Looking for Help with sparrow

Hello,

So I am going to buy my first hammock from dream hammock. It will be a sparrow and I have looked up a lot about what length and width to get but I am not sure. I am planning on getting multicam. I am 5'11" and about 245lbs. Also not sure if I should get a double.

Thanks for all the help in advance

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Dutch/WL/DH
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Amsteel
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SNomelc View Post
    Hello,

So I am going to buy my first hammock from dream hammock. It will be a sparrow and I have looked up a lot about what length and width to get but I am not sure. I am planning on getting multicam. I am 5'11" and about 245lbs. Also not sure if I should get a double.

Howdy SNomelc, and welcome.

I don't own a Dream Hammock Sparrow (yet) but I will share what I know.

I am a bit shorter than you @ 5',9" and I find 11ft to be more comfortable than shorter hammocks. As far as single vs double layer, I opt for double layers not just because of the added weight capacity but more for the perceived durability and added mosquito protection. To me that is enough to offset the slight weight increase.

I am a Multicam fan. I am sure you have seen crhoades post pictures of the gorgeous custom Multicam Sparrow that DH made for him: Order#3746 And a more recent order here: Order#4072

Per Dream Hammock's Fabrics page, the 1.9oz Multicam ripstop fabric they use is 61" wide unfinished (unsewn). A finished DH hammock will be the the stated fabric width, less 1.5 inches for the sewing. So that is ~59.5" maximum width for a 1.9 Multicam ripstop hammock. You could go narrower but many will tell you that a narrower hammock isn't as comfortable as a wider hammock. For me, a hammock needs to be at least 58" wide to be comfortable.

Options are limited to go wider in Multicam. I only know of the 1.1 Intruder Multicam fabric which came in widths of 69" and 72" from RipstopByTheRoll.com. The 1.1 Intruder is sold out and has been for some time. You should be aware that 1.1 ripstop in single layer has a weight rating of only ~200lbs. DH no longer sews 1.0 or 1.1 single layer hammocks and will not use 1.0 or 1.1 as an outside layer on double layer hammocks as mentioned on their Fabrics page.

I certainly cannot speak for Dream Hammock but apparently they used to offer the custom option of sewing on "wings", which are additional strips of fabric on either side to give you a wider hammock. This would be similar to how an ENO hammock is sewn. You could kindly ask DH to see if this is something they could still offer.
    Last edited by 2 Samuel 22; 09-19-2016 at 13:21.
    Semper Paratus - Fidelis - Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria
    | FAITH | FAMILY | FREEDOM |
    Instagram:
    @2ndSamuel22

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Samuel's post above gives great information.

My Thunderbird is a bit older and was constructed with the currently "out of stock" 1.1 Intruder Multicam. My primary reason for going double layer was for extra durability and weight bearing. I'm <150lbs and 5'8" and I prefer an 11' hammock for extra and easier obtainable comfort, but I've slept in 10' and 10'5" hammocks comfortably as well. Although my order went in long before 1.1 wasn't being used as an outer layer, I went with an inner layer of HyperD as it has an absolutely wonderful feel to it. Unfortunately the 1.1 Intruder isn't currently being produced and we haven't heard when and if it will ever be brought back by RBTR. This will limit your maximum width as mentioned above.

I also went the Multicam and ATACS-FG combo, though I didn't get quite as many glamour shots; Order#1832

You'll find quite a few posts on the forum debating the usefulness of a double layer hammock, so I'd encourage you to do a little searching as well. In addition to extra weight bearing capabilities, some will also use the double layer to insert a pad in-between the layers for insulation. It'll add weight having two layers and no one can tell you if that is ok for you personally.

The 1.9oz ripstop is a very durable fabric and I think Dream Hammock is understandably conservative on their stated weight rating. At 245, I'd think you'd be comfortable and still completely safe if you chose to go with a single layer.

If you hadn't already stumbled across them, here were a few handy links on the Dream Hammock website:

http://www.dream-hammock.com/HammockCalculator.html

http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html

The Smurfs produce exceptional products and are a pleasure to deal with. Good luck in your decision making.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by SNomelc View Post
    Hello,

Check out our "Choosing Your Hammock" tab. There is alot of good info on length, width ...... http://www.dream-hammock.com/Choosing_Length.html This is a portion of the length section
    A good starting point...
    5ft 7in or shorter? - consider a 10ft hammock in a width of 58-60"
    5ft 8in to 6ft tall? - either an 11ft x 58-60" or a 10ft with a few extra inches of width
    Well over 6ft tall? - go with an 11ft and consider using a wider fabric for more room.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird or Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Homemade 12'
    Insulation
    EE / Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I love the ATACS FG netting. Is that still available?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    I love the ATACS FG netting. Is that still available?
    Yes sir, we'd be happy to use the A-Tacs FG netting on one.
    Just contact us for details and info on how to add it to an order.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird or Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Homemade 12'
    Insulation
    EE / Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Yes sir, we'd be happy to use the A-Tacs FG netting on one.
    Just contact us for details and info on how to add it to an order.
    That's great, I'll definitely be in touch. Your work looks fantastic.
    Last edited by SWODaddy; 09-24-2016 at 14:15.

• + New Posts