Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBRR

Hammock Camping Security Systems

Hi folks. I was hoping to pick a few brains and see if anybody can give me a pointer or two. I’ve been looking at and comparing security systems for camping for sale online but I am struggling to find anything that fulfils my specific needs. I came across the Brite-Strike CAPPSS3 system which looks like it would extremely effective at deterring ground based intruding animals. Although we don’t have bears, mountain lions or coyotes here in Australia, we do have dingoes and kangaroos, the latter posing a danger by their sheer size and brute strength. But our big problem here is snakes. We’ve got lots of them. And they are not averse to climbing up a tree and traversing a suspension line with the aim of climbing into a nice warm looking hammock. Are there any security systems out there aimed specifically at hammock campers and this particular threat? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dozer80; 09-16-2016 at 03:24.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    What do groundlings do in Australia?
    CMFSAT

Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    What do groundlings do in Australia?
    I'd expect they do the same as I'd advise for a hammock: close your zippers :-P

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Integrated bugnet or overcomer.

Nothing gets in or out without operating a zipper. Would have to be a very clever snake.

You can electrify your suspension. Doesn't have to be the whole thing, just 2 small strips of foil and a 9volt battery. Separate them by about a 1/2"-1". When a critter touches both, they will redirecting their direction of travel in a hurry.

Any motion detection system will work, do a little testing using a dog or cat.

Flashing red LEDs/lights do not occur naturally. When critters see them, it will generally give them pause. Works with polar bears, might work with pesky quadrupeds. Link them to motion detectors.

Laser (or IR) based perimeter systems. Can be cobbled together from old garage door opener parts, the sensors the prevent a door closing on something standing in the garage doorway.

New guy stands first guard duty. Go to sleep. Sleep through your shift at guard duty.

A dog. (my number one choice)
    A bigger dog. (my number two choice)
    A pair of big dogs. (ok, probably my real number one choice)
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Sorry can't really help as in the UK the biggest risk is probably from a rather angry slug.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    WBRR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    Sorry can't really help as in the UK the biggest risk is probably from a rather angry slug.
    lol!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Integrated bugnet or overcomer.

Nothing gets in or out without operating a zipper. Would have to be a very clever snake.

You can electrify your suspension. Doesn't have to be the whole thing, just 2 small strips of foil and a 9volt battery. Separate them by about a 1/2"-1". When a critter touches both, they will redirecting their direction of travel in a hurry.

Any motion detection system will work, do a little testing using a dog or cat.

Flashing red LEDs/lights do not occur naturally. When critters see them, it will generally give them pause. Works with polar bears, might work with pesky quadrupeds. Link them to motion detectors.

Laser (or IR) based perimeter systems. Can be cobbled together from old garage door opener parts, the sensors the prevent a door closing on something standing in the garage doorway.

New guy stands first guard duty. Go to sleep. Sleep through your shift at guard duty.

A dog. (my number one choice)
    A bigger dog. (my number two choice)
    A pair of big dogs. (ok, probably my real number one choice)
    Thanks for this. I'll have to look into a bit more but all valid suggestions.

Hammock Camping Security Systems

This is why Australia scares the crap out of me! Everything there wants to kill you.

I just use a solid bugnet, though. It'd take a pretty hefty snake to get through it (there are various qualities of mesh).

I would try to hang on the thinnest suspension, highest elevation, and widest span possible. It would seem to me that snakes would then have a harder time sensing your heat and not be drawn to you. But then, I know very little about snakes, so this could be complete hogwash.

If all that fails, just hang from razor wire!!

Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by chefkeith View Post
    This is why Australia scares the crap out of me! Everything there wants to kill you.

I just use a solid bugnet, though. It'd take a pretty hefty snake to get through it (there are various qualities of mesh).

I would try to hang on the thinnest suspension, highest elevation, and widest span possible. It would seem to me that snakes would then have a harder time sensing your heat and not be drawn to you. But then, I know very little about snakes, so this could be complete hogwash.

If all that fails, just hang from razor wire!!
    Firstly I don't get the "everything wants to kill you". 99% of these animals will only attack out of self defence. Heck I'd want to kill you if you decided to roll over ontop of me!

Secondly: thin suspension or razorwire isn't going to help against stuff like spiders and probably won't help against a plethora of other creatures.

Thirdly: snakes are not drawn to you for your heat. If anything they'd see you as a large predator and get the hell out of there. If they come close they're just wandering around or hunting (prey, not you).

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by massis View Post
    I'd expect they do the same as I'd advise for a hammock: close your zippers :-P
    I do exactly that regardless of hammock or tent. I've never done anything else nor will I (though I'd never considered a snake slithering in between hammock and underquilt before, thanks for that thought Dozer). I do insist on bug net but there's plenty of people who sleep just under tarps. While snakes etc are a definite danger here the odds are very low. You're far more likely to encounter one on a trail or worse in grass where you can't see it than worry about it while sleeping.

Dingos aren't an issue where I camp but feral dogs can be but again other than not leaving food around to attract them I don't do anything special there and so far haven't had any close encounters. Roos I've often had in camp but they've never been a problem and usually keep their distance.

My number one concern always has been people. People can simply act malicious, animals never do. Fortunately I haven't ever had a problem there while out camping either.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast