Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up Loco Libre Cayenne Pepper Synthetic Underquilt Review

George from Loco Libre is making some fine gear. He has quickly developed a following and I think one of his best products is his synthetic UQs. There is more thought, shaping and features that go into his Cayenne Pepper than any other synthetic quilt that I know of, yet his price beats most other synthetic quilt cottage vendors. I have known and done business with George before he started Loco Libre and he is an innovator and his quality is always top notch. Some of the features of his quilts that make his better and make the others more like a rectangle blanket with shock cord are...

He offers down filled draft collars- If draft collars are good on a down quilt which conforms more easily, why would it not be needed on a synthetic UQ? It is needed more and I think this is the biggest reason his quilts excel. You can have all the insulation in the world under you, but if you are getting a good seal, then you will have cold spots. They are standard for his quilt but if you are adverse to using down he will leave them off and even give you a discount.

He puts on a dual suspension- Again what is good for the goose is good for the pepper. A synthetic quilt is a little heavier and a good suspension is needed to get that seal to keep the CBS from giving you a bad night of sleep.

He does a lot of shaping of his quilt- George makes a synthetic UQ like a down one. It is differentially cut and shaped to contour the body.

He has a huge amount of customizing options-Make it longer, wider, thicker, different fabrics.....He custom make each quilt for you to fit you. You can even get an option for snaps to make it into an insulated bivy sack. How cool is that?.

If you are in the market for a synthetic UQ, be sure to compare the Pepper and I think you will see you get much more for your hard earned dollars.
    http://www.locolibregear.com/gear.ht...egory=16557528

Here is a great review done by SectionHiker.com...
    http://sectionhiker.com/loco-libre-c...rquilt-review/
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-21-2016 at 21:15.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I have to agree with Dutch on this one, George puts out some amazing looking quilts!
    And the draft tubes on either syn or down just makes sense
    Now, what one am i gonna win in the Loc Libre raffle??

All the reasons stated above are why I just ordered one last week! Looking forward to giving it a try.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I completely agree and is why I own 3 LocoLibre quilts with another on the way. They are so purdy

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks Dutch, I appreciate the kind words!

"What's good for the goose is good for the pepper" - I like it!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I just woke up in my hammock from a night of gear testing. Last night, after several nights sleeping with my summer quilts, I set up my full-length cold-weather quilt. I slept soundly all night in a 25-degree (CS 6.0) 80" x 50" Loco Libre Gear Cayenne Pepper underquilt that I purchased this summer, and I am very impressed by it. By far, it's the most comfortable underquilt I own. Customization, quality, performance, and attention to detail in an affordable synthetic quilt were the reasons I chose LLG, and George delivered with this model. The subtle differential shaping, rare for synthetic UQs, is one of first things you notice about the Cayenne Pepper when you unbox it and lay it out. When it goes on the hammock, the draft collars, generous sizing, and sophisticated suspension set-up help you achieve an excellent seal with a minimum of fiddling, and the quilt stays put with perfect coverage through the night. I love this LLG UQ, and I really feel like I got value for my dollar in choosing it as my primary cold-weather bottom insulation. (I even got the Jalapeño Pepper synthetic top quilt to match!)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 09-20-2016 at 07:44.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    This quilt is on the top of my list and now with an endorsement like that I'm convinced.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    If I didn't need a down UQ for lightweight, compressible backpacking the synthetic quilt from LLG would be my choice.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Cloud Burst
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Cayenne
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thank you for the thoughtful review, Dutch! You explained all the reasons why I chose to order a pair of synthetic quilts from Loco Libre just a few days ago. My only regret is not ordering earlier!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I just woke up in my hammock from a night of gear testing. Last night, after several nights sleeping with my summer quilts, I set up my full-length cold-weather quilt. I slept soundly all night in a 25-degree (CS 6.0) 80" x 50" Loco Libre Gear Cayenne Pepper underquilt that I purchased this summer, and I am very impressed by it. By far, it's the most comfortable underquilt I own. Customization, quality, performance, and attention to detail in an affordable synthetic quilt were the reasons I chose LLG, and George delivered with this model. The subtle differential shaping, rare for synthetic UQs, is one of first things you notice about the Cayenne Pepper when you unbox it and lay it out. When it goes on the hammock, the draft collars, generous sizing, and sophisticated suspension set-up help you achieve an excellent seal with a minimum of fiddling, and the quilt stays put with perfect coverage through the night. I love this LLG UQ, and I really feel like I got value for my dollar in choosing it as my primary cold-weather bottom insulation. (I even got the Jalapeño Pepper synthetic top quilt to match!)
    This is all good to hear, as my Cayenne Pepper UQ and TQ are currently in route to my abode. I debated the down option, but until I become a true ultralight aficionado I figured these two were good base options for me. And I'll have plenty of time to add to the collection! I did go with the full length, perhaps I could have done the 3/4, but so be it. I don't spend much time regrets.

Man, I hope they get here by Friday, I may run out to a nearby state park and grab a site and test them out Friday overnight (only a 20 minute drive). Thank you Dutch and kitsapcowboy for the reviews!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast