Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    50 years ago I could practically run between howitzers with a 200# round on my shoulder, ultra light was the guy with the powder! Today if I carry 15# it's a big deal with a lot of stops but I don't want to go back and I'm very proud to be a wimp .
    M110 8" eh?

Quote Originally Posted by apsilon View Post
    I'm with those that don't think they're terms that are meant to be derogatory. Sure you could intend them that way but I don't assume that's the case. I lighten my gear every chance I get and wouldn't be offended by being called a gram weenie or whatever unless the intent was to offend and even then, I really couldn't care less about some random person I'll never meet on the internet trying to offend me, they won't.

On the topic of people, ultralighters or not, going unprepared intentionally, it's never happened to me mostly because I go solo but it's not my concern if someone has to go without because they didn't carry their own. I generally only carry enough for myself so if someone were to ask to borrow/share something then they'd be declined unless it were truly life threatening. I do agree that assuming a gram weenie is automatically unprepared is also a mistake. As we all know that's an experience thing and/or a conscious decision and isn't related to favouring a light pack.

You have raised a point that perhaps needs attention. Perhaps a term is required for those that refuse to reduce gear weight and prefer to carry heavy loads. Perhaps we can come up with some suggestions? Pound Packer comes to mind.
    Jenny Craigers?

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    That's them. The big boys.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikehunter View Post
    It is all good...... opinions are like A**Holes.......everyone has one and reserves the right to be one.
    And, of course, they all stink. Except mine =)

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Bigger picture.. is there any backpack weight, from 5 lbs to 95 lbs, that doesn't have detractors and terms that could be construed as inflammatory to that group?

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Bigger picture.. is there any backpack weight, from 5 lbs to 95 lbs, that doesn't have detractors and terms that could be construed as inflammatory to that group?
    Hmm - I think "gram weenie" has far more derogatory potential.

It is evident in this thread.

People anecdotally complaining about this or that UL person mooching on the "non-UL" person.

I suppose the "UL folks" can all joke about the people packing "more" weight a bit but there simply is no "fun" terms for someone with say a 29 or 35 lb pack that sticks much in my opinion.

In essence - I find the attempt at a broad equivalency problematic.

Gram Weenies therefore are the only clear persecuted minority surviving a persistent barrage of micro-aggressions or out right insults.

I demand equality of treatment for all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    The internet used to be primarily about sharing and obtaining information and news. It seems that now, in addition to that, it's as much about agreeing/disagreeing with outrage over how someone else acts/interprets the information. It's a downward spiral ...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB/WBSF
    Insulation
    LYNX/WOOKIE
    Suspension
    Dutch strap/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Well we went through this with the term Noobs, Noobies et al.
    Weenies? Gram weenies. Weight weenies. We are backpackers. Aren't they just terms of endearment?
    Should hammock campers just hike with fellow hammock campers? Tent folk with tent folk? Cuben tarp people with cuben tarp people?

I have backpacked with ultralight backpackers and been an ultra light backpacker. Wiped with two squares of TP. Ick.
    I've been a pack mule...slowing down the walk. Ugh.
    Should pack mules only hike with pack mules....or Weight Weenies?
    Gram Weenies (UL'ers) hike only with Gram Weenies.
    Then the Light Hikers can walk fast and sparse. And eat their ramen and have no dessert and shiver through the night. Whilst cleaning themseves with 2 squares of TP and foregoing toothpaste.
    The Weight Walkers can trudge on and enjoy their luxuries at days end. Using a half roll of TP with their morning constitutional. Eating high on the hog with ample dessert as they tuck into their tricked out hammock and overstuffed insulation. And huge tarp.

Hate to see you (OP) leave over this. We have obviously run out of problems in this hobby. Maybe the OP is just having one of those days.....wink.
    I shall now start gloating about my sorta light but comfortable load.
    Call me a Somewhere in Between Heavy & Light Weenie. Or call me a Hot Dog.
    I'll accept it with pride and a sly smile and chuckle. I love my stool.

Shug
    Well said, Shug.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Give the man/woman a snickers - good trail snack too btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I will admit, O&B's original post rubbed the wrong way a bit.

I didn't take any offense at the gram/weight weenie. The wrong-rubbing bit came up when the broad assumption was made that everyone in that category (UL, assorted weenies) goes out ill prepared, mooching, unsafe, and obnoxious.

But honestly, I have no doubt O&B had some bad experiences, and that has steered him away from associating with a whole category of people. I have had my fair share with those who travel heavy. I have been on several trips with people who refuse to listen to any advice on their gear, then end up with a 40lb pack. I end up carrying some of their gear so we can make it to camp. We get there, they still don't have everything they need, like first aid, a pot, or dry socks to sleep in. But they do have that mallet for pounding in their 10" snow stakes and 12 cans of stew! I will admit, getting into the backcountry with people who are under prepared is no fun, and I understand the urge to avoid it.

This is where the ol' HYOY thing comes into play. I will end with a bit of wisdom:

In essentials, unity (hammocks are cool, wilderness is cool, gear is nifty)
    In non-essentials, liberty (best materials, best companies, packing strategies, terrain)
    In everything, charity (like, everything)

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast