Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Here's two pics I found-
    The Exped mat in an 11' Hex 70XL and in a 36" recessed spreader bar bridge prototype

Attachment 137049

Attachment 137050
    Bill,

I love the size of that air pad. But tubes running parallel to your body is not ideal for a GE hammock. It will tend to slide out of the hammock at the feet end. It may be ok in a Bridge if the pocket is designed to fit the pad very snugly. The Klymit has a better R Value and the 'body mapping' design works better in a hammock (in my opinion).

I've tried BA mattress in my V Allen bridge pocket. It still moves too much for my liking. The Klymit stays put even with my shifting from side to side several times each night.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Thanks... had a feeling I wasn't too by my lonesome in pursuing the idea.
    I don't use hiking poles (and use the bridge poles for other things) but first thought is that I don't know why anything Grizz has put out on the subject would not apply to this design. I'm just not familiar enough with poles and conversions though to say for sure. I do plan on getting a version to another member here though to test and that was something they wanted to sort out... so hopefully soon.

The other thought- as UQ's fit a bridge so well- I've been debating an UQ style pad sleeve. Instead of integrating the double layer it could be hung like an UQ. That would let it do triple duty in a sense.
    You'd keep your base bridge single layer and then:
    Add a normal UQ- no attachment
    Add a pad attachment layer if you wanted a pad (which then you could more easily replace if you use it on the ground or in shelters and it wears)
    As a bonus- you could put the pad attachment over your UQ as a wind/splash shield if you go that route (as in it's not a total waste to own even if you will rarely use a pad).

If your UQ is much wider than 40", you'd probably want a bridge specific UQ- you can hang a normal one well enough- but it's hard to close the gaps at the midpoint well in my opinion.
    Youre my new favorite person on HF. Loving the outside the box thinking, injecting some creativity into the hobby again.

Awesome awesome looking setup and love the hanging pad idea.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    They just added this pad to Massdrop:
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/klymit-...referer=ZP7C2X

Still not worth the money IMO. For only a few dollars more one could have a much better synthetic quilt option from a quality cottage vendor.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-wit
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    EE quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies/amsteel
    I received a sample for testing for an independent review website. Unfortunately, my testing period ended after just one night of use because I was cold at 60 degrees F. Given my more specialized, cottage industry gear and experience, this product just did not jive. I am not going to post an official review and rating on the review site, since my experience was so limited, but I thought I should at least share my initial findings with the dedicated hammock camping community.
    Plain and simple, this pad is targeted towards people that are new to hammock camping and do not already have specialized equipment, such as a top/under quilt. For the majority on this forum, this product is not compatible. As background, I used it with a Dutchware Half-wit and EE 30 degree Revelation top quilt. Believe me, I was toasty on top but immediately felt a draft underneath. Later in the night, the infamous CBS set in. These issues are precisely the reason that a sleeping pad or underquilt is almost always needed in a hammock. And to put things into perspective, I've successfully used hammocks in temperatures in the low 40's/upper 30's with a combination of top quilt/sleeping bag and thermarest/reflecktix car sunshield. For these milder conditions, I would normally just use my neoair xlite thermarest (1/3 deflated) or even my sunshield, and would have been fine. It wasn't even so cold that I needed a jacket, just long pants and a light fleece sweatshirt while walking around outside.

I think the Klymit pad is fatally flawed for hammock insulation because it has sewn-through baffles (as opposed to the box wall baffle design of similar air pads such as the xlite), allowing sections of up to an inch in length to be without insulation. It is the same design as their regular pads (static V), which seem to work ok on the ground. But in a hammock, the baffles flex and leave parts of your body pressed right up against the bottom and cold air. The air can also easily circulate between the baffles.

In addition, I found the wings to be excessive and unwieldy. As many others have already pointed out, the straight-line shape of the pad suggests that you are supposed to lie in the hammock like a banana. I was still able to achieve an asym-position, but it was at odds with the shape of the pad. The wing opposite of my feet would always flap rebelliously outside of the hammock, despite tightening my knotty-mods. I felt like I was fighting to reign it in all night. This wasn't a deal breaker but the non-insulative problem is. It would seem that I can't rely on this pad to serve as my primary insulation for even mild conditions and I would sooner use my $5 reflecktix sunshield for better results.

There are a few strategies where this pad might work. The literature suggests the pad is to be used with a sleeping bag, not top quilt (again, think target mass consumers). Theoretically, the baffle design allows the loft of the underside of a sleeping bag to fill in the gaps between the baffles. I got rid of all my mummy bags years ago, so I couldn't verify this, which is also the main reason that I am not posting an official review. One might also try using the pad in combination with another pad...but that really defeats the purpose. In conclusion, just about anyone, regardless of experience and equipment, would be better served by significantly less expensive and lighter-weight options if only they do a bit of research.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    I got to see one of these just this morning at a Klymit event. I talked to the rep about condensation and insulating value. He admitted that the insulation is not very much. He also had not experienced any condensation issues in his limited testing.
    He was not a "hammocker".
    I could have purchased a new one for $100 or a refurbished for $55. I think I will stick to quits. For the weight and insulation vales quilts seem a much better investment.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    I could have purchased a new one for $100 or a refurbished for $55.
    Just curious but how do they "refurbish" a pad?

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Just curious but how do they "refurbish" a pad?
    The explanation the rep gave me was that most of the refurbished pads were from Costco returns. Often the returns are fine when returned from someone who changed their mind. They make sure they are clean and hold air and then resell them at a discount. Some had dirt stains or minor signs of use but most were just "open box". Some had a patch over a small hole.

After leaving the event at a factory I had to stop by Costco to do some other shopping. They did have the Klymit "roadshow" happening there with the full price items.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes

Hammock
    DIY Shortened Ariel Bridge
    Tarp
    Vented Half-Sock
    Insulation
    DIY synth UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slap straps
    Images
    I tried one out at PCT Days in Cascade Locks and it is quite comfortable while laying on my back. I can't comment on any temperature ratings though, since I just hopped in a display model for an hour or so.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I finally got one of these (insulated) Klymit hammock pads (for about $70 off of MSRP), and I like it (more than I thought I would). It is without question an inferior experience to using an underquilt, but it is an attractive option for using a pad in a hammock, in that it packs relatively small and light, stays in place overnight, and keeps me warm. It was surprisingly comfortable. At some point I'll right a brief review. For me it attempts to offer a solution for hammock bottom insulation that can be stored packed in a small volume indefinitely, which means I can now consider putting a hammock and this Klymit in a vehicle emergency bag. I can't say I'd recommend this pad at full price, but discounted I think it can offer some hammock campers enough utility in niched applications to have some real merit.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Thumbs up Update: Full Review of Klymit Insulated Hammock V Sleeping Pad

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts