DIY Netless (11'2'')
    Tarp
    Winter12 silpoly
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/Biner

DIY Tarp!

Alrighty. I did a thing. I ordered up 4 yards of 1.6oz HyperD XL and a hank of 1/8" Amsteel to make a DIY Hammock. That's pretty straightforward since for now I'm re-purposing my carabiner and Atlas strap system from my ENO Doublenest. It was also time for the 4 pound 10' x 12' camo tarp I've been using from Lowe's (with those sticky tarp zippers for doors!) to go away and never come back. I ordered a pre-cut Winter12 STD from ripstopbytheroll in 1.1oz silpoly and a roll of Gutermann MARA 70 thread. Should be around 18 oz when it's all put together.
    Can I use 100% tubed silicone with mineral spirits to seam seal the silpoly? Seen it done on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uaJlcayvys) that doesn't mean it's a smart decision though. Apart from that really don't have any questions, the instructions on RipstopByTheRoll's site are pretty well detailed and since the cat-cuts are pre-cut I don't have to worry about anything other than put the two ends together, hem it, and attach the tie outs! Also in the list of stuff included it seems they included a nice size piece of blank material for a stuff sack which is awful nice of them.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Sounds like you have your projects lined up. I'm doing the much the same thing and just completed the DIY Hex12 from RSTBR. It turned out better than I first thought. It was my first tarp and quite the hand full.

Yes, use 100% silicone thinned with mineral spirits to seal. You can get it pretty thin and it works into the threads great. I used a cheap foam applicator and it all sealed up nicely.

I had issues keeping all that fabric under control, it's slippery and unruly. I sealed the inside and outside just to make sure I got all the holes. Still hanging up drying as a matter of fact.

My post is here.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...jects-commerce!

Good luck and enjoy the process. Post pics.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY Netless (11'2'')
    Tarp
    Winter12 silpoly
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    Sounds like you have your projects lined up. I'm doing the much the same thing and just completed the DIY Hex12 from RSTBR. It turned out better than I first thought. It was my first tarp and quite the hand full.

Yes, use 100% silicone thinned with mineral spirits to seal. You can get it pretty thin and it works into the threads great. I used a cheap foam applicator and it all sealed up nicely.

I had issues keeping all that fabric under control, it's slippery and unruly. I sealed the inside and outside just to make sure I got all the holes. Still hanging up drying as a matter of fact.

My post is here.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...jects-commerce!

Good luck and enjoy the process. Post pics.
    Will do! Just got the "order has been shipped" email and I'm getting excited! I am slightly nervous about the stitching, even though the stitches themselves are really basic. Basic hem, basic joining of two ends of a fabric...cuts are already done which again, really simplifies things for me. Pins pins and more pins will be my friend here. Probably gonna start with the hammock because that's a bit simpler.

Hammock
    DIY 11' DL Robic XL 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter Sil
    Insulation
    DIY UQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I agree, do the hammock first. The silnylon of any flavor is super slipery and doing a hammock first will give you a good feel for it. I did my hammock before my tarp.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Pins will work. I decided on binder clips to avoid extra holes. Please report your success

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    You won't need to mix 100% silicone with mineral spirits to seam seal the tarp. I finished my tarp this past June and used permatex from Auto-zone to seal both sides of the ridgeline and and ridgeline tie-outs. I used the 100% silicone for windshields and spread it with a small brush. Just my opinion for less hassle and work and still accomplish the same results.

Hammock
    DIY Netless (11'2'')
    Tarp
    Winter12 silpoly
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by gfstanley View Post
    You won't need to mix 100% silicone with mineral spirits to seam seal the tarp. I finished my tarp this past June and used permatex from Auto-zone to seal both sides of the ridgeline and and ridgeline tie-outs. I used the 100% silicone for windshields and spread it with a small brush. Just my opinion for less hassle and work and still accomplish the same results.
    Will look into it. Only reason I'm thinking about the tube and mineral spirits is I'm also going to be making a bivvy...and a tarp tent...and probably another tarp...and a hammock sock...and an UQ with a protective cover...yeah I kinda got bit by the DIY bug when I got into airgunning and the same thing is happening here unfortunately for my wallet Even if the tube hardens I can toss it and buy new ones while I keep using the same jug of mineral spirits.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    I also used the permatex on my DIY winter 12 from RSBTR. Worked really well straight from the tube. And big +1 on the clips. I used the clover wonder clips and was very pleased.

Hammock
    DIY Netless (11'2'')
    Tarp
    Winter12 silpoly
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/Biner
    All the materials should be arriving Thursday!

Hammock
    DIY Netless (11'2'')
    Tarp
    Winter12 silpoly
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by NJMevec View Post
    All the materials should be arriving Thursday!
    Alright it's all here! Was surprised at how small the package was. Working on my hammock and cut off a strip of the 1.6oz HyperD to practice/tension etc. and I keep getting a giant birds nest on the back. Time to trial and error this thing!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast