Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

New member but not new to hammocking!

Hello everyone. I'm new here and from Western North Carolina. I started hanging due to the lack of flat/root-free ground around the NC mountains. I love it! Been hammocking for around 6 years now.

I'm at a very interested stage of my camping life though. I'm a backpacker, I travel miles into the woods to find that solitude and peace of being the only person in my general area BUT my little girl is ready to hit the woods. She's turning 5 this May.

So I'm trying to get some "Car Camping" gear to break her in to the outdoors when my girlfriend, who I've not really taken camping as of yet, says..."I want to backpack with you this season".

Now I'm super happy that she wants to go. And I'm also stoked that I'm going to be able to take the whole family into the woods also!

The problem here is getting the gear to bridge the gap. I don't think that I'm ready to put my little girl in a hammock. I think we should tent camp when the three of us go camping right now. My girlfriend wants to hammock camp while in the backcountry though.

So do I need to get gear for both or is there some stuff that will bridge the gap between these two extremes? I'm thinking of a CCF pad for my girlfriend in the hammock. She also needs a good bag as she's not done this before and is a cold sleeper.

Anyhow, I'll be throwing a ton of ideas at you guys and gals in the next few weeks trying to iron out the kinks of getting gear that I can bring along for the hammock trips but also be able to use it while car camping or vice versa.

I want to avoid having two sets of everything if that's at all possible. The main things I'm talking about here is bags and pads fwiw.

Thanks guys and I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum!

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    i started my daughter in a eno hammock at 6 she will not sleep in the tent with mom anymore.
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    The problem i've encountered with april (my daughter) is that there are a ton of noises in the woods that she's not accustomed to quite yet and in a hammock she feels alone. Maybe after a few trips this year she'll be good to go? I'd sure hope so but I don't want to scare her on the first couple times out. I'll probably bring the hammocks along and she can try to sleep in there if she wants but have the tent to fall back on if needbe.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro15 View Post
    The problem i've encountered with april (my daughter) is that there are a ton of noises in the woods that she's not accustomed to quite yet and in a hammock she feels alone. Maybe after a few trips this year she'll be good to go? I'd sure hope so but I don't want to scare her on the first couple times out. I'll probably bring the hammocks along and she can try to sleep in there if she wants but have the tent to fall back on if needbe.
    At 5, I'm sure she wouldn't add too much weight to share?? Not knowing what kind of hammock system your using could make a difference.
    At the very least, you could hang the hammocks side by side under one tarp.

If not, maybe consider a tarp on the ground. you could use that tarp later with a new hammock. A tarp like a JRB 11x10 used on the ground could be configured to let you (sort of) close off the ends (like an A frame tent) for more privacy...
    CCF pads are great for kids on the ground (they don't need as much cushion as us old people!). sleeping bags can be opened to be used as a TQ in a hammock later so they are good either way.

You are a lucky man to have so many interested camping ladies in your life! Welcome to our addiction
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forums!
    Congratulations and condolences. I know the feeling of having to outfit a girlfriend and her son. Great joy and cost.

My girlfriend is also a very cold sleeper and I think she would probably throw something at me if I suggested she use a pad. Spend the coin and get her a quality underquilt; she'll love you even more for it. If you are already planning to buy her a bag why not consider a quilt? Less weight and just as effective in a hammock or on the <gulp> ground. As for gear that is good for bridging the gap; I don't know. I haven't found much. I'm either car camping with 10,000lbs of crud or I'm hiking with quite a bit less. But, my sleep system doesn't change.

Good luck with your ladies. You're a lucky fella to have two of them that want to go to the woods with you.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH safari asym
    My 7 year old daughter does ok in the hammock with me, however she has very sharp elbows. about time she got her own. My boys are already in their own.
    Get out while you can

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This might be a good thing for a parent and child.http://www.junglehammock.com/models/vertex/index.php

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    So you can use an underquilt instead of a bag?? Anything on covering you for that or just underneath?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro15 View Post
    So you can use an underquilt instead of a bag?? Anything on covering you for that or just underneath?
    The underquilt is just for below; still need something on top like another quilt. Isn't hammocking cheap?
    The Speers have something called a PeaPod that folks here have had good success in using without a top quilt. I haven't tried it, so I don't know.

What kind of hammock are you using?
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast