Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Need new bad
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Images

IL- Central IL- Any group hangs/ hunting trips fall/ winter 2016

I was just wondering if there was even anyone on HF that even lived in the area that would want to have a group hang one weekend this fall / winter. I will also be going on a few hunting trips to public land in Pike county and Cass county. Thanks
    Last edited by Luke Benson; 09-16-2016 at 13:00.

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    I'm in Bolingbrook, searching endlessly where to hammock camp.
    I'm going to subscribe to this thread just in case I can attend in fall, but, not on winter...not ready yet.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not sure if you are east or west central Ill. Forest Glen Preserves near Champaign is a fun weekend or overnight backpacking loop or Sand Ridge further west. It's more of a walk in place. Never full either. Hunting is in the area. Wear bright colors.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Guess I didn't read that right. If I could , I would.

Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Need new bad
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    I'm in Bolingbrook, searching endlessly where to hammock camp.
    I'm going to subscribe to this thread just in case I can attend in fall, but, not on winter...not ready yet.
    Bolingbrook is a suburb of Chicago if I'm not mistaken. I can understand your endless searching. Google has been my best friend so far trying to find places to camp in Illinois. I have found that the further one drives from Chicago the better your chance of finding a large state park. I have found some small parks in your area (via Google ), but the reviews were quit sketchy. I will continue looking and try to go to some of the parks to scout, and report back on my findings. Ledanek thanks for your interest and subscribing.
    Last edited by Luke Benson; 09-18-2016 at 14:58.

Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Need new bad
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Not sure if you are east or west central Ill. Forest Glen Preserves near Champaign is a fun weekend or overnight backpacking loop or Sand Ridge further west. It's more of a walk in place. Never full either. Hunting is in the area. Wear bright colors.
    I am in Bloomington. Pretty much dead center of the state. I've been looking into a few state/ county parks near me. I have been to Comlara county park. And they have a large primitive walk in areas to camp. I asked about hammock camping and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. At first they thought I was wanting to put eye bolts in the trees, but after a demonstration of how a hammock works they soon found out how the suspension system of tree straps did not hurt the tree at all and then they were OK with hammock campers. Oms thanks for your input all is welcome.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie 0* /Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Ha! At a group hang this past Saturday evening we had a short discussion about considering a hike-in-camp-hike-out location. Forest Glen (near Danville) was the one I had read up some on. I believe it's an 11 mile loop, with campsites roughly at the halfway point. There seemed to be interest from 3 or 4 people within our group. For me, I'm not ready (gear-wise) for winter, and would rather not hike in the woods in hunting season. But I'd love to experience a good hike-in hang.

Here's another hikers report I read about Forest Glen
    http://www.trailspace.com/forums/tri...cs/153349.html

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Benson View Post
    I am in Bloomington. Pretty much dead center of the state. I've been looking into a few state/ county parks near me. I have been to Comlara county park. And they have a large primitive walk in areas to camp. I asked about hammock camping and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. At first they thought I was wanting to put eye bolts in the trees, but after a demonstration of how a hammock works they soon found out how the suspension system of tree straps did not hurt the tree at all and then they were OK with hammock campers. Oms thanks for your input all is welcome.
    This one is kind of strange but if you head down to LeRoy and pass through town on 150 there is a little park called Howard Virgin Timber just as you are exiting town and heading towards Farmers City. It's not a big park, you could walk the perimeter in an hour or so but it does have a couple of campsites and is just kind of a fun place to do an overnight at. No one's ever out there so fairly quiet and I believe you can hunt there. Not worth traveling a great distance to but since you're only up the road maybe worth it for a place to hang for fun for an overnight.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Not any backpacking to speak of in Illinois except maybe way down south. I live northwest of Chicago and take the kids camping/hanging at Apple River Canyon State Park in northwest Illinois. Nice, quiet park that's far enough away from light pollution that the stars are great at night. We like to go there in the fall for a weekend and just relax.

Out west there's the Mississippi Palisades which is decent.

Aside from that we usually head north....way north to Wisconsin and Minnesota.

We are going to try White Pines in a few weeks (Illinois state park).

For any real outdoors experience, sadly, you'll have to drive a long way. Illinois is really a horrible place for outdoors adventures....well that and like a million other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Need new bad
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Images

Jim Edgar Panther Creek Park

I will be at Jim Edgar this Thursday - Sunday for a hunting trip.
    Join if u can.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast