Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Being a member of the forum means we have a common bond. Hammocks, hiking, camping, cooking, the piney woods is why we're here. Let's not ruin that because of some difference in style or opinion. Hang your own hang. But, while we're at it I would consider myself a "gram weenie". Here's my response to the "pound packers", I challenge you to a hike off and you can challenge me to a comfort off. We'll see who wins. lol. jk. I've never been to a hang but would love to get together with you guys and gals some time to drink some beer and tell some stories.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wwcdtwins09 View Post
    Yet anytime there's a sniff of ENO talk here, it's followed by "heavy" or some other derogatory term.
    or another example is Kelty, good god you'd think someone suggested something illegal if you recommend a kelty tarp. I've often felt out of place here by the gram counters because I have heavy gear and don't walk 10 miles before setting up, it goes both ways. I have always tried to get the useful info and ignore the snarky comments from UL members. Who knows, I started weighing my gear today so maybe I'll switch sides...

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I agree. But will under no uncertain terms stop using the term "Ground Pounder"
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I agree. But will under no uncertain terms stop using the term "Ground Pounder"
    Ha. I love it.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Can i borrow some food i'm hungry..

I see it more as a term of endearment, its a great term i dont think i will ever reach the privileged few who are called gram weanies but i try.

We are going out on the trail, facing extreeme environments, tough terrain, injury and some pretty dodgy moments. I am personally not worried about terms on an internet site as long as the majority is not offended happy days.
    Dont like memes or banter tho where is the emoji for gumpy face.
    Last edited by Tacblades; 09-15-2016 at 01:13.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    I think folks who are counting grams are more worried about the distance covered than comfort. Granted I've shaved several pounds off of my pack weight due to suggestions I've read from these folks, but in the end I hike to camp not camp so I can hike. If I were shooting for long distance hikes and extended time on the trail I would obsess more with shedding as much weight as possible.

The origional post seemed to be a gentle poke in the ribs, and appeared to be aimed at someone specific. I don't see the term gram weenie as being derogitive at all. Most folks who fit that description have spent a great amount of time, and thought ( and usually money as well ) coming up with workable solutions. More power to them. I'll use some of their ideas, but in the end comfort at the end of the day trumps miles covered to me.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    i have a dog

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    This whole conversation reminded me of a clip from a movie...

Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    I'll pinch in: I'm starting to go the other way! I've spent a few years lightening my pack (on a budget) up to the point where I got it down to 13kg (28lbs) for a 5 day trip including 3L of water and all food. Base packweight was somewhere around 8-9kg (<20lbs).

Since moving to hammocking I've saved another 800gr (1.75lbs) in shelter weight.

However, I've also started hiking less and bushcrafting more, spending the weekend in just 1 spot. For those weekends I take my 4y old son along with me, add a trangia burner and a steel frying pan along with 2 camping chairs and alot of other stuff, not to mention all of my son's gear (weighing in at another 4-5kg's probably).

It's a completely different kind of being outdoors, and I love it! I still plan on going on hiking trips and going out as light as reasonably possible, but if 500grams adds a bunch of luxury, I'll be happy to carry it!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Trail Runner,

I have enjoyed reading your posts about packing light, quitting smoking and other topics. I hope you decide to stay.

Should you decide to stay, you will need to try to learn not to take things so personally, and so seriously.

It's a trap we are all susceptible to. I have taken offence at some of the comments on the forum as well. The problem is that we are all unique individuals and have differing values and opinions.

I have felt belittled because of my pack load being too heavy, and because I no longer care to weigh all my stuff. So be it, I will hike my own hike and let others hike theirs.

O&B relayed personal experience. Many others have as well. If I were to have a bad experience (or more than one) with a camping partner I probably wouldn't go out with them either.

Take a step back, take a breath. Namaste!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast