Brazilian Bed Setup "Need to talk it out."

So I am looking for holes in my plan here. A very general overview not to scale attached. *Ashamed to even post that picture*

I have a Kingsize listing in at Bed width: 180 cm (5 ft 11 in); cloth length: 260 cm (8 ft 6 in); total length: 400 cm (13 ft 1 in); required minimum distance: 360 cm (11 ft 10 in). I've used hammocks but never tried to try rigging up myself.

Room has no space for stand on the floor and I felt the best way to get more length and a wide open sprawl would be diagonally. I have two 1/2" 8" eye bolts going through the joists and a 2x4 crossbeam spanning three joists before their termination hardware. These points are at aprox. 14 feet.
    From them I have hanging a 1/2" quick link and two feet of 3/8" grade 43 proof chain that allows incremental raising and lowering of a 16.8" 2x4 that spans the room diagonally. The base of the beam is currently at about 75-76" off the floor "a height at which I can walk under the beam". Now figure atleast one person will say I've over complicated this but alas that is where I am. I have 3/16" amsteel blue on order and a couple carabiners I figure will span from eyebolt to beam-end to hammock. Am I full of holes here? Would it be better to link to the beam ends from the eyebolts then to the hammock, wrap around the beam end and continue to the hammock, or bypass the beam using some smooth edged 2x4 caps and a d-ring on each end to keep the lines at the beam ends without connecting to it?

The 2x4 was only being used as a spreader bar to get the most length out of the room without wall mounting. May hang a floating nightstand from it to hold my sig... *smirks* If possible if I do link the rigging to the beam I may see about loosening the chains a link so they are not load bearing, but all things considered I like that they keep the beam from shifting in either direction because the ceiling mounts are not the same distance from the beam ends.

I've been basing things off things I've learned about hanging but going my own aswell. You don't entirely understand something until it tries to kill you a couple times afterall.

Most of the placement of mounts has to do with where the joists were, how long the beam would be, and how long the hammock would be at aprox the correct angle and height off ground. What I am trying to figure is how I should be linking these things and if the angled suspension in two directions helps or hurts me here in terms of transmitting energy to the ceiling. Should the beam be involved or left out? Any other thoughts? I am sure i haven't seen all the angles. So to speak.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bugmenat; 01-30-2017 at 13:02.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    It'll work as long as your ceiling is up to the task. Eliminating the hardware is always a good option, less failure points. The wrap will suffice.

The sway you get when hanging from a vertical spreader is fun!
    Pics when your done please.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    It'll work as long as your ceiling is up to the task. Eliminating the hardware is always a good option, less failure points. The wrap will suffice.

The sway you get when hanging from a vertical spreader is fun!
    Pics when your done please.
    I suspect it'll be like a two stage sway? One from the bar and one from the hammock and suspension, yes? The chain left tight as part of the rigging would cut down on beam sway I figure as the more weight there is the more stable itll want to be.
    This is not a new house I suspect it'll do fine, I hope. I'm not heavy by any stretch so dynamic load is the only worry. I don't want to be amplifying load with my rigging though.
    I will most certainly do pictured when the setup is up. As of now its hanging with string just so I see what it does its not load bearing at the hammock level.

Additional note. My understanding is amsteel is not a knot tying rope so for making connections to the carabiners I am looking at what? Eye splice?
    Last edited by bugmenat; 01-30-2017 at 13:32.

Images
    For what its worth, here is how i do it:

6" eyebolts put directly into studs at exact center. height about ~6'6". Bolts placed in opposite corners of the room.

For each bolt i made a sewn loop of webbing about 10". Larkshead the loop onto the eyebolt. (The purpose of this is to avoid metal-on-metal which grinds and makes an annoying squeek).

I connect the hammock suspension to the sewn loop with a climbing carabiner. (Not necessary, but makes for quick and easy takedown)

The actual suspension is just webbing and a strap adjuster ($2.50 at the hardware store).

ASCII diagram:

EYEBOLT --> WEBBING LOOP --> CARABINER --> WEBBING SUSPENSION --> HAMMOCK

Images
    What you have will work fine, a few finesse notes.
    • 2x4" is prolly bigger than you need, I use a 2x3" and I think a 2x2" would suffice, especially if you....
    • suspend the beam at the same point where you attach the hammock suspension, that way there is no bending moment transferred to the beam, it's purely in compression
    • I use loopie slings thru the eye bolt, these allow for fine adjustment and it is easy to just slip the beam into the loop (when putting up and taking down)

Is it a Brazilian or Mayan?

Images
    It's a shame the beam needs to be above head height, that necessitates the overly long beam and hammock suspension... do you not have the room width to hang directly from the ceiling?
    I made a beam hung hammock for a friend, using thick bamboo. It hung over a sofa, the hammock was 132" and the bamboo 110". When not in use, it was a ten second job to unhook the beam and hammock (as a single unit) and drop it behind the sofa... and took as long to put it back up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Is this a new type of wax?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Yes, eye splices and adjustable buries for amsteel. Theres vids and how-to's all over the forum, youtube, etc.
    With the chain quick-links, keep them threaded fully when in use. Leaving them loose can torque the threads and make it near impossible to use.

I like the 2x4. It is stout and makes a good grab rail, if needed. And weight is never an issue at home. Use what you got
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts