LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm just going to echo others here.

I bought the Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip as my first (and still only) hammock about a year or so ago.

I've used it a lot since then.

I kept it stock for the first 2-3 trips, then started changing some things.

I got caught in a massive storm and, while I didn't get wet, I had to secure a poncho tarp over the head end of the stock Hennessy tarp as a makeshift door/wind block to stay dry... so, soon after that, I picked up the Monsoon tarp on sale for $59.00.

I swapped to whoopee slings / dyneema tree straps / marlin spike hitch + toggle to save weight and time.

I picked up an underquilt and now realize that something like the 2QZQ zipper mod is probably going to have to happen. I need to be able to adjust the underquilt with ease from within the hammock.

I tried out my daughter's Asym ZIP, my grandson's bottom entry, and my SIL's non-HH hammock, and got an Asym ZIP of my own. The only things I've changed are 1. Kammock Python straps, because trees aren't always cooperative, 2. Rings and carabiners, and 3. a line connecting the zippers so I can easily zip up from lying comfy in my bedding.
    Oh, and built a stand too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Some folks know a good thing when they get it and some have to modify it until they break it. The basic bottom entry, small tarp tie the rope system works very well. If you want a bigger tarp it is better off separate. It does take a significantly bigger tarp to do the same job that way. After than changes screw things up as much or more than they help.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Hennessy
    I bought the Backpacker, bottom entry and my husband has the Explorer. Weight, cost and ease of use were our considerations. I am new to hammocks, so my mods are cinch and buckle strap on hammock, separated tarp with stingers and zing it, shock cord, reflective tie outs and tarp worms. I'm going for quick and easy since I don't like setting up by headlamp and my husband has never set up camp in the light of day. We have homemade UQ with matching bottom opening. Our next change will be adding the larger hex tarp and creating a side-by-side hang and a homemade stuff bag for the stuff I like to have handy--- like bear spray. Also since I like easy we have snake skins for hammock and I'll make a bishop bag for the tarp.
    I like the bottom entry because I believe it keeps out mosquitos better, I can look down and make sure I'm not stepping on a snake, and in an emergency I can put my feet down and pee while my top half stays warm ( I'm short). Probably TMI.
    I think the fact that you can modify the set up is one of the draws of hammock camping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first hammock, which I started using in 2003, was a rope hammock with a pad in the bottom and a blue tarp tied above. I winter camped nicely in that with a warm down sleeping bag. It allowed me to continue going on scout campouts without the back pain that comes from ground dwelling. Then I saw a youtube video about the Hennessy Hammock 2.5 bottom entry, and I got one used from EBAY in 2006. I thought it was a brilliant idea to sow the bug net into the hammock like they did. But the narrow tarp did not keep the rain out, and the Hennessy lashing did not hold its tension.

After a year I got a Hennessy Hex Tarp, and got whoopie slings and tree straps for it. That was great. I would take it on Scout camp outs, and the other leaders would look at it with puzzlement on their faces, especially in the winter. This hammock was not an asym at all, but I managed to sleep at a diagonal pretty well.

Two years ago I saw an Expedition asym zip on EBAY for next to nothing, and bought it. It did not have the tarp with it, but I did not care, I used the Hex tarp with it and am happy to do so. The zippered system is well made, and I am the right size for it.

I have avoided becoming a gear hog, and try to keep it simple. I let scouts use the 2.5, and am content to use my Expedition into the foreseeable future. The only thing I may do is get an under quilt to replace my pads, which I still use. The HH is a good place to start, but I think you will have to upgrade in a few places.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JrB Mt W 4
    You ask a great question. I often wonder the same thing, from the other side. So many hammock discussions seem to steer people away from Hennessy, or not mention them at all. The original stock tarps were too small, and the zippers, tree straps & end lines are generally overkill in their strength & they should sell the bottom entry with zippers. Other than that, I can't think of any deficiencies. Perhaps I am ignorant in my bliss? I am very happy with HH. Though, in fairness, I haven't had the opportunity to try any other modern systems.

Bottom entry is great. It lets a person get in/out in seconds. No fronky bugnet to setup or get in the way. Bottom entry w/ fixed bugnet & zipper access is awesome. The zippers (mod) are good for adjusting equipment & for scenery. The bottom entry also allows me to hang with the bottom of the hammock high off the ground, which I like, especially when you set the tarp high enough for a good view.

The hex tarps seem very comparable to others, so that isn't swaying anyone's decision. (The snakeskins on the tarp make setting up/taking down in a downpour almost enjoyable. Those are common elsewhere too though.)

I like the simplicity of the system. Few parts to keep track of. You could do mods on it if you wanted. I don't see that as a limitation. Though, I can't really see the point beyond a couple clips or biners to save 20 seconds of setup time. I have never found myself wishing for any changes... (well I would like a hammock setup that could easily span a 50 foot gap, but that's different.) I am not well versed in other brands or in extra hardware & you can't compare tents to hammocks, but I will: I haven't seen many people ever mod their tents or buy extra hardware... it makes me wonder why so many parted-out hammock systems are so popular? I know Tom Hennessy is hesitant to endorse metal clips on suspensions and he likes to keep things simple. This works for me as well. I do need to experience other brands before I can adequately compare systems, but for now I am very comfortable in my HH and I see no benefit to changing the setup or suspension.

I am biased. I am Canadian, and enjoy supporting Canadian companies if they can compete. Also, when I got my first hammock HH was the only company I was aware of.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    TG WinterTorrent
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/LL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker and Safari Deluxe with bottom entry and the 2qZq Mod 4.

I think this is a question of what sort of hanger you are. When I got my Hennessys I was a car camper and going to the same place each time. Weight was not an issue for me, and I knew that it was to be my first camping hammock in a series of hammocks. I had spent 6 months sleeping indoors on a Brazilian, so I already knew I liked hammocks. I like playing with knots, and found the bottom entry intriguing, so it was an easy place to start, but I knew it was just a start and I would be trying a lot more styles and fabrics so I can find my best multi day hammock, my best car camping hammock, my best snuggle hammock, my best indoor hammock, etc, 'cause for me, they're not they same. That's why by the time I retire, I will be able to open a used hammock, tarp, suspension store/museum.

If I was going to buy 1 hammock for a 6 month thru hike, it probably wouldn't be a Hennessy, but If I'm going to my local creek, with the crazy Aussie mosquitoes and spiders, my Hennessy deluxe is my first choice. Having said that, just like with beds, we are all different, and when you shop for a bed even if the first option feels perfect, you try other beds, cause you don't know what perfect is until you've tried them all.

I wish I lived in the US so I could go to a group hang and try everything. Bridge styles, double layer and pads, amok style, all the different tarps, different suspensions, underquilts. You guys have it all, thankfully youtube works in Australia, so I can at least see Shug.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    While they seemed to be frowned upon in some circles, I have no complaint with my Exped Asym. It was my first hammock setup. It doesnt see much use anymore because I tend to do all my camping/hanging in colder weather and the bug net just is not needed. The supplied tarp is fine to keep you dry when your inside it but not much room to cook over a alcohol stove etc., or just random camp chores that need to be done under cover. I do like it well enough that I will keep it.
    The final weapon is the mind. All else is supplemental.

Hammock
    Hennessey Jungle Explorer
    Tarp
    Hex Assmembly
    Insulation
    Radiant Double Bub
    Suspension
    Straps
    I am new to the hammock thing.I borrowed a Hennessy bottom entry hammock from a friend,used it in my yard and was hooked.It's just what i needed and nothing more.I purchased a Jungle Explorer and a Double Bubble pad for summer use.I'm waiting on a Potomac Underquilt for 3 season use.Here in Fl.we lack a winter.I'm going to figure out a way to hook up the suspension rope to avoid the knot,but,won't be cutting it off.

For me the complete system was good................YMMV

Robin
    Hennessey Jungle Explorer Zip Double Bottom
    Hex Symetrical 70D Rainfly
    Radiant Double Pad,Potomac UQ
    Snake Skinz

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin A View Post
    I am new to the hammock thing.I borrowed a Hennessy bottom entry hammock from a friend,used it in my yard and was hooked.It's just what i needed and nothing more.I purchased a Jungle Explorer and a Double Bubble pad for summer use.I'm waiting on a Potomac Underquilt for 3 season use.Here in Fl.we lack a winter.I'm going to figure out a way to hook up the suspension rope to avoid the knot,but,won't be cutting it off.

For me the complete system was good................YMMV

Robin
    Robin,

Try the Becket hitch shown at the 3 minute point of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgyO2JnHE7g

Also some recent discussion here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=becket+hitch
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast