Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question TQ cleaning procedure

I've used my Snugpak TQ since I got it back in June without really giving it a good wash BC its made with their "antibacterial" treated inner and outer fabric and DWR treated outer. For the most part, I haven't noticed any major smells or stains from using it this summer, but naturally sweat and humidity have dried on it from normal use and it doesnt smell fresh anymore. Same goes for the UQ and jungle blanket UQ, all made with the same materials. My question is this : given that they are synthetic filled and have chemically treated faberics for water resistance and " funk" resistance, how should I care for them while protecting these qualities? Snugpak only lists clothing care instructions on their website. Will washing them alone, separately in cool water with a small ammount of regular detergent and hanging dry be OK, or is there a better way to make sure they are germ and soil free ,while not hurting the Paratex™ inner lining, Travelsoft™ filling and Micro Diamond™ outer fabric? I don't wanna ruin them, but think its time for a good cleaning before I continue to use them through the fall and winter. Any tips, tricks or advise welcome. How do you clean your insulation???
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    First off I wouldn't wash a single piece of my outdoor gear with regular detergent. I would try contacting pro force equipment via email and if they don't get back to you use a synthetic fabric detergent, i.e. Nikwax, or gear aid, both have extensive lines of gear wash. You should also never use fabric softener or dryer sheets when washing your outdoor clothing/gear because it ruins the breathability of it by plugging the microscopic holes in it that you pay so much for. You could also look on other quilt manufacture websites and see what they recommend for their quilts, I understand it isn't the exact material but enough looking and you will find a quilt built like yours.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Sounds good, thanks for the info...
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    They recommend a powdered detergent, any idea on what brand is best? What does everyone else use?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    They recommend a powdered detergent, any idea on what brand is best? What does everyone else use?
    I have never thought any of my hammocks or quilts needed cleaning other than the ocassional spot cleaning.
    Do you sleep in your top quilt nekid or in your clothing you have been hiking in all day?

When hiking I always do a wet-one bath and change into dedicated sleep clothing even in summer I wear cabelas lightest silk.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    I can't sleep with clothes on very good. Just follow mfg recommendations hand wash in a bathtub and dry no heat or something similar I'd guess.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Either a diluted small amount of liquid detergant of whoolite, also just a small amount works good for me, but i have never had to wash any of my quilts yet and i bought the down cleaner from Jacks r better for when that day comes,, i have washed my hammocks and do so anually in the fore mentioned manner

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    No, I sleep in clean dry clothes after cleaning myself as well lol.., I just wanted to basically freshen them up after a long summer of high humidity and heavy use. Everyone sweats right? I'd imagine a fair amount will dry on a TQ over a summer of use no matter how clean you are if its humid or gets a little warm at some point during the night right? Like I said, they don't stink bad and aren't stained from perspiration due to of the treatment Snugpak uses,but its impossible that they don't have "funk" on them, even in small amounts. I know I wash my bed sheets often, and I dont sleep outside in them lol. Just wasn't sure if they need to be cleaned somehow to keep them like new, or if its not needed BC washing will ruin the chemical treatments from Snugpak. This is my first summer hammocking, bear with me lol.

Images
    I don't think this is a bad question at all. I guess everyone has their lvl of funk they can deal with. Mine must be pretty high haha

I have 4 different hammocks I rotate out on my screened in porch. I sleep there 3 days out of every week year round.

13913653906_f8e122ecd9_c.jpg9562867437_6a446171f4_b.jpg16121782545_1d3696bf29_o.jpg12294456796_0bc8e9f5e5_c.jpg
    Last edited by OutandBack; 09-18-2016 at 21:48.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    From the Warbonnet site here's their cleaning information:
    All gear should be thoroughly dried before any long term storage, this prevents mildew.

The hammocks can safely be stored long-term in their stuffsac as long as they are dry. Down quilts will need to be stored fully un-compressed in a dry place. Never leave your down items compressed for more than a day or so.

If washing any item, never use a top-load washing machine, especially with down products. A front loader or in the bathtub by hand is fine. When washing down products, it’s also important to never use detergent-soap. Only use soap specially made for down products (www.nikwax.com makes some). Be sure to thoroughly rinse the item. This may take several rinses. The water should come out clean with no dirt or soap. The spin cycle of the front loader is fine. If washing by hand, never wring out the item. Start at one end and roll the item to squeeze out the water. Do this several times to get out as much as you can. You can then place the item in a top-load washer as long as you only put it through the spin cycle.

Place the item in the dryer on med-low heat and toss in several tennis balls. It may take several hours to dry the quilt. The shell of the quilt will feel dry quickly, but if you feel “clumps” of down inside the shell, it means the down inside is still wet. It’s very important to dry the quilt until the down is dry and there are no more clumps.

Down items don’t need to be washed very often. If you use a topquilt a lot in a year, you might wash it once or twice. Washing will not only clean the quilt, but bring back lost loft. It’s also possible to give your quilt a boost, if it looks like it’s lost some loft, without washing it. Simply throw it in the dryer on med-low heat with some tennis balls and a wrung-out damp washcloth, no washing required.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast