Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Mason Dixon Trail/ Elk Neck State Park

Our planned hike of the MDT got changed a little BC of the heat we had here on Saturday. I got a campsite in the state park instead, and we just did the trails there. Overall, it turned out to be a nice trip. The park has 13 miles of trails, plenty of amenities and if you get a site around #159( ours) then you'll have a lot of nice trees to hang from. We got to the site around 10 Saturday morning and after setting up camp, decided to do a little hiking. 5 miles later we were back and soaked through with sweat BC of the oppressive humidity. We got cleaned up and cooked some lunch before heading over to the beach for a cool off swim in the Chesapeake Bay. After about an hour, we headed back to camp to eat again and change for another hike. This time we headed out to the lighthouse at the end of the Elk Neck peninsula. After parking the car, its a nice easy mile hike through the woods and green fields of the park to a 100' bluff that the lighthouse sits on overlooking the Chesapeake Bay, Elk, North East and Susquehanna rivers. Took some pics there then headed down the trail to the water for a bit then back up to the main trail and back to the car. After we got back we ate again, had a little fire and crawled into the hammocks about 10 or so. Sunday morning we were up around 730 for breakfast and coffee and after that we broke camp and headed out. The park DOES allow hammocks and the park rangers were really cool with it. We had a pretty good time even though it was hot and humid, after the sun went down it cooled off enough with a nice breeze and I didn't get hot at all in the HH Expedition. I would definitely check it out if your in this area, plenty of trails and lots of good trees to hang from.IMG_3474.jpgIMG_3472.jpgIMG_3506.jpgIMG_3476.jpgIMG_3475.jpgIMG_3492.jpgIMG_3500.jpgIMG_3501.jpgIMG_3498.jpgENSP_campmap.pdfENSFtrailmapfinal.pdf
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I agree! A very nice park with some good trails and nice spots to hang. If you are near to here, def check it out.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Glad y'all had a good time. Looks like a pretty place. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Its gorgeous! I grew up in the area and now live right across the Bay from there, but every time I go its just as pretty. Especially at sun set.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Thanks for the follow up and pic's it's in my folder of "hikes to do" maybe late winter or early spring, any public hunting area near there ?

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Its gorgeous! I grew up in the area and now live right across the Bay from there, but every time I go its just as pretty. Especially at sun set. What a difference a week makes..... Last Saturday when we were there it was sunny and 90° with a low of 72° at night and 90% humidity, fast forward to today and its cloudy and 75° now with a low of 65° tonight and 44% humidity. But we still had a great time even though it was crappy weather for hiking. Last night it got down to around 58° with 15 knot gusts off of the water so I had my Tyhoon fly pitched low and the windward end door on and I still bundled up. Summer is definitely over here( thank god). Some days are still reaching upper 80's but nights are low 70's - upper 50's, great weather for sleeping in a hammock. So hopefully we can go back there again this fall and a few more people that couldn't make this last trip will be able to come next time.

• + New Posts