Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Klymit sells on ebay as well. I got mine way cheaper by making an offer. I got some Static V's for my kids as well. It may be worth your while to check it out. IMHO

Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    A really smart engineer would design the system with ground sleeping options in case your adventure takes you to an environment with multiple terrains/hanging opportunities.
    Texas Hanger, Who do you think those 'really smart engineers' are? Get cracking brother!
    I bought the cheapest bivy sack REI used to sell. Even better I bought it for $12 in their parking lot sale. It seemed to have a lot of limitations. In my living room, I could barely breathe in it. It even advised leaving it unzipped. The mesh faced straight up--where the rain comes from... I had rain fly designs, but went off to Japan and forgot all about them. The thing was brilliant, I never had any trouble breathing through the mesh outdoors, especially at ten thousand feet in high winds, rain? (I'm still laughing at myself over this one) you just twist it around. Room? it's tight, but a tight bivy has no place for condensation to form. Somebody just made a cheap bivy and it turns out it's brilliant. Meanwhile crowd-funding sites, and a big tent company keep making more and more elaborate and expensive 'stuff' they call bivy sacks. So all a hammock-bivy, hang or ground really needs is a waterproof bottom and some velcro. On the ground, maybe just wrap it around your quilts and you and velcro it to shed rain. One of the biggest issues is keeping the whoopie slings out of the mud. (There might be an issue with quilts and the ground... I own a couple of nice air mattresses and sleeping bags, and I'm a bit dimwitted--so I'm going to work with them for the time being. But we shouldn't all just try to figure out the same things, we should just get started. I'll discover all the reasons sleeping bags and air mattresses don't work in hammocks (or how to work'em), and maybe you can figure out how to use quilts on the ground. (Pick-up trucks and vans. There's never just one way).
    Having come up with some minor 'inventions,' guess what happens when you show them to people who can definitely use them? Nothing happens. Well, they do go through endless iterations of, "Well, it's not quite.... "(Thomas Kuhn's 'The Process of Scientific Revolutions') The only difference between Henry Ford and a crackpot, is Henry Ford is working on his next idea, not just talking about all fools who won't listen. Wait...I'm just jabbering here....

Can these be used on the ground at all? I have a clark NX-270 that can be used on the ground, but I'd prefer to have this below my hammock so I don't wear a hole in the hammock itself.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Yup. No worries. Works on the ground too.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Both the insulated and non-insulated are on massdrop right now. If you are in the market this is a decent deal.
    https://www.massdrop.com/klymit-hammock-v-pad
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjacker View Post
    I'm really curious as to where someone is hiking and there are trees every where but then all of a sudden no trees and they have to camp on the ground? I've never ran into it or seen it. Not to say it doesn't happen or exist but at what percentage would anyone need a hammock/tent combo? If you were being condescending, just ignore my comment. lol.
    Here you go! 3rd night of my first ever hammock backpack trip in Sept 06. I was too sick(altitude) and weak to get over the pass and back down to tree line. It is the only night during that week that I had to spend on the ground, not counting the 1st night when I had to abandon the hammock due to freezing at 22F(user ignorance of how to keep warm in hammock) Of course, sometimes I'd like to camp above tree line, only reason I don't is because I can't hang my hammock. Otherwise have to plan my hikes to sleep below tree line. Then there are places you might come to where hanging is not allowed, or you are required to stay in a shelter I suppose. And then there is the old hammock tear or suspension failure, rare as it is. Second picture was the following night once I got back down o the trees. Don't laugh to hard at my tarp, I was still leaning!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Not sure I’ll ever go back to an inflatable pad. I’ve been through two Kylmit Recon XL pads on the ground and I’ve absolutely babied them. They’ve never even seen the ground - always inflated and stuffed into my sleeping bag, which was inside a bivy cover which was usually on a closed cell foam pad for insulation and moisture barrier. Both have failed and you don’t find out until two hours after laying down, falling asleep, and waking up to a deflated air mattress and associated body pain. First was the valve. Moon dust from desert environments from southeastern California and the western edge of the Sahara. Second one...no idea. Haven’t even looked for the leak. Too irritated to even bother. Huge reason why I ended up ordering my first hammock in the first place.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter haven
    Insulation
    Pine UQ / WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti buckle
    I have been using the Hammock V for well over a year now. Going from 20F (+6c) all the way up to high sixties (19c) It has been rock solid.
    I think much of it's success for me is that it stays put. The sleeping bag fills the voids in the V pattern and it really heats.

There might be an issue with condensation, but I make sure to hang it to dry after every trip, and I can't say I have problems with this.
    The downside is the weight and packability. It's a hefty thing, and packing it in the field is not easy. I usually end up stuffing it in my bag and packign it nicely at home once it's hung for a while to dry.

All in all. I really recommend it. It's Awesome.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    For me, the insulated hammock pad by Klymit was warm, but too heavy and bulky. Inflation of something that big is not fun. It’s also not fun deflating, folding and rolling it up. Especially when you don’t have any dry ground or if you are deep into a stealth camp site with not much of a large enough flat, treeless patch of ground. There is also the fact that your breath is warm, which means that once it cools down, it will result in lower inflation levels. I would much rather use a CCF pad after all things are considered. In reality, I only plan to use a CCF pad as a backup in winter and as my sole bottom insulation for high heat and humidity.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter haven
    Insulation
    Pine UQ / WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti buckle
    I should have mentioned that: I use the pump sack for inflation. It works fine. The deflation/roll/pack is a real problem - I agree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast