Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjacker View Post
    I'm really curious as to where someone is hiking and there are trees every where but then all of a sudden no trees and they have to camp on the ground? I've never ran into it or seen it. Not to say it doesn't happen or exist but at what percentage would anyone need a hammock/tent combo? If you were being condescending, just ignore my comment. lol.
    A kayak trip with some sites with trees and some on islands. I've been looking for something like this.

Hammock
    HH backpacker
    Tarp
    still looking
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    standard
    Saw this today. I've use quilts and pads and I've always managed to find a hang but on long distance hikes sometimes I like to sleep in a shelter to avoid wet set up and wet tear down. I love my hammock and never have had a better sleep in the woods but there are times the ground has to be considered as an option.

I got a Klymit Insulated 30" wide pad to go along with my WBRR. Mostly for comfort vs insulation BUT hoping it will do both. So I will report back and keep you guys posted. I will be using it with a sleeping bag (no top quilt) in the 40s-50s.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by SectionHiker View Post
    I got a Klymit Insulated 30" wide pad to go along with my WBRR. Mostly for comfort vs insulation BUT hoping it will do both. So I will report back and keep you guys posted. I will be using it with a sleeping bag (no top quilt) in the 40s-50s.
    I have the Insulated Ultralight version of thst pad; if you are an avergae sleeper, it should definitely keep you adequately warm down to 40F. The warmth from an inflateble sleeping pad is different from the warm feeling you get from a proper underquilt, not quite the "rump-roasting" envelope of of heat; however, it will certainly stop convection from robbing your sleep system.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I have the Insulated Ultralight version of thst pad; if you are an avergae sleeper, it should definitely keep you adequately warm down to 40F. The warmth from an inflateble sleeping pad is different from the warm feeling you get from a proper underquilt, not quite the "rump-roasting" envelope of of heat; however, it will certainly stop convection from robbing your sleep system.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. And I would think sleeping bag will be plenty of help too.

Curious, do a lot of hammock guys don't use sleeping bags (thus the need for top/bottom insulation?) or it's needed WITH the sleeping bag.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Curious, do a lot of hammock guys don't use sleeping bags (thus the need for top/bottom insulation?) or it's needed WITH the sleeping bag.
    Having something zipped up to your shoulders makes getting in and out of a hammock a real pain compared to a top quilt; many hammockers who press a sleeping bag into service use it like a really wide top quilt, with the zipper mostly open. The weight of the extra insulation that gets compressed underneath you to minimal effect is better spent as a partial or full underquilt. These items don't have to be expensive, especially if you use synthetic insulation and/or DIY.

Having something zipped up to your shoulders makes getting in and out of a hammock a real pain compared to a top quilt; many hammockers who press a sleeping bag into service use it like a really wide top quilt, with the zipper mostly open.
    Sounds like I'm going to find out the hard way hehe

The weight of the extra insulation that gets compressed underneath you to minimal effect is better spent as a partial or full underquilt. These items don't have to be expensive, especially if you use synthetic insulation and/or DIY.
    What's the best place for synthetic insulation quilts? I'm not a fan of any down quilts/sleeping bags. Willing to take the weight penalty!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    What's the best place for synthetic insulation quilts? I'm not a fan of any down quilts/sleeping bags. Willing to take the weight penalty!
    I really, really REALLY like Loco Libre Gear's Jalapeno Pepper/Cayenne Pepper. The other indispensible synthetic quilt is the 3-Season Jarbidge River from AHE KAQ.

Synthetic quilts made from Climashield Apex are also pretty easy to make yourself if you happen to sew.

Nice, my mom owns a tailor shop so sawing is a none issue.

It was surprisingly comfortable.
    The biggest question for me is, how much more comfortable (if any) was it over just sleeping in the hammock with no pad.

Without considering insulation area.

My primary reason for getting a pad for a hammock is ultimate comfort......

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Likely the first thing most hammockers are surprised by is how uncomfortably cold your back side gets. For most, the temp where they find they need bottom insulation, even when they're using a sleeping bag, is between 60 and 70. I'm a very cold sleeper, and I can't sleep comfortably without an UQ (I have other issues with pads) below 75. On the other end, some folks here say they don't need bottom insulation as low as the low 50's.

The term we use is CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome).

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast