SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    First, I've always enjoyed the outdoors as mostly a weekend warrior, but as I got older, it became more important for me to get better sleep so that it did not effect me so much coming back to the real world on Monday. I was also beginning to experience some back soreness from being on the ground. I was balking at the price of a solo tent when I decided to give hammocks a shot. For me, it was quite literally 1 night in a hammock - actually, 1 morning after - that sold me and I haven't looked back.

Secondly, I have indoor allergies, so getting "out" is an escape on multiple levels.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    What got you into hammock camping

As a Scout leader, I spent about 12 miserable years sleeping on the ground. Then, in 2010, a friend of mine invited me on a canoe trip to the Adirondacks. I agreed to go, then he said, "By the way, I bought a camping hammock." Camping hammock? What the heck is a camping hammock? I asked.

I researched, and bought an HH Exped Asym Zip. My first night in my hammock, it rained five inches and I stayed high and dry. I knew then I would never sleep on the ground again, and I haven't.

What does being in the outdoors mean to you or what do you get from being outdoors?

My first couple of years, I did mostly solo camping. It was a great way to relax. Lately, I've been doing mostly group hangs, which is also very relaxing, just getting out in the woods and forgetting about the world.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    I got into Hammock Camping after a long layoff from Backpacking. Too long. When I left backpacking the last time, I sold off all of my gear, so I needed to buy new stuff. I was looking around and learned about the hammocks. I found someone with one, laid in it for a day and was sold. No more having to worry about a rock or root underneath me at night, opening more opportunities for places to set up camp, and a built in camp chair as well!

The outdoors has always been my get-away. It's what centers me. This weekend was a prime example, I've had a couple of rough weeks. Stress levels were out of control, work has been crazy and I needed something to put me back in a good mood, get me out of my funk. I tend to like to be by myself, and most of the time backpacking and hammock camping allows me to escape, and when I do happen to run into someone in the woods, it's usually someone I have a lot in common with so the conversation is light and easy.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    My best friend and I were getting into bikepacking and hammocks were ideal for what we wanted. Once we actually slept in some we knew there was no going back to the ground.

As far as your second question it'd definitely getting away from everything and just recharging the batteries and de-stressing.

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    What got me into hammocks is this website... I saw ENO at REI and did some research which lead me here. "Why sleep where animals pee?" I will never forget so I bought $$$ of DIY equipment, which I should have spent on cottage industry gear and be done with it. A quote from Zukiguy, "I've slowly learned the hard way that buying stuff on the cheap is pretty much false economy. Getting a couple of cheap bags "on sale" to satisfy a current need burns the cash you could have spent on one piece of quality gear. Maybe you can just suffer a bit for a trip or two while you save your pennies."

Being outside means a lot to me. so much to discover and enjoy, its easy to get taken back by nature's beauty. I hope my career lets me explore more of this beautiful planet.
    Last edited by bruinfan; 09-26-2016 at 15:12. Reason: saw zukiguy post and it sums up my experience

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    What got me into hammock camping?

Spiders. I had been a tarp camper since the early 90s and had on occasion awakened to find a spider or insect sharing my blanket. A momentary freak out but no big deal. My last time sleeping on the ground 3+ years ago I found 3 large spiders when I awoke and I had had enough. I purchased an ENO Singlenest a few days later, searched on YouTube for how to setup a hammock, found Shug, found this place and never looked back.

What does being in the outdoors mean to you or what do you get from being outdoors?

Where I feel most at home and most comfortable is the forest. There is no ugliness, only beauty. No noise, only melodies and songs. If I didn't have my forest time I don't think I could bear this world for long.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    First. What got you into hammock camping? (Was it cost, comfort, lightweight aspect, ...) I have migrated to hammock camping because of the comfort. I still use a tent from time to time, but I seem to find every rock and root that is missed while cleaning the site prior to set-up. I also wake up at least once an hour because of the roots and rocks. Ugh.

Second. What does being in the outdoors mean to you or what do you get from being outdoors? (Escape from a long work week, contentment, relaxation, ...) I enjoy the outdoors for two main reasons ... 1st is the escape from the hustle and bustle of work. I usually find a spot with no cell coverage and enjoy the silence. 2nd is family time. The entire family enjoys getting outside. We try to find a spot with a creek and my wife and I (and sometimes the older kids) plant our chairs right in the creek and read books while we watch the kids splash and play around. Recently, we have started reading books together. We will snag a couple of books from the library or used book store and take turns reading out loud. Now that our older two are more mature, we are reading authors like Dan Brown and David Baldacci. It has made for some great weekends.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon king size
    Tarp
    TTTM tarp
    Suspension
    TTTM tree strap
    Images
    1. It was all the aspect/features of the fabric found on Bali island that get us into hammock camping back in 1996 !!
    2. freedom
    Keep your feet off the ground !!

Hammock
    COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling
    Wow, thank you guys!! It is great to see different peoples reasons to start hammock camping and to see what pulls people into the woods!

Keep 'em coming everyone, I know there's a few more of you out there. All of these posts are really interesting!!

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Two reasons. Seems most have been mentioned so will keep it somewhat simple in my answers.

1. Childhood memories. I grew up in the country, spent summers working on dairy farm. Went hunting for deer every year with my dad. Enjoyed the time we had together. Then went to college, got my Master's degree and now live in the suburbs but work in city environment. The woods are my escape to my best childhood memories. I get a peace in the woods that i can not get anywhere else. And while my dad has been gone for many years now. It feels like he is with me in the woods.

2. Age.....i'm too **** old to sleep on the ground. My kids are older now, but tent camping with the kids was fine. My daughters love the hammocks they have (made by me) and sleep in them when ever they can. My back just cannot take hard ground anymore. Now i'm not a complete convert to hammock all year long, but every time my back goes out, the hammock is my only relief.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast