Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is there a silnylon (or similar) tarp that is 11'x11' or bigger?

Hi there.

I'm looking for a quite big tarp and I'm hoping the answer will be something more packable than the Kelty Noah 12!

Basically I need at least an 11' ridgeline to accommodate a warbonnet ridgerunner, and would like some extra width to park my bike or bicycle along side me in porch mode.

The problem is, that even the biggest tarps seem to max out at 10' wide. Everything from warbonnet is listed as 10' wide. Everything from UGQ (even their big 13' ridgeline tarps) is only 116" wide (less than 10').

So does anyone know of a tarp that is 11'x11', 11'x12' or similar?
    The kelty noah 12 would do the trick, but is heavy and doesnt pack down small at all. Would love to find something similar that is silnylon or something else packable and (relatively) light.

I'm considering a cloudburst or superfly, and asking for some extra tie outs on the short sides so that I can do a kind of off centre ridgeline. In all but the worst rain, this would probably be fine.
    In torrential/sideways downpours I guess I can always leave the bike out in the rain and stack my gear under the hammock while I close up everything.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by jackbyo; 09-26-2016 at 02:27.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Have you considered a DIY tarp? If you're handy with a thread injector, you could make a custom tarp to fit just about any situation you can imagine. And if you aren't inclined to do it yourself, I'd be willing to bet that one of our cottage vendors would be happy to do it for you.

On the other hand, have you considered a separate tarp or rain cover for your bike? I would think a bike under the tarp would always be in the way.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    A DIY tarp or since you are riding a bike why not one of the larger blue tarps you can get at Walmart. These come in all kind of sizes that will work perfectly in this situation.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    The main problem with a tarp wider than 10ft is that the width of the material is usually only 60". So to get an 11ft tarp you need to sew on an extra 13-14" (due to seam allowance). It's not really worth the extra work for an extra 6" per side.

is an extra 6" really going to make that much difference in parking your bike?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images

Hammock
    DIY 11+ ft
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    DIY Speed Hooks
    Chinook Tarps would be a great value....they have a nice 12' x 9.5' and an even larger 14' x 12'....

I have been very pleased with my green 12' x 9.5' over the last 3 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Chinook-backp.../dp/B01B3P1DB0

Scott

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    My suggestion too. I'll wager that you could get any of the cottage vendor tarp makers to make you a 11'x'11' tarp using this xenon-wide waterproof fabric from Dutch.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    How about a standard 11' x 10' tarp like the Hennessy Hex (12' x 10'), or similar, with an extra foot or two of fabric sewn on one side? This would give you a 6' or 7' "porch" around 6' wide.

Alternatively, Wilderness Logics sells an add-on porch for $40. Needs tie-outs on the side of the tarp but that shouldn't be a problem - particularly if you buy the tarp from WL too!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The short answer is no: you're not going to find an off-the-shelf silnylon tarp that is 11 x 11 or bigger. You can make a custom one, or ask someone to make a custom one for you.

I personally think you should give up on the idea of finding a tarp for you, your Ridgerunner hammock, and your dirt bike/bicycle. I've never heard of anyone looking for so much from a tarp. Focus on finding the best tarp for you and your hammock, and if you need another tarp for the dirt bike, then get that.

It's just too complicated when you toss bizarre design requirements into the mix. You may as well be looking for a tarp for you and your horse!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    The main problem with a tarp wider than 10ft is that the width of the material is usually only 60". So to get an 11ft tarp you need to sew on an extra 13-14" (due to seam allowance). It's not really worth the extra work for an extra 6" per side.

is an extra 6" really going to make that much difference in parking your bike?
    Ah that makes a lot of sense about the material width. Thanks for explaining.

6" per side might not sound like a lot. On an 11x11 (or bigger) square/rectangular tarp though, a slightly off-centre ridgeline would give me a porch that's plenty big enough for my bicycle or small motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    Edit: Wow at 75 inches wide, two pieces would give me a width of 12'6". Subtract a little for edges and the seam and i'd still be well over the standard 10' width. I think this could work perfectly. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rallywagon View Post
    Chinook Tarps would be a great value....they have a nice 12' x 9.5' and an even larger 14' x 12'....

I have been very pleased with my green 12' x 9.5' over the last 3 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Chinook-backp.../dp/B01B3P1DB0

Scott
    Yep i've seen those and they look like great value. Similar material to the kelty noah I believe, so not super packable. Not a deal breaker on a bike however. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    My suggestion too. I'll wager that you could get any of the cottage vendor tarp makers to make you a 11'x'11' tarp using this xenon-wide waterproof fabric from Dutch.

Cheers

Brian
    Yep that's definitely an option. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    How about a standard 11' x 10' tarp like the Hennessy Hex (12' x 10'), or similar, with an extra foot or two of fabric sewn on one side? This would give you a 6' or 7' "porch" around 6' wide.

Alternatively, Wilderness Logics sells an add-on porch for $40. Needs tie-outs on the side of the tarp but that shouldn't be a problem - particularly if you buy the tarp from WL too!
    I saw that add on tarp! Considering that one, but have read that the water from the main tarp funnels down right into the porch area. Definitely an easy option though.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The short answer is no: you're not going to find an off-the-shelf silnylon tarp that is 11 x 11 or bigger. You can make a custom one, or ask someone to make a custom one for you.

I personally think you should give up on the idea of finding a tarp for you, your Ridgerunner hammock, and your dirt bike/bicycle. I've never heard of anyone looking for so much from a tarp. Focus on finding the best tarp for you and your hammock, and if you need another tarp for the dirt bike, then get that.

It's just too complicated when you toss bizarre design requirements into the mix. You may as well be looking for a tarp for you and your horse!
    Width is bizarre? "Never heard of anyone looking for so much"? I didn't realise an extra foot of width would be so complex. Sorry for upsetting you m8.

Luckily the members above have given me about 6 options to explore.
    Thanks everyone
    Last edited by jackbyo; 09-27-2016 at 00:23. Reason: Extra info

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast