Page 111 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1354

Thread: Bridge Hammock

Well, I'll add one more. I think it's time for me to build a classic bridge hammock. I have a buddy who has a bad back from packing heavy loads over rough country.

The bridge's lay-flat profile and light weight sound ideal for him. I have bought some dark cammo pattern ripstop cotton and a thin fleece liner and plan to make a low profile fleece lined hammock with a simple non-structural ridgeline wind stopper/ cocoon. Such a thing would not work in the hot and wet months, but would be ideal for Hong Kong winters.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag

Attachment of poles with stud bolt.

After I logged off last night another option occurred to me about how to attach the hiking poles with the bolt in the handle end.
    Take a piece of aluminum flat about 1" wide by 2" long. Drill a hole in the middle and tap it to be the same treads of the hiking pole. That is probably a 1/4" bolt if it is the same as a camera tripod.
    Put a hole or slot in each end to attach the webbing and the suspension line through. The hammock webbing could be attached to one end. The suspension to the other end. When setting up the hammock, just screw the bolt into the threaded hold, that would hold it in place.
    Additional holes could be drilled for accessaries if needed.
    It probably would not weight much more than a ring that it could replace.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    After I logged off last night another option occurred to me about how to attach the hiking poles with the bolt in the handle end.
    Take a piece of aluminum flat about 1" wide by 2" long. Drill a hole in the middle and tap it to be the same treads of the hiking pole. That is probably a 1/4" bolt if it is the same as a camera tripod.
    Put a hole or slot in each end to attach the webbing and the suspension line through. The hammock webbing could be attached to one end. The suspension to the other end. When setting up the hammock, just screw the bolt into the threaded hold, that would hold it in place.
    Additional holes could be drilled for accessaries if needed.
    It probably would not weight much more than a ring that it could replace.
    A couple of days and we'll push this thread to 1000 posts easily.
    Only 30 some to go? In a parallel universe where TeeDee never left the forums they've gone well over 1000 already. Of course, in that universe maybe my seams failed me when I optimistically pitched over rocks, making me quadriplegic thereby limiting my typing ability to hunt-and-peck with my tongue...

I do have a concern about the T-nut solution. With the kind of short suspension sides I have to use to get my bridge and its suspension full under a tarp, the webbing makes a pretty sharp bend right at the point where the spreader bar meets it. That's going to put a lot of torque on the monopod bolt (which indeed is 1/4"). But with the aluminum strip solution, you could just bend the aluminum past the thread to an angle that that suspension line is taking towards the ring.

Now I need to be a metal worker too to be a bridge engineer. I'm bound to run into union problems here pretty soon...

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Only 30 some to go? In a parallel universe where TeeDee never left the forums they've gone well over 1000 already. Of course, in that universe maybe my seams failed me when I optimistically pitched over rocks, making me quadriplegic thereby limiting my typing ability to hunt-and-peck with my tongue...

I do have a concern about the T-nut solution. With the kind of short suspension sides I have to use to get my bridge and its suspension full under a tarp, the webbing makes a pretty sharp bend right at the point where the spreader bar meets it. That's going to put a lot of torque on the monopod bolt (which indeed is 1/4"). But with the aluminum strip solution, you could just bend the aluminum past the thread to an angle that that suspension line is taking towards the ring.

Now I need to be a metal worker too to be a bridge engineer. I'm bound to run into union problems here pretty soon...

Grizz
    We are like a union here, you do all the work and we stand around and supervise while tossing in our ideas.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

Grizz
    Also in that universe, you've moved all the virtual trees so often that they're a bit unsteady now.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Also in that universe, you've moved all the virtual trees so often that they're a bit unsteady now.
    Ah, but that's a feature, dontcha think? Nothing like being in a hammock when
    the wind is so strong that the trees are swaying and the suspension line hums in vibration.

Provided of course that you're snug in your hammock hanger @ tm*

With those virtual trees you only need a little breeze to set things a rockin'.

Grizz

* made in America by union labor

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag

Grizz
    If you don't have the metal skills or tools I could probably knock out a couple of prototypes and send to you. That's if I can find some stock at my local salvage place.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    If you don't have the metal skills or tools I could probably knock out a couple of prototypes and send to you. That's if I can find some stock at my local salvage place.
    That's kind of you, thanks. If that works out for you I'd be happy to feature these prominently in an up-coming version.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I will go see what kind of material I can get. Will the 1" by 2" size be about right? Holes in the end, 1/2" round on both ends or do want a flat one on one end for the webbing?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I will go see what kind of material I can get. Will the 1" by 2" size be about right? Holes in the end, 1/2" round on both ends or do want a flat one on one end for the webbing?
    1" x 2" seems about right. 1/2" hole will be fine for the suspension rope, a slot large enough for webbing would distribute the force on the webbing better than a hole would. Figure maybe a smidgen over 1/2" in height, and about 3/8" in width.

I think I can do the bending here. I do have a vise and a mallet. Going to want to make the bend pretty close to the threaded hole, which suggests that the hole can be centered in the piece.

many thanks!

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 111 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast