WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    CF Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba/Wooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Which HG Winter Palace options?

First time posting, and have learned virtually everything from my gear selection to my hardware choices from reading these forums, so thanks everyone for that.

I have a WBBB XLC and a Superfly currently. I have ordered a second XLC so I can take a friend/GF/total stranger/etc., and need a second tarp. I thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade (downgrade) my weight and have decided on a HG Winter Palace as you kids rave about it and 8.6 oz compared to 19 oz seems substantial.

My questions are about options. First 11 ft vs 12 ft: 11 would be closest to what I'm used to but 12 would give me room to setup a table/chair when using car camping, or more room to cook in the backcountry in crummy weather? But I understand the downside is its harder to setup/find a location? Is that correct? Any other downsides?

And second, standard vs. camo: I could care less about the color, but is the extra cost for the camo (and extra 1.5 oz.) worth it for more privacy/less light transmission? By the time I add door ties and camo I'm up to $473 not including hardware so I'm hoping for some insight as I've never had CF before it seems worth the research before the large purchase.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    another difference between 11' and 12' tarps is that the 12' has to be pitched higher up to clear the hammock suspension. not really a negative but something to consider. also, if you're using whoopies then you still need more distance between trees in order to accommodate the whoopies, which minimizes the argument that a 12' tarp makes it harder to find trees because your hammock plus whoopies are probably 12' long anyway. there are ways to minimize the distance even while using whoopies, so i guess if that's really an issue then 11' may be a better choice. i have a 12' winter palace and love it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I wouldn't go for the camo personally and would never buy anything less than a 12 foot winter tarp. You need all the room you can get when it come to wrapping that hammock to keep out the wind and rain.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have an 11 ft. Winter Palace. I have never felt the need for a 12 ft. ridgeline, nor do I care about privacy/light transmission. If somebody can see something to titillate them through cuben fiber, they see better than me! Also, I don't spend any time in the sun (not a midday lounger) so I have never felt there was any more sun coming through the cuben fiber tarp than one of my other tarps.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    CF Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba/Wooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    another difference between 11' and 12' tarps is that the 12' has to be pitched higher up to clear the hammock suspension. not really a negative but something to consider. also, if you're using whoopies then you still need more distance between trees in order to accommodate the whoopies, which minimizes the argument that a 12' tarp makes it harder to find trees because your hammock plus whoopies are probably 12' long anyway. there are ways to minimize the distance even while using whoopies, so i guess if that's really an issue then 11' may be a better choice. i have a 12' winter palace and love it.
    I went straight to whoopies when I got my XLC and have never used the easier buckle system for hammock suspension, and never realized there was a difference in setup length requirements. So to understand, because whoopies require a bit more distance to setup, I wouldn't have any more trouble finding distance for a 12' ridgeline tarp? The downside then being I would have to hang the tarp higher to not interfere with the hammock suspension. Would the WP tarp width hung higher be enough to still go below the bottom of the hammock with underquilt attached?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nineline View Post
    I went straight to whoopies when I got my XLC and have never used the easier buckle system for hammock suspension, and never realized there was a difference in setup length requirements. So to understand, because whoopies require a bit more distance to setup, I wouldn't have any more trouble finding distance for a 12' ridgeline tarp? The downside then being I would have to hang the tarp higher to not interfere with the hammock suspension. Would the WP tarp width hung higher be enough to still go below the bottom of the hammock with underquilt attached?
    I agree with Novasquid that a 12 ft. tarp has to be pitched higher to clear the hammock suspension, and if it is hung higher, then you are not getting the full benefit of the 10 ft. width. That's one of the reasons I've never considered a 12 ft. tarp (along with the fact it reduces the trees I can select for hanging).

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I hang my 12 foot tarp lower than my hammock suspension with no issue what so ever and so do many many others. Just check out the many videos on the forum. Get the 12 foot and you'll not regret getting a tarp that is too short. Also check out the many videos where users hang their tarps lower on the tree than the hammock suspension especially in colder wetter weather.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    how is that possible? given a 30 degree hang angle and assuming all else is equal, a 12' will always be hung higher up than an 11' tarp.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    how is that possible? given a 30 degree hang angle and assuming all else is equal, a 12' will always be hung higher up than an 11' tarp.
    This is true but the difference is a few inches and the extra coverage in length is always a bonus in my opinion. Remember the tarp is a semi straight line and the hammock suspension is around a 30 degree droop. So the tarp will typically be tied below the hammock suspension if you are hanging it low.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    This is true but the difference is a few inches and the extra coverage in length is always a bonus in my opinion. Remember the tarp is a semi straight line and the hammock suspension is around a 30 degree droop. So the tarp will typically be tied below the hammock suspension if you are hanging it low.
    I don't see it that way. I have no use for the extra coverage since an 11 ft. Winter Palace already provides plenty of coverage for my 11 ft. hammock. Another foot of coverage is just extra weight. Will 12 inches more coverage give you more coverage for "to setup a table/chair when using car camping, or more room to cook in the backcountry in crummy weather?" Yeah, it will give you exactly 12 inches more coverage, which is negligible. Besides, you probably don't want to cook underneath your tarp unless you want your tarp permeated with food scent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast