Page 1 of 136 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridge Hammock

Bridge Hammock

Is this the JRB cat cut concept?
    http://australianheritagefleet.com.a...v/Hammock.html

TeeDee posted this link my other thread.

Images
    Looks like it to me. If they can market it, then more power to them. After laying in one, making one similar is definitly on my extended DIY list.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Has anyone tried the australian or JRB Bear Mountain bridge hammock? Im interested in any report or preview before doing a DIY. Will a webbing suspension be more workable instead of a rope like the australian's?

I think I may try to make one by refashioning my current hammock and using my hiking poles as spreader bars. Do you think hiking poles can handle the load?

Images
    Here are my thoughts from laying in it for a few minutes.

-It is really comfortable.

-I did not feel any torque on my waist when I laid on my side or stomach.

-You need a pillow. Not a big deal just something to figure in. I use one anyways.

-I would need somthing underneath my knees or between them on my back or side. Again, I use one anyways in a hammock and in a bed.

-I need a long model. When you are figuring the length, remember when sleeping on your stomach that your feet will add a few mintues of length. Probibly on the order of 6" to 1'.

-I would made the head end high enough to be able to sit up in it and use it as a back rest without having my head in the netting.

-I would use hiking poles as spreader bars. I slept in the backyard in my hammock last night and was thinking about it. I would rig something up where one side would attach to the handle side and the other to the end of the first section in the hiking pole. This would put all of the force on a continous metal section and not on 2 or more sections.

-I would use spectra to go into the rings then straps to the trees just like my normal hammock. This would also save some weight.

-I think 1.9 untreated would work just fine and save weight over the material they use.

-I would make mine a little wider. When I laid on my side my knees would hit the sides. This width is kind of determined by the length of the spreader bar.

In the end I like the design. I am planning on making one when I get back this winter. I want to make it also since I think it would work on the ground really easily. I would use an inflatable pad, probibly a DAM as bottom insulation in the air and padding on the ground. I think it would be the perfect hammock for the times when you do not know if you can hang or not, but still need bug protection.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It's a very interesting concept and I would also like to attempt to make one. I think I would have to see a JRB hammock in person or something similar to do a DIY version any justice. I got plenty of hammocks at the moment so this project is on the back burner for now.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    About two years ago I called Tom Hennessey and talk to him about this concept of using hiking poles to spread the hammock apart like this and he did not see where it would help the hammocker. I was not thinking of it as this concept at the time but now this may be something that may catch on. If you could control the shoulder squeeze then it would catch on I think.

Images

Cool idea

This is something that I have put on my DIY projects list as well. I like the idea of no shoulder squeeze and the ability to lay in almost any position. I, too would use my trekking poles as spreaders (yay multi-use gear)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rptinker View Post
    Has anyone tried the australian or JRB Bear Mountain bridge hammock? Im interested in any report or preview before doing a DIY. Will a webbing suspension be more workable instead of a rope like the australian's?
    I tried the JRB hammock twice at TD. It was extremely comfortable - almost like laying on a cot. I'm female and have small shoulders so the shoulder squeeze some of the fellows mention didn't bother me much. I was able to change position easily and the hammock remained flat no matter what I did. I was even comfortable on my stomach.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    I tried the JRB hammock twice at TD. It was extremely comfortable - almost like laying on a cot. I'm female and have small shoulders so the shoulder squeeze some of the fellows mention didn't bother me much. I was able to change position easily and the hammock remained flat no matter what I did. I was even comfortable on my stomach.
    When you write flat - do you mean flat from head to toe or flat from shoulder to shoulder?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 136 1231151101 ... LastLast