Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Double Hammock Whoopie Hooks ~vs~ Speed Hooks

I know the intended use of the Double Whoopie Hooks, but they look very much like the now-MIA Speed Hooks. Intended use aside, and not judging the validity and potential safety factors associated with Speedo's, how do these items differ and wouldn't the double whoopie hook do exactly what the Speed Hooks were designed to do?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

The holes are a different size and, as a result, there is a risk that the securing tuck can collapse through the hole. That said, it seem there are a number of people using DWHs in that "off-label" way...

There remains the issue of fiber breakdown due to the tight radius the Amsteel is subjected to and that COULD shorten the life of the cord.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    The holes are a different size and, as a result, there is a risk that the securing tuck can collapse through the hole. That said, it seem there are a number of people using DWHs in that "off-label" way...

There remains the issue of fiber breakdown due to the tight radius the Amsteel is subjected to and that COULD shorten the life of the cord.
    Admittedly, I am looking to try the Speed Hooks and have a second-hand set coming to me.. the originals with two holes. I use Tarp Worms so am familiar with how the SH's lock off, but I am thinking I will try the alternative method of securing them where the leader is treaded through both holes and the end is looped 'slippery half hitch' style under where the line exits one hole and enters the second.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Admittedly, I am looking to try the Speed Hooks and have a second-hand set coming to me.. the originals with two holes. I use Tarp Worms so am familiar with how the SH's lock off, but I am thinking I will try the alternative method of securing them where the leader is treaded through both holes and the end is looped 'slippery half hitch' style under where the line exits one hole and enters the second.
    That is exactly what I would do. Slightly harder sliding the hardware along the lead but probably a superior end result.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I have been using double hammock whoopie hooks as speed hooks ever since they first came out. I like them better than the original SH 1.0. For one thing the holes are bigger so they are easier to use with 1/8" amsteel. There are a number of ways to rig it to keep the knot from collapsing through the hole. I also have a set of the two hook "speed anchors" that I have been using with 7/64" amsteel and am having no fraying issues in either case. If things are at a point now where Dutch won't even give us an update on SH 2.0 I think it is time to forget about ever seeing them.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I bought them mostly out of curiosity. I'll give them a try, but it's going to be hard to beat the Loop Alien setup I have now. If there is a marked improvement in setup or adjustment, I would consider the double hammock whoopie hooks.

Does this experimentation EVER end?
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I too have been using the double whoopee hooks as speed hooks for about a year now. I'm using 1/8 amsteel with them as well, the rope is showing a little wear but still looks good enough to me to keep using for a while. So ya to answer you question they work just fine as speed hooks.

As a side note you might want to check these C.O.G.s out.https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...uct-discussion. Timplett doesn't market them anymore but last time I checked with him he still had a few left and will sell them if you pm him. They work a lot like speed hooks but with no fraying. They are bigger though. I got to Bata test one of his first sets and really like them.
    Last edited by Carrico; 09-17-2016 at 07:01.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts