Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Copious amounts of silicone were used. Probably didn't need quite that much.

More lessons were learned. If sealing outside keep the sides tied down as they will blow up into the fresh silicone. Silicone doesn't wipe completely off of silpoly and less is more.

I'm always telling my son to practice and make mistakes. Thats how we learn. It seems the younger generation just wants to skip ahead to perfect. It's good to see dad practice struggle a bit.

As FRJpilot said, it will be nice to look up and see my own handy work.
    uploadfromtaptalk1474378761754.jpguploadfromtaptalk1474378769509.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BigE94; 09-20-2016 at 22:15.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I think you did a *really good job* my friend! IMO the imperfections that are inevitable in DIY projects are what make them appealing. Sure, you could buy a professionally made and sealed tarp, but now you have a tarp that you KNOW is sealed up like a beast! THAT is the kind of tarp I want.

Side-note: I bought the $10 DIY kit from RSBTR to get a little experience with some of that fabric. The fabric is a lot 'squirlier' than I anticipated, and even with the 2 bags I made with the fabric samples, the seam-ripper saw copious use.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyton3 View Post
    I think you did a *really good job* my friend! IMO the imperfections that are inevitable in DIY projects are what make them appealing. Sure, you could buy a professionally made and sealed tarp, but now you have a tarp that you KNOW is sealed up like a beast! THAT is the kind of tarp I want.

Side-note: I bought the $10 DIY kit from RSBTR to get a little experience with some of that fabric. The fabric is a lot 'squirlier' than I anticipated, and even with the 2 bags I made with the fabric samples, the seam-ripper saw copious use.
    Oh seam ripper i know thee well. Thanks for the props. The preliminary weight comes in at 15oz. That's bare with no stuff sack. Not bad considering i probably added 3oz of silicone. As you said "a beast".

I decided to use a flat felled seam for the RL. If i make another I will either use the French hybrid as detailed in RSTBR's instructions or allow larger seam allowances on the flat felled. Probably a half inch on the shorter side and an inch to fold over. Love to se a video of Kyle sewing some silpoly.

I was thinking of making some bags as well. I got some not so cheap ripstop but I may get more silpoly too. My bags may need flat felled seams.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Its all good a great lightweight tarp.
    When i use new stuff i always use matching thread as you can hide a lot of errr features
    Even now i would hesitate to use contrasting thread unless i have made about 5 of the items

The end result is great tho,
    I put dust real talc powder on the seam sealer to stop it sticking to itself when packed.
    I bet it packs very small.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Thanks Tacblades, was watching your stuff sack video today in an effort to incorporate your drawstring ideas imto my bag.

I intentionally used contrasting thread. I wanted to add some color and match the tieouts. I knew there was be mistakes and that they would show in a big way. I just decided I didn't care. Wanted to wear this one on my sleeve.

I will probably need to dust this one too. I packed it up after ample drying time. Guess ill see.

It does pack really small. I'll probably forgo the skins on this one too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12