked for an alternative. I stumbled onto Hammock Forums...notice my Join Date. I tried a Hennessy Backpacker UL. It was much more comfortable than a tent. As I got more experience I bought a Blackbird and never looked back. Only once have I been forced to ground. That was up north of 50* where the forest is comprised of almost 100% black spruce.

I don’t spend money on things like concerts, plays, or going out to bars. So I have the extra $$ to spend on nice gear.

I go camping because I just love fresh air. As long as I can remember I have always enjoyed sleeping outdoors and having a campfire. My Dad never was a camper or outdoorsman and he doesn’t know where I came up with my predilection. But ever since he bought me a little canvas pup tent when I was six, I have just loved camping.
    Last edited by Jcavenagh; 09-29-2016 at 15:42.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling
    Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread. I am compiling all the responses that I received into an easy to read format and getting ready to submit it along with other pieces of my multi-genre project. I will let you know what kind of grade you all helped me in getting!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123