DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Thanks Ratdog, i think you have covered allmost all of the best ways to answer the op's question except the most usefull one that i would do if i lived in AUSTRALIA,,MOVE the heck out of there1!!!
    Second would be to camp with a dog, one of the best alarm sytems in the world!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maytag View Post
    I would be more concerned with the two legged type of predators.
    +1. I don't think there's any camp security system that would be effective against snakes, if that's your fear.

As for fear of dingoes, that sounds like a bit of a stretch. ""In our entire documented Australian history only a handful of cases of human/dingo conflict where humans were injured, or which resulted in death, have been recorded," says Lyn Watson.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17129061

Kangaroo attacks would appear to be even more rare.

http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/a...oo_attacks.htm

If I ever saw anybody using a camp security system, the first thing I'd say is, "We need to camp elsewhere, like far, far away. I can't take the noise and flashing lights, and I definitely don't want to camp near anyone that fearful!"
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Bring a dog camping....
    An expendable one I guess?

I was going to be flippant and say "zipper" like some others, but as I think about it, of all the animal phobias we see here from time to time, this seems somewhat valid. Even if you had an zipped up hammock - like a tent - you still have the bottom exposure (or potential exposure). I don't think a snake is going to just up and bite you for the heck of it, but I'd be queasy with the prospect of startling it while underneath you and you couldn't see it, or having twitching dreams while its there.

Maybe "free mice" stations along the camp perimeter to keep them occupied?

p.s. I think a cat would be better, much more expendable.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by massis View Post
    Firstly I don't get the "everything wants to kill you". 99% of these animals will only attack out of self defence. Heck I'd want to kill you if you decided to roll over ontop of me!

Secondly: thin suspension or razorwire isn't going to help against stuff like spiders and probably won't help against a plethora of other creatures.

Thirdly: snakes are not drawn to you for your heat. If anything they'd see you as a large predator and get the hell out of there. If they come close they're just wandering around or hunting (prey, not you).
    If it weren't as late at night, I could have done a better job of communicating light-hearted humor.

But did you believe I was seriously advocating hanging from razor wire?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Even if you had an zipped up hammock - like a tent - you still have the bottom exposure (or potential exposure). I don't think a snake is going to just up and bite you for the heck of it, but I'd be queasy with the prospect of startling it while underneath you and you couldn't see it, or having twitching dreams while its there.
    In a tent you're laying on a mat so the odds of being bitten through the floor of the tent are negligible. The possibility of a snake travelling down hammock suspension and finding it's way between underquilt and hammock while remote is feasible and something I hadn't considered before. A snake could easily bite through a hammock if you moved on it. Very unlikely set of circumstance though so I'm going to try not to think about it.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Interesting system. I've never seen such a thing. I am curious to know... If someone or something would breach your perimeter in the middle of the night and set off the alarm, what do you intend to do about it?

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles
    Bait those slugs with a shallow dish of beer, or a ring of salt around your camp! The salt would keep evil spirits, demons, etc. out too, or so I'm told...

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I've had an owl land on the branch a foot above my suspension and talk to me for half an hour. Hogs rooting beneath me and moving my boots. Spiders spinning webs around the suspension including one huge intricate pattern that was awesome on a foggy morning but the biggest fear I have is the two legged theiving kind.

I'm going with the idea of the cat security system and will even bring a spare hammock for it.

every-tiger-needs-a-hammock.jpg
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by massis View Post
    Firstly I don't get the "everything wants to kill you". 99% of these animals will only attack out of self defence. Heck I'd want to kill you if you decided to roll over ontop of me!

Secondly: thin suspension or razorwire isn't going to help against stuff like spiders and probably won't help against a plethora of other creatures.

Thirdly: snakes are not drawn to you for your heat. If anything they'd see you as a large predator and get the hell out of there. If they come close they're just wandering around or hunting (prey, not you).
    Not necessarily actively wanting to kill, but certainly many times deadlier defenses than nearly anywhere else in the world.

Snakes and other small creatures like to sleep in warm places... Doesn't need to be for a threatening reason, but all it takes is a sudden unexpected motion and you've been defended against to your detriment... I can see the reason for worry. Even if it's rare, all it takes is once, right? But from what I've read and heard, in Australia, I don't think it's too rare.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    i think the last person to die from a spider bite in oz was in the 70's......and there are LOTS! of spiders

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast