Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Yeah I only remember it because as I said it was a Redback, something we don't consider all that dangerous so that stood out. I agree though, it's not a common occurrence. Spiders we come across all the time (probably even more than we realise) but for the most part the dangerous ones tend to be larger and therefore easier to spot. I just make sure I always shake my shoes out before putting them on (and even then I've been bitten, luckily by nothing dangerous but the itch and having a toe well up to the size of a golf ball is still annoying).

Snakes will actively avoid contact. While it's not unusual to find one sunning itself on a track, walk heavy and they'll likely know you're coming and clear off before you ever see them.

The real Australian threat, especially starting around now, is magpie nesting season. Those birds will swoop relentlessly and many of them will make contact. Big surprise if you don't see or hear it coming. The other big problem is the Kookaburra, they have no regard for you wanting to sleep in no matter what you did last night or what time you crawled into bed this morning and then when you're up they're not shy about trying to steal your bacon right out of the pan.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    But the true threat to OZ hammockers lies right above. Waiting.

I don't care how many times it happens to me, I never expect a drop bear.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Drop bears aren't too much of an issue, just remember to smear Vegemite behind your ears and under your arms and you'll be right. Or of course just eat it daily for at least a month before you come to visit to give your body time to absorb and start excreting the chemicals when you sweat that act as a natural repellent.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    Sorry can't really help as in the UK the biggest risk is probably from a rather angry slug.
    What about those prickly lookin' lil' hedgehogz buggers getting in your shoes...?
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    While I'm new to hammocking, I've been ground camping in Oz for over 40 years and, as long as you take basic precautions (don't lay out your sleeping gear until you're ready to use it, keep the zippers closed, etc) you shouldn't have any issues with snakes.

I have, however, found that Vegemite is only 80-90% effective against drop bears.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Good way to get killed, have an alarm blast everyone in a two mile radius awake.

Maybe I only think I sleep sound, however, odd noises when I am out in the bush awaken me. When I travel alone I am very cautious about staying in stealth mode. When I travel with my dog which is now always (she is a Medical Alert K9). She is my alarm system, she is selective in her sounds, she just sort of rumbles, like a Pit Bull, then she stands up, looks like a large bear. The critters we have met close up, just quietly fade back into the brush. It is the people I am concerned about. Ricky Racoon and pals do not like dog smell, deer and big cats know dogs mean danger.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cuben fiber
    Suspension
    whoppie slings/MSH
    The fact that you're sleeping in a hammock greatly reduces the snake and spider threat. Biggest risk would be when you put your feet on the ground or in your boots when you get out of the hammock.
    For larger threats, bear spray would be useful (works on dogs, kangaroos and other 2 legged menaces).

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gringoperdido View Post
    For larger threats, bear spray would be useful (works on dogs, kangaroos and other 2 legged menaces).
    No chance of that here. Even pepper spray is considered a prohibited weapon in all but one state. I can't even have it despite being a licenced gun owner it's that's banned. Pretty much a WMD. In the same category as airsoft replicas (yes I'm serious).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Do they sell wasp and hornet spray down under?? It's basically a 20' stream of neuro-toxin. Great for self defense ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast